Wiki Posts
Search

KLM refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
If you request a refund.
I haven't. Instead I just rebooked for free, but for lack of a crystal ball that means I'm taking a chance. Wait and see.

Johan
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EricVdb
There are vouchers you can buy from restaurants, which are now closed to trade for a metal.
And then what? Chew, or swallow in one piece and hope for the best?

Johan
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
cause maybe you don't get it, but they don't issue vouchers just so they can mess with their customers. They sort of issue vouchers so they can keep existing...
"oh, but the governments would just bail them out". Guess what. Government can just as well decide to let KLM fail, they've had a 100 year run.
And this is exactly why I’ve been advocating for acting quickly and pursuing chargebacks and going the legal route as soon as possible.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I think this tread really shows the different opinions which we ofcourse should respect.

KLM is for me and my family vital to survive this crisis hence the approach of going for the vouchers.

We (and our money and willingness to except vouchers) is vital for KLM to have a future.

yes, there is a risk we loose it. But the risk is far greater if everyone starts charging back there money.

Also the vouchers probably give KL a better position In negations for loans as those numbers are still on the books.

And for the people who really need the refunds financially. I do hope you get them swiftly back.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Cash

Not all countries only issue a voucher from the company. In the United States and Israel, for example, it is now possible to get the money back. KLM: “Various governments - including the Dutch - have indicated that such an approach is appropriate in the current context and support the issuance of vouchers, provided that such vouchers do not expire within an unreasonably short period and that the voucher can be renewed after one year refunded. The governments of Israel and the United States have decided differently and we have listened to that. There, customers whose flights we canceled will receive a cash refund of their ticket. This is not the case in all other countries. ”
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Georgeb71
KLM: “Various governments - including the Dutch - have indicated that such an approach is appropriate in the current context and support the issuance of vouchers, provided that such vouchers do not expire within an unreasonably short period and that the voucher can be renewed after one year refunded. The governments of Israel and the United States have decided differently and we have listened to that. There, customers whose flights we canceled will receive a cash refund of their ticket. This is not the case in all other countries. ”
I requested a refund from KLM over a month ago, and I have been ghosted since then. I only received an automated message confirming the receipt. I called to follow up, and I was told I would need to wait. I followed up on Twitter and Facebook. In both instances, I was told no refund.

I eventually submitted a complaint to DOT and filed a chargeback, so now I am waiting for this to get resolved.

I really like KLM. I think they are a stellar airline. However, it is a major disappointment how they are handling this situation.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The European Commission has warned Dutch cabinet minister Van Nieuwenhuizen that EC 261 has to be followed. No ifs, no buts. Airlines have to refund tickets if the customer so desires, and if the Dutch government refuses to enforce EC 261 then the EC will start procedures against it.

Source (in Dutch).

Johan
angra, irishguy28 and Squerez like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Great news! Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The European Commission has warned Dutch cabinet minister Van Nieuwenhuizen that EC 261 has to be followed. No ifs, no buts. Airlines have to refund tickets if the customer so desires, and if the Dutch government refuses to enforce EC 261 then the EC will start procedures against it.

Source (in Dutch).

Johan
Great quote also in https://www.upinthesky.nl/2020/04/21...oronavoucher/:

Een woordvoerster van het ministerie zegt met de Commissie te delen dat mensen recht hebben op een teruggave van het geld: “Dat recht blijft overeind, we doen alleen een beroep op reizigers om, als het even kan, een voucher te accepteren. [...]
Translation: A spokesperson for the concerned ministry says that they agree with the commission that passengers have the right to a refund. That right remains, we just urge travelers to accept a voucher if at all possible”.

Well, I guess if you have two options and are flat out refused one of them you’re not being denied the other option, no, you’re just being urged to use the one that’s left.

Goodness, they need to go to a good chiropractor after this is over, with all this bending over backwards that’s necessary to come up with this.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Too funny!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Too funny!
I agree with the comment. In fact, to resume the story, NL doesnt want any coronabonds but (KLM) would issue coronavouchers!
It's clearly ridicolous because it shows how the attitude of the people change when the problem with Covid19 consequences is their and not someone else's.
Anyway, I dont want to go offtopic and develop further my comments. I clearly support coronavouchers and coronabonds too.
We are all in a special situation and we need special measures for everyone: airlines...and people.

On the other hand, more interesting for many of you, I have some flexible intercontinental tickets booked before 1st March for late July.
I will not be able to use them (or postpone). Even if the tickets are flexible and should be reimbursed (with a fee -in my case) in cash, KLM allows me just to ask a voucher.
Personally I have no problems with vouchers but -generally speaking- this is not convenient for those who booked flexible tickets (and so paid more).
Is-it maybe a bug (after all my flight are from late July) or do you think these "new" rules will apply for many months to come also to the flexible tickets?

Last edited by Squerez; Apr 22, 2020 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I feel it is not my duty to save the airlines with my hard earned money. What about the Mom and Pop groceries, or a furniture store or any other business? Why shouldn’t we save them also?
Maybe if you told them you needed that money to help save another business, they might pay out...

Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Source (in Dutch).

Johan
Given the Commission's glacial pace of actually putting word into deed, and actually "moving" against countries, I wouldn't hold my breath.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Squerez
On the other hand, more interesting for many of you, I have some flexible intercontinental tickets booked before 1st March for late July.
I will not be able to use them (or postpone). Even if the tickets are flexible and should be reimbursed (with a fee -in my case) in cash, KLM allows me just to ask a voucher.
Personally I have no problems with vouchers but -generally speaking- this is not convenient for those who booked flexible tickets (and so paid more).
Is-it maybe a bug (after all my flight are from late July) or do you think these "new" rules will apply for many months to come also to the flexible tickets?
This is nuts as this will greatly affect the trust of business travellers and the companies who they travel for.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Airline KLM has dropped plans to increase the bonus of chief executive Pieter Elbers to 100% of his salary following widespread opposition, Dutch media reported on Saturday. The move, aimed at drawing Elbers’ salary more into line with that of Air France’s CEO, was also criticised by the Dutch government, which has a 14% stake in the Air France-KLM combine. According to broadcaster NOS, the plan has now been withdrawn from the agenda from next week’s AGM, a move supported by both Elbers and KLM’s supervisory board. Maximum Elbers earns €525,000 a year plus a maximum bonus of up to 75% of that. KLM wants to increase that to 100%, in line with the situation at the French arm of the country and set the process in motion last year. KLM has already said no bonuses will be paid this year and there will be no profit sharing or dividends until after the crisis is over.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:
I would imagine that this is a good reason to keep my money! So the Dutch government has a large stake in the airlines? This CEO is 49 years old and I guess that he really needs MY money. What a shame!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.