FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   KLM refund (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2015957-klm-refund.html)

Georgeb71 Apr 17, 2020 6:25 am

KLM refund

If you were lucky enough to purchase your KLM ticket in the United States, and the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund. However, if you purchased your ticket in Thailand, as I did, they want to keep my cash for a year and if I don’t use it, they say they will refund it to me. What happens when they restructure and decide to ignore all of the monies that they have collected? Stay tuned as I am not giving up. Their wonderful customer care email address [email protected] is no longer taking emails as they were returned Mailer-daimon. Anyone have any luck with a refund?

Often1 Apr 17, 2020 6:37 am

It doesn't matter where you purchased your ticket. What matters is the routing and possibly the operating carrier(s).

If you purchased a ticket on a flight operated by KL to, from or within the EU, and KL cancelled the flight, you have rebooking rights under EC 261/2004. Practically speaking, this means a reimbursement (refund) within 7 days of the request. The same if your flight is to or from the US. Connections might help here too.

What is your exact routing and what carrier operates each segment? With that information, it is easy enough to provide quick advice as to next steps.

Georgeb71 Apr 17, 2020 7:17 am

KLM refund

I was to fly Bkk to Waw on 25 April, Mxp to Bkk on 11 June. Flight cancelled. I requested a refund they told me about the voucher, reschedule, or change destination. I told them I did not want any of their options I just wanted my money returned. I cut and pasted the EU passenger regulations, including the update on Covid19 stating that it was up to the passenger to decide on all four options regarding cancellation. I opted for refund and they can’t help me on messenger, won’t answer their phones, and now not accepting emails. I’m at a loss which is why I’m posting this.

mfkne Apr 17, 2020 8:36 am

Contact your credit card issuer and initiate a chargeback. I did that with AMEX and got my money back within a few days.

irishguy28 Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am

Are you the same poster that started a thread with an identical title, and also related to Thailand trips, just a few days ago?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-...lm-refund.html

Often1 Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Do not initiate a chargeback until you have your information correctly showing a clear entitlement. If you do, you should see your funds quickly. If you do not, you may well lose your effort and be out the funds.

KL does not serve either BKK-WAW or MXP-BKK.

What is your complete routing and who are the operating carrier(s). The details will matter greatly.

Bogwoppit Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32301890)
Do not initiate a chargeback until you have your information correctly showing a clear entitlement. If you do, you should see your funds quickly. If you do not, you may well lose your effort and be out the funds.

The details will matter greatly.

I assumed proof that KLM cancelled your flights is the only proof one needs? Is this not correct?

ninjalad Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm

I thought that the Dutch government had backed up the KLM voucher only policy ? I had full flex flights cancelled and it seems voucher is only thing available.
I'm not very worried as I will use it when we can fly again

Meneer Guggenheimer Apr 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Yes, all ask for a refund!

...and then wonder next year why there are no flights and if there are flights.. why are they so expensive!

mfkne Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad (Post 32302151)
I thought that the Dutch government had backed up the KLM voucher only policy ?

What the Dutch government backs up is irrelevant in this case as EU law overrules this.

Bogwoppit Apr 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer (Post 32302165)
Yes, all ask for a refund!

...and then wonder next year why there are no flights and if there are flights.. why are they so expensive!

Glad you can afford to subsidize the airline industry. But my broke student no longer has her paid summer internship, has to pay rent both here and in Glasgow where she was studying, and therefore needs her $1200 returned. Pretty certain she will not be able to afford to fly for a long time regardless.

Pays not to judge why people ask for refunds.

Often1 Apr 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit (Post 32302099)
I assumed proof that KLM cancelled your flights is the only proof one needs? Is this not correct?

Which goes to my point, e.g., KL does not serve the two routes in question. Thus, wholly unclear that KL has cancelled anything. EC 261/2004 only applies to the operating carrier.

Until OP returns with the details, it's not worth having an argument about the application of the Regulation.

Georgeb71 Apr 17, 2020 4:55 pm

No, first posting.

Georgeb71 Apr 17, 2020 4:58 pm

The KL flight was Bkk to Ams, Ams to Waw. KL flight from Mxp to Ams, Ams to Bkk.

siw Apr 18, 2020 4:11 am

I had the same scenario LHR-AMS-BKK and BKK-AMS-LHR booked months ago to fly in the first week of April. KLM cancelled same of the flights. Spoke twice to Platinum Service Line (PSL) and one of those times the agent sent a refund request to KLM Cusomter Care Team. Every communication from KLM stated that they will not give a refund - as far as KLM are concerned consumer laws do not exist. I'm a UK citizen and our Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has a series of webpages about what airlines should be doing when they cancel flights. If KLM do not want to release a refund there is nothing you can do about getting the money from them, the law does not apply anymore now that it is not in the airlines favour.

I collected all the cancellation emails, e-ticket, written summary of phone calls etc. and made an AMEX UK dispute. After about 3 weeks still nothing back. Gave up as I expect to lose not matter what evidence I supply, as remember consumer laws do not apply anymore and KLM can do what they like. Asked for a voucher as something is better than nothing. I am 99.999999999% certain that if I tried to use the voucher for the same routing, same cabin and at the same dates (although 1 year later) that the ticket price will be alot more expensive. So I can only wait for 12 months to convert the voucher back into a refund on my credit card - beware that you have to get KLM to do that, they will not do that automatically after 12 months.

Suffice to say. I will not be booking with KLM again unless I have not other option.