Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
why o why?
Henpecked at home, they take it out on their customers at work?

Johan
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Gotta say security at 1A (prio) was a breeze this morning. Never got bullied about foot marks either, at 1 nor 1A. I haven't gone through the other ones within the last year.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Henpecked at home, they take it out on their customers at work?

Johan
Or because they’re bored.

Btw, I’ve experienced the same of late (yellow foot calisthenics, not henpecking).
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other day at AMS I had an exasperated complaint from the security guy because I left a handkerchief in my pocket during the nude-o-scope.

"It's a security check, everything out of pockets, do you not understand?"

I have been through a lot of "security checks" in my time and no security scanner has ever been confounded by a fabric handkerchief before.

Every time I think air travel is getting better someone makes it worse.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:17 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Their attitude is abysmal and should really be addressed. However in this case the reason why your pockets need to be empty can be explained: The scanners are different than those at most other airports. They don't only detect metal objects but will see *any* kind of object. So having anything in your pocket will trigger a manual search.
caliform likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
So having anything in your pocket will trigger a manual search.
As would indeed having pockets.
Zembla likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
So having anything in your pocket will trigger a manual search.
That will usually be a full head-to-toe pat-down, regardless of which areas the scanner has highlighted.

Johan
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Perhaps Johan looks like the suspicious type (Joking of course!) but that is not my experience. At least not very often. When the machine highlights a specific ankle/shoe for instance, they generally only check that area. And indeed that may be triggered simply because you are wearing your left sock on the right foot..who knows
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
On Friday night I went through security on arrival from my flight from Xiamen. I was directed to the leftmost security line. Unfortunately for me this was a training line so almost every bag was sent to security. When I complained that the training was obviously inadequate I had the pleasure of having every single item in my backpack thouroghly searched. Surely, if the are letting these recruits loose on real customers the should be properly trained.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Departures 3 Privium gates close today. This may cause longer queues at the priority checkpoints in Departures 2. New ones will be up and running from February 1st.

All Privium gates are due for replacement this year, which will lead to rolling closures. At some locations the number of gates will double.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ardecos
On Friday night I went through security on arrival from my flight from Xiamen. I was directed to the leftmost security line. Unfortunately for me this was a training line so almost every bag was sent to security. When I complained that the training was obviously inadequate I had the pleasure of having every single item in my backpack thouroghly searched. Surely, if the are letting these recruits loose on real customers the should be properly trained.
For me when I end up in this situation and after I have had everything checked and received all of the items back, I will request for a supervisor to question them about this. Of course do this only if you have time and not rushing off to catch a flight. The next step is complain to Schiphol (they will forward your complain to the Defense ministry department - they are the one responsible for the security at AMS), this helps to add a data point about complaints.

Cheers!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: FB platinum
I went through transfer security this morning (DXB - AMS - CDG). The wait was about 3-4 minutes (no priority queue), and the guy monitoring the x-ray in my line was a hero: not a single bag out of (at least) the 10 people before me and 5 after me was sent to secondary. I was very impressed, the whole thing was super fast
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lynxy
not a single bag out of (at least) the 10 people before me and 5 after me was sent to secondary.
Lucky you!

I mostly manage to avoid having my bags sent to secondary these days, but that's only because I have learned to remove everything that might potentially cause offense and place these items neatly spaced in a separate tray. Given the amount of time I spend (un)packing, I don't really save that much time in the end.

Johan
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I mostly manage to avoid having my bags sent to secondary these days, but that's only because I have learned to remove everything that might potentially cause offense and place these items neatly spaced in a separate tray. Given the amount of time I spend (un)packing, I don't really save that much time in the end.
At transfer security, you are not supposed to take anything out of your bags. Only whatever you have on you should be removed and put in the trays, so there should be minimal time lost (un)packing. I guess it's not the same when originating from AMS, then?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lynxy
At transfer security, you are not supposed to take anything out of your bags.
I believe that depends on whether the checkpoint in question has a new or old scanner.

Went through regular security at CPH this morning. Despite having at least 100 pax ahead of me in line, the whole process didn't take much longer than priority security in AMS usually does.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.