FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1429002-2013-consolidated-lax-connecting-connection-connections-thread.html)

l etoile Jan 17, 2013 5:47 pm

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Below is a link to the 2012 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2014 thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ax-thread.html

l'etoile
sr. moderator

Information relocated to wikipost 29 Aug 2014.

JDiver
senior moderator

Aloha1 Jan 26, 2013 1:12 pm

T5 Delta Shuttle to T3 VA?

Does Delta still operate the shuttle from Gate 58 in T5 to Gate 39 in T3 for passengers connecting to Virgin Australia? Does this allow you to remain inside the sterile zone or do you have to re clear security?

bzcat Jan 28, 2013 11:36 am

The Delta shuttle was for taking Delta passengers to Alaska flights when Alaska was located in T3. I'm not sure it is still running now that Alaska has relocated to T6.

If it is still running, you definitely stay inside the sterile zone.

p100a Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Quickest way from T5 > TBIT?

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I have am leaving soon and need to know the quickest/easiest way to go from T5 to the INTL terminal, carry on bag only.

Thanks!!

TWA884 Feb 17, 2013 5:04 pm

It's a five to ten minutes walk. Walk on the upper level to avoid fumes, smoke and noise.

Peter Newsome Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Help, with LAX transfers: Melb to LAX (QF) then LAX to JFK (Delta)

Flyer Talk Members,

I need some advise, I am creating my own transfer and have proposed the following flight arrangements. Please advise;

1. Melb to LAX w/ Qantas arriving LA time @ 9.45am

Then a transfer,

2. LAX to JFK w/ Delta Airlines departing LA time @ 11.15am

I like this as it gets me into JFK NYC time @ 8.00pm however please advise me if I would make this connecting domestic flight?

As I have made my own itinerary with separate airlines its not like they will save my flight going from Qantas on to Delta Airlines...

I think it still looks good,

Best
Peter,

luis2k10 Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

I don't think you're giving yourself enough time to connect.

tuapekastar Feb 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Not saying it is impossible, and wait times do vary, but I wouldn't leave anything less than 3 hours for that sort of connection at LAX. Others may disagree.

Ocn Vw 1K Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Peter Newsome, welcome to FlyerTalk! Let's move this to the Los Angeles forum, where the readers there can assist based on their experience. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Wally Bird Feb 18, 2013 7:18 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar (Post 20267662)
Not saying it is impossible, and wait times do vary, but I wouldn't leave anything less than 3 hours for that sort of connection at LAX. Others may disagree.

Published MCT international to domestic is 2 hours. I too would not book anything less than 3.

In your favor it seems QF11 is reasonably reliable according to flightstats.com:

On-time 47 75%
Late 6 9%
Very Late 3 4%
Excessive 6 9%
Canceled 0 0%
Diverted 0 0%
Total Flights 62

redbirdsj Feb 18, 2013 7:55 am

Connection question for a flight I'm considering. Flying LHR-LAX in J, arriving at 1:40pm and connecting to SFO at 3:00pm, all on United with checked luggage. US passport holder. Is 1:20 enough time to clear immigration and customs, collect bag and re-check on United? Or will United check the bag all the way through for me after customs? Also, if it matters, I'll be arriving on J but couldn't get award space on Saver First/Business to SFO, so would be holding a coach ticket for security line purposes.

I suppose I could simply book this and if I miss it, United will put me on the next available flight?

p100a Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks for the info! Im going via SFO now.

TWA884 Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am

Wirelessly posted (htc Evo 4G LTE: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; EVO Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If you are a US citizen with Global Entry and extremely lucky, you just may make this connection. As has been suggested above, any INT to DOM connection at LAX with less than 3 hours between arrival and departure is imprudent.

Peter Newsome Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for the move, understand it fits better here now!

As for the advice its helpful but i'm still tempted. I guess if I cannot make the Delta flight its my own loss though...

Wally Bird Feb 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Peter Newsome (Post 20271869)
Thanks for the move, understand it fits better here now!

As for the advice its helpful but i'm still tempted. I guess if I cannot make the Delta flight its my own loss though...

DL will put you on a future* flight if...
Best case: you explain to DL and they re-accomodate you for free
Likely case: you pay a change fee
Worst case: you buy a walk-up fare.

If you're set on flying Delta (why?), book the 1.30pm (arr 9.45pm JFK) then stand by for the 11.30 am if you get there in time.
Other flights to pick from:
LAX 1:31pm JFK 9:45pm Nonstop 5h 14m United
LAX 1:40pm JFK 10:00pm Nonstop 5h 20m Virgin America
LAX 1:45pm JFK 10:10pm Nonstop 5h 25m American

*might not be the same day otherwise add a hotel stay to the bill