Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
The employee told me about the new machine, so let see... and yes, all was checked at once without secondary inspection. A first time for me at AMS!
Let me take a wild guess here: the priority checkpoints will be the very last to get these fancy newfangled machines.

Johan
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Let me take a wild guess here: the priority checkpoints will be the very last to get these fancy newfangled machines.

Johan
Probably.
I'm seriously considering taking the Departures 2 tomorrow and then transfering back to Schengen... if there's one thing I hate about AMS, it's the security situation.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:03 pm

Three's some kind of a new scanner on Departures 1 first (priority) line. Looked slightly prototypish to me, but that's beside the point.

Anyway it takes the form of two big plates one against other, you stand in the middle facing one of them. Posture slightly different, arms away from the body, but not raised.

Good: it seems to be faster than the old kind, quite a bit
Bad: it doesn't help much when the bottleneck is in repacking. Also, I was forced to take offmy belt, which I usually don't have to do in the old scanner (though that might just be because it's in testing, and will be allowed in normal operation)

Sidenote: some of you might not quite believe me, but again I have to say, good old Crown Lounge food offer... Aspire lounge offer is just totally useless. Hopefully this will get better in the new lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:35 am

I went through 1A this morning, and while it's true that passengers don't seem to understand "take your liquids out of your bag", every bag went to secondary.

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Aspire lounge offer is just totally useless. Hopefully this will get better in the new lounge.
I went to the aspire Schengen lounge and the breakfast items were more than passable. I agree with you that over lunch and dinner it's laughable.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:53 am

Sidenote: some of you might not quite believe me, but again I have to say, good old Crown Lounge food offer... Aspire lounge offer is just totally useless. Hopefully this will get better in the new lounge.
No, I seriously don't believe you - come on, this just can't be classed as food

[There was, however, a somewhat decent choice in terms of fruit, yoghurts & smoothies]

P.S.: picture taken yesterday.

G
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
No, I seriously don't believe you - come on, this just can't be classed as food

[There was, however, a somewhat decent choice in terms of fruit, yoghurts & smoothies]

P.S.: picture taken yesterday.

G
I shall take a picture next time I'm in there.
For reference - there is a warm option for breakfast in Aspire lounge. Pancakes.

Unless they ran out, which does happen.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:26 am

I shall take a picture next time I'm in there.
For reference - there is a warm option for breakfast in Aspire lounge. Pancakes.

Unless they ran out, which does happen.
Ha, I shall look forward to that

And I wish more lounges would follow suit and offer some decent sushi like in SCL (still not like the one I normally get from Sushi Chef here in Warsaw, but hey-ho...)

[For the records, this is in the lounge used by AZ, I don't recall seeing any sushi in the DL SkyDump at SCL.]

[/OT]

G
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
Went through Departures 2 checkpoint last week with bag pack, and a cabin trolley, including liquids, iPad, 2 portable chargers, a bottle of water (yes!) and the usual electronincs such as adapters, shaver, camera etc.

I was told to take nothing out of the bag, on which I was amused if he was sure. The employee told me about the new machine, so let see... and yes, all was checked at once without secondary inspection. A first time for me at AMS!
You were lucky. I tried my luck at departures 2 too on a non-Schengen flight in April but....a) the new machine was extremely slow, much slower as the machines in the regular lanes, and b) my luggage still had to go to secondary. When I asked why, the security officer said I probably had coins in my luggage. Ach ja. You travel to Indonesia, Malaysia, China and the Phillippines, and I had of course put some leftover currency from previous travels in my hand luggage. This is not any problem in almost any airport in the world I went through in the last 2-3 years, but at Schiphol it is. Even with the new machines.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So besides the new luggage check xray machines, they are also testing new body scanners. One is operational at Shengen security check (Priority lane).

Right now they ask you to stand still, but the idea is that this hardware is capable of having the passengers just walk past. Hopefully they manage to get this setup to the point that this will actually be possible!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
I had of course put some leftover currency from previous travels in my hand luggage. This is not any problem in almost any airport in the world I went through in the last 2-3 years, but at Schiphol it is.
Don't worry. Once AMS security has figured out how to spread the gospel, the whole world will understand that extremist coins pose a grave and immediate existential threat that calls for severe measures.

Johan
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Right now they ask you to stand still, but the idea is that this hardware is capable of having the passengers just walk past. Hopefully they manage to get this setup to the point that this will actually be possible!
Maybe they should ask CPH how they do it. Have never had to stand still there.

Johan
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:07 am

Johan
It barely matters... the wait is for the secondary anyway
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Johan
Or any other major airports in the world....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Luchtvaartnieuws, security staff staged a work-to-rule protest today, causing long lines at checkpoints.

I thought they worked to rule 24/7, and made up the rules as they went along as well?

Johan
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

According to Luchtvaartnieuws, security staff staged a work-to-rule protest today, causing long lines at checkpoints.

I thought they worked to rule 24/7, and made up the rules as they went along as well?

Johan
I reckon passengers were so gobsmacked by the fact that they only had to follow rules, they were reluctant to leave the screening area without a secondary.

otherwise I don't know. Security and parking is the only problem with Schiphol. But security is worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.