Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 31, 11, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I have a question about LAX, atleast with both T3 and T5, is there a reason that LAX is the only airport that requires a notebook computer be taken out of a checkpoint friendly notebook bag as I thought the entire purpose of a checkpoint friendly notebook bag was so when the bag is opened to go through airport security, it is in it's own clear view compartment without having to remove the notebook computer from the bag.
Old Dec 31, 11, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by meballard View Post
Just walk out of the arrivals level and go out under the Blue sign. The A shuttle will then proceed around to Terminal 1, then 2, then 3. If you walk, just walk along the terminals as the numbers go down to the end of the U. The arrivals (upper) level is usually easier to walk along.
Thank you. Is there then an easy way to get to departures level and security at TBIT or am I better off going up a level at T7 and taking the bus from there? I don't have too much time in between flights but I think I can do it no problem. I have about 1 hour 50 minutes between flights but am nervous as I haven't done this connection before.
Old Jan 1, 12, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by waf125 View Post
Hi all!

This is my first post and I am not sure I am posting my questions in the right place. If not, I am sorry!

I am trying to help my friends. They have had to change their travel plans and now are looking at flying into LAX on Continental. They are then flying Hawaiian Air to HNL. Will a 3 hr layover be long enough? They will be going from T6 to T2.

What is the best way to get from one terminal to the other? They have never been to LAX.

Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

You can walk and follow the map.. its not that long of a walk.. or jump on a bus..

I think they run every 5 or 10 minutes..
Old Jan 1, 12, 4:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vincepoy View Post
I have a question about LAX, atleast with both T3 and T5, is there a reason that LAX is the only airport that requires a notebook computer be taken out of a checkpoint friendly notebook bag as I thought the entire purpose of a checkpoint friendly notebook bag was so when the bag is opened to go through airport security, it is in it's own clear view compartment without having to remove the notebook computer from the bag.
I think it depends on the agents you encounter, not so much the terminal or that it is LAX. Not all TSA (if not most) know all the different rules as to what is allowed or what isn't.
Old Jan 1, 12, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by tenacioustins View Post
Thank you. Is there then an easy way to get to departures level and security at TBIT or am I better off going up a level at T7 and taking the bus from there? I don't have too much time in between flights but I think I can do it no problem. I have about 1 hour 50 minutes between flights but am nervous as I haven't done this connection before.
AFAIK (I don't know the TBIT that well, but from general experience) it's not a problem to switch levels out of security at any terminal. If you are going to walk, I would recommend just walking along the departures level. In that case, when you get off the plane, ignore the signs for baggage claim, and walking along the concourse towards the airport loop. Exit security at that level, and then take it down to the departures level, exit, turn left, and walk along the loop.

If catching the bus, follow the signs to baggage claim, exit to the lower level and go the under the blue sign, then Catch an A bus that should say Departures (I believe), and it will go from T7 lower level to T1 upper level, then T2, T3, and TBIT where you would get off.
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meballard View Post
I think it depends on the agents you encounter, not so much the terminal or that it is LAX. Not all TSA (if not most) know all the different rules as to what is allowed or what isn't.
I thought it was a LAX thing since when I went to SYD via LAX from SFO going through T3, they wanted the laptop out of the bag in a tray, same thing happened when I went to SFO via LAX from SYD in T5, I thought it might have been a LAX thing that they don't recognize Checkpoint friendly bags or something.
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:24 pm

A couple times I went through security at LAX and forgot to take my laptop out of the bag and they didn't even blink...weird!
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

My mom went through LAX enroute to SYD and left the small bottles of unopened shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the bag and they didn't ask either, ofcourse she was in a wheelchair. Perhaps they asked the notebook to be taken out was because I was traveling with someone in a airline provided wheelchair.
Old Jan 1, 12, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A couple times I went through security at LAX and forgot to take my laptop out of the bag and they didn't even blink...weird!
Perhaps they saw the laptop in its entirety in the screening process, and didn't feel that it warranted further inspection..
Old Jan 1, 12, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Perhaps they saw the laptop in its entirety in the screening process, and didn't feel that it warranted further inspection..
That's the only conclusion I could come to. I even left my 3-1-1 bag in the front pocket of that laptop bag and they still didn't notice. Suppose it's probably just the people you get and the terminal you're at...don't know any other explanation!
Old Jan 1, 12, 8:45 pm
Suspended

That's the only conclusion I could come to. I even left my 3-1-1 bag in the front pocket of that laptop bag and they still didn't notice. Suppose it's probably just the people you get and the terminal you're at...don't know any other explanation!
Working at LAX is probably like a dreary twilight zone day in and day out.. The less excitement for the employees, probably the better..
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
The shuttles pick up only on the lower level (please refer to the map that I posted earlier in this thread).

If you walk, I highly recommend doing so on the upper or departure level, it is quieter, less polluted and, very often, less crowded. The the upper roadway, which partially covers the lower level, traps noise, motor vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke on the lower level sidewalk right below it.

It is quite easy to switch between the upper and lower levels by using escalators, elevators and stairs which can be found at all terminals.
Old Jan 2, 12, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The shuttles pick up only on the lower level (please refer to the map that I posted earlier in this thread).

If you walk, I highly recommend doing so on the upper or departure level, it is quieter, less polluted and, very often, less crowded. The the upper roadway, which partially covers the lower level, traps noise, motor vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke on the lower level sidewalk right below it.

It is quite easy to switch between the upper and lower levels by using escalators, elevators and stairs which can be found at all terminals.
Good to know that the shuttle only picks up on the lower level. I probably would have been looking outside T7 at departures level searching for a blue sign like an idiot

I guess my fears from from my difficulty in going from arrivals to departure level before, when going from TBIT to T4 so I am not wanting to get too confused. But I am feeling fairly confident that I can do this. I've never had to go through security again at LAX on the way through since I always have taken a bus airside from T4 to TBIT. If we are early or on time I may consider walking as I will need it no doubt.
Old Jan 8, 12, 2:39 am
Suspended

Good to know that the shuttle only picks up on the lower level. I probably would have been looking outside T7 at departures level searching for a blue sign like an idiot

I guess my fears from from my difficulty in going from arrivals to departure level before, when going from TBIT to T4 so I am not wanting to get too confused. But I am feeling fairly confident that I can do this. I've never had to go through security again at LAX on the way through since I always have taken a bus airside from T4 to TBIT. If we are early or on time I may consider walking as I will need it no doubt.
Seemed to me the shuttles are on street level.. its an automatic default IIRC as there is only one street level at LAX
Old Jan 8, 12, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Seemed to me the shuttles are on street level.. its an automatic default IIRC as there is only one street level at LAX
Umm... There are two levels that carry vehicles traffic at LAX, the upper level (2nd level of LAX where the check-in areas are), and the lower level (1st level where baggage claim is). Shuttles generally pick-up on the lower level, and drop off on the upper level.

Last edited by meballard; Jan 8, 12 at 3:32 am

Search this Thread