Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
So I finally got to sample the much reviled pancake wanderbox, on today's KRK flight.

As everyone has already mentioned what an awful time to serve breakfast.... flight was meant to leave at 11h45 but ended up 12h15. Come on!

On the + side I found the pancakes fluffier than expected and actually ejoyed them. It was better than the pancake I got served on AF 2 days ago, but at least it was actually breakfast time then.

AF's response to KLM's carb wanderbox

The fruit was lacklustre. I asked for some milk to put in my dry cereals, that worked out okay!

physicsdude and Netherlines like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:24 am

Excellent catering on board B78X aircraft LAX-AMS

Maestro Ramen and Netherlines like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:39 am

Almost forgot this anecdote. The Lady sat across the aisle dropped her wanderbox on the floor, face down, as soon as she received it. Undiscouraged, she asked for another and it was promptly offerred.
The aisle was left delicately sprinkled with oats for disembarcation, ike a church path on a wedding day.
Xandrios and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:46 am

I also got the salmon salad the other day, and will get it again in an hour.

Its honestly quite okay. Good enough for me to pass on the lounge 26 food in anticipation. The olives and sundry tomatoes were the star of the show: exquisite.

Not bad.

And ofc AF had a mirror meal

Air France's response to the salmon salad wanderbox.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:24 am

Food review

YYZ to AMS, June 27, business class:

Choice of appetiser between an antipasti thingy or butternut soup . Both were good.

Main meal choice between pasta, chicken, or beef. None of them were bad, per se, but KLM isn't exactly known for their food. I'd say these were pretty bog standard airline food.

Dessert is voice of cheese or sweets. Sweets are usually pretty mediocre but cheese is decent. Also the dessert wine is pretty good.

Breakfast is mediocre and has no choices.

the eggs are terrible, the sauce it's sitting in is like eating acid. the muesli is terrible, the deli meat is basically baloney and the cheese is soggy from the cucumbers.

If you're debating between eating or getting an extra hour of sleep. Choose the sleep.

Note: this menu is identical to the one from YYC, which I flew a month prior. Although there might have been some different interpretations in how the caterers at the different locations prepared and plated KLM's menu.

Last edited by p106_peppy; Jun 29, 2022 at 5:52 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the infamous salmon & pasta salad today with . . . wait for it . . . a warm bread roll!

I was over the moon. Alright, I admit it, maybe not quite.

The roll (no choice) had unceremoniously been plonked on top of the salad box. Cherry on the cake, I guess.

Only three of eight J pax accepted the proffered box. I would like to think that those five refused because they knew what they were in for, but probably not.

The shorthaul J catering remains an embarrassment. Why Wanders wants to be associated with such a crappy product is beyond me. Must be the money.

Johan
mlin32, Carel1, Solevita and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Only three of eight J pax accepted the proffered box. I would like to think that those five refused because they knew what they were in for, but probably not.
If I were one of 5, I'd have refused exactly for that reason. So maybe at least some of them refused because they knew what was coming.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Five empty seats when I OLCI'd, went out full. At least two, probably more, were OpUps or miss-connects, and clueless about the catering. Another two were at best semi-conscious for the entire flight.

As an aside, I'm not sure how some can believe that "it is better for me that they lighten the crowding on the flights than cancel flights". My experience is that CPH flights in both directions go out full, and colleagues flying daily on the route say the same. There are no doubt exceptions now and then, but how that can be better for anybody other than those who through good fortune just happen to end up with an adjacent vacant seat.

Johan
​​​​​​,
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Flying LAS-AMS next week what kind of business meal can I expect?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Amil
Flying LAS-AMS next week what kind of business meal can I expect?
I'd say something similar to longhaul meals in the posts above- not something that you would have high expectations for
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by physicsdude
I'd say something similar to longhaul meals in the posts above- not something that you would have high expectations for
so during my layover go to a buffet and stuff myself lol got it.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Amil
so during my layover go to a buffet and stuff myself lol got it.
Well... onboard food is still better than the lounge buffets imho.

At least the first meal, the "snacks" and breakfasts are much more lacklustre.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

I don't know about how it is currently, but 3-4 months ago (my last WBC trip) I preferred the breakfast over whatever options we got for main course. I guess it really is hit-or-miss depending on the caterer.

food in Y - agreed, the first meal beats breakfast or potential snacks. But then I start wondering if "the food on board" > "food in lounge" claim is still true..
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

Sorry meant for my layover in Vegas. I'll go stuff myself on the strip somewhere lol.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Does anyone have experience taking there own cutlery on board? I hate eating from wooden cutlery they now use in Y so am thinking about taking my own. Will of cause be a blunt butter knife. My concern is on how security looks at this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.