Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
According to Schiphol, currently they are only in Departures 2 and 3. However they started to install the machines at all checkpoints.
I never go through Dep 1 but indeed 2 and 3 have them as well as transfer passangers. When I when through last week they were installing more at dep 2 as well as at the transfer security.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The security was a zoo again on Friday evening, at Departures 1 priority line.

Number of bags for secondary seemed to have gone down, but there was noone to man the body scanner! I had to wait two minutes or so until a man even showed up, not to mention the fact the man behind me then had to wait while I was frisked.

As I was getting my stuff together, I noticed some people were sent aside for a frisk down, then sent away by another screener to get their things, no frisk down.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Folks, I have something absolutely remarkable to report (and you can check the date, it's not April's Fools)...

Security at D2 priority was a delight today.

I was greeted by a smiling, polite man directing people ahead of time on process and when to take an open slot (wonderful). It was fairly busy yet wait was minimal. I was informed everything should go in my bag and stay in it. Shoes above the ankle have to come off. I could keep my belt on.

I carry around just about everything that'd set off a scanner in the past. Loose change, a billion cables, camera lenses, two camera bodies, camera accessories (metal... and pointy), some spare batteries, laptop, iPad, some liquids...

Guess what? Went through quick, no secondary. I was on my way in seconds. It was absolutely delightful. If this is the new system, it's working. It was fantastic.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by caliform
Folks, I have something absolutely remarkable to report (and you can check the date, it's not April's Fools)...

Security at D2 priority was a delight today.

I was greeted by a smiling, polite man directing people ahead of time on process and when to take an open slot (wonderful). It was fairly busy yet wait was minimal. I was informed everything should go in my bag and stay in it. Shoes above the ankle have to come off. I could keep my belt on.

I carry around just about everything that'd set off a scanner in the past. Loose change, a billion cables, camera lenses, two camera bodies, camera accessories (metal... and pointy), some spare batteries, laptop, iPad, some liquids...

Guess what? Went through quick, no secondary. I was on my way in seconds. It was absolutely delightful. If this is the new system, it's working. It was fantastic.
Do they some new sort of scanners?

I pass through every couple of weeks, and I've never really had an issue. Wait times have never been too bad. I even sometimes go through the Schengen security if it doesn't look too busy when I exit the Privium lounge, and then go back to non-Schengen using Privium card.

The only issue is the very small trays at security. I generally need 5... so it's quite a struggle to sort that out!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Departures 2 has a new scanner on the right side of the Priority line. There is one in Departures 3 too. Eventually these scanners will replace all the old ones.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:46 am

I had the pleasure of using one of the new scanners yesterday. I hadn't read the most recent posts in this thread, so was dreading going through security at Schiphol (which I don't do very often as I am usually in transit). Using the new scanner was an absolute delight!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
I used one of the new scanners in Departures 3 yesterday, where they also had a separate queue for small bags (basically laptop backpacks). Slightly unfortunately I was so used to the old system that I had my computer etc out the bag before I was told that it wasn't necessary any more.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Recently I passed through the security screening at the BA First section of T5 at LHR on 3 separate occasions. With the exact same contents in my bags, I had no issues, without any need for secondary compared to the 2x out of 3 that my bag was shifted to the secondary screening while at AMS. I really give up, don't understand why Hal1 security is such a PITA (now that I know they are different companies) has such badly trained staff or machine. Really frustrating.
Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: FB platinum
I just passed through the transfer security at AMS, coming from HKG and on my way to Paris. I had the pleasure to use one of the new scanners, just took my liquids out and.... no secondary!! Although I had laptop + tablet + camera + batteries + cables + ...
Very impressed, very efficient.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Schengen T1 this afteroon.

The good news: only one person ahead of me, zero bags at secondary.

The bad: my bag went to secondary. Why? A bunch of keys. Needless to say, these keys have been traveling the world for years and years, yet have not been deemed worthy of scrutiny at any of hundreds of security checkpoints, including countless times at AMS. Until today. You gotta hand it to them, they are masters at detecting imaginary threats.

Johan
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Another stellar experience at T1 priority security this morning.

Well, to be fair, there was a lot good going on.
  • There was next to no line in priority
  • Agents were making use of lines 3 and 4 as Priority, only granting overflow access to non-prio as available
  • The amount of lecturing was very limited, agents in priority lines finally getting the memo that the person in front of you with that Privium/Gold/Platinum card probably knows the rules
All that unfortunately overshadowed by the fact that I was very literally stuck at line 2 for almost 10 minutes, it got so bad, I was just about to grab my things and switch to line 1. Almost every bag got sent to secondary, it getting so bad that I didn't even get a box dispensed. Virtually all of them were in secondary, queued up all the way into the x-ray scanner.
Seems that it got slightly better after positions were rotated, but I still watched about half of all trays going to secondary while waiting for my stuff (luckily, I got to walk away without further delay). At the same time, only about two trays went to secondary from the other scanner...
I imagine for the poor Asian girl who was at the scanner before me and had a bag sent to secondary the difference between being sent left or right must have been at least 15 minutes. One more reason I can't wait for airside Privium lounge for Schengen.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The amount of lecturing was very limited
Congratulations!

I got the usual instructions at checkpoint 1 on Tuesday. Not only that, but the very polite agent manning the tray station also thought it necessary to explain the reasoning behind every order he gave me. It was as if he had memorized a manual for an exam, and had then gone into parrot mode on the job.

Johan
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to disabuse any optimists out there: it was business at usual in T1 this afternoon.

The "priority" lane was packed with regular pax, and at all the checkpoints I could see more than half the bags were sent to secondary.

Plus ça change . . .

Johan
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The bad: my bag went to secondary. Why? A bunch of keys. Needless to say, these keys have been traveling the world for years and years, yet have not been deemed worthy of scrutiny at any of hundreds of security checkpoints, including countless times at AMS. Until today. You gotta hand it to them, they are masters at detecting imaginary threats.
But you could keyll someone with those!!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Went through Departures 2 checkpoint last week with bag pack, and a cabin trolley, including liquids, iPad, 2 portable chargers, a bottle of water (yes!) and the usual electronincs such as adapters, shaver, camera etc.

I was told to take nothing out of the bag, on which I was amused if he was sure. The employee told me about the new machine, so let see... and yes, all was checked at once without secondary inspection. A first time for me at AMS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.