Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
The attitude is really something. I went into priority Security 2, dreading the usual process. Love the Privium gate there, by the way: it puts you in the same line as the regular BP scanner. Why bother? Anyway...

As I walk up, the man curtly tells me to keep all my stuff in my bag. "It's a camera", I explain, as the cameras always go secondary if they're not taken out. No, I am assured, it has to stay in the bag.

Bag goes to secondary.

"What's in here, sir?" — A ca-- "CAMERAS HAVE TO BE OUTSIDE THE BAG SIR"

I hope you escalated this on spot, and called in the first guy with his smart *ss behavior?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
I hope you escalated this on spot, and called in the first guy with his smart *ss behavior?
It's useless - I've done this before and they will not do much. These people they will protect each other's back and they will never take any real action. Unless it is something that cannot be "unproven" than they might just apologize with the usual story and that's it.

I do hope that now with the upcoming renovation (which I believe is most probably swapping all the machines (ka-ching to the company that made it and those at Schiphol that went for it) where you do not need to remove items - this will be a big welcome. Although six months for that does sound a bit too long as that area if I remember correctly is < 2 years old since the last renovation.

Cheers!
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Due to the renovations for the new security filter, access in Departure Hall 1 will be changed from the 1st week of October. As a Privium member, you will unfortunately also be effected by this.
If you face the current filter in Departure Hall 1, the left part (including the Privium gates) will close on 2 October. For the time being you can use the Privium gates at the following places:

1. The Privium gate on the right-hand side of the current filter in Departure Hall 1 (at check-in rows 1-2) can be used for now.

2. A temporary security filter will be opened on 2 October as a replacement capacity for Departure filter 1. There will be 1 Privium gate. This temporary filter will be in the hallway to Departure Hall 1A.

3. A Privium gate is also located in Departure Hall 1A itself.

Also, for the same renovation, the arrival border passage if you come from D-pier 1st floor (for European non-Schengen flights in particular) will close completely. This will happen on 1 October for a 6-month period. You will be referred on the spot to an alternative passport check. This will generally be the arrival filter at the E pier.
What about SkyPriority security? Is that also moved to 1A?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Although six months for that does sound a bit too long
I think that they are going to move the whole shebang up one level, just like Departures 2 and 3.

Johan
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mfkne
What about SkyPriority security? Is that also moved to 1A?
The Privium email doesn't specify, but it stands to reason that SkyPriority will retain access to Priority line in the same way as it is elsewhere (including existing 1A checkpoint)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The Privium email doesn't specify, but it stands to reason that SkyPriority will retain access to Priority line in the same way as it is elsewhere (including existing 1A checkpoint)
Right, but I'm curious about the temporary location of the priority security checkpoint, as I assume it's the whole priority security checkpoint in departures 1 will be unavailable and not just Privium. For Privium there's the alternative on the right of the checkpoint, but I don't think that's usually available for regular priority pax. I know that there's a priority entrance in 1A, but it's a trek there and back if you want to access the lounge for instance.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'd like to know this too. Flying out of AMS this Saturday morning and would like to use the priority lane..preferably as close to the lounges as possible. If anybody is visiting Schiphol these days please do let us know!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I flew out Monday and priority on departures 1 was moved from the extreme left where it is usually, to the extreme right. Long queues, I believe there was only 20% who escaped secondary screening. The walkway that brings you up from train station level to departures was in renovation (one of them), the other closed when I arrived. So everybody had to take the narrow stairs or the one elevator, leading to a traffic jam of pedestrians with luggages. Again, well done Schiphol.....
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
I flew out Monday and priority on departures 1 was moved from the extreme left where it is usually, to the extreme right. Long queues, I believe there was only 20% who escaped secondary screening. The walkway that brings you up from train station level to departures was in renovation (one of them), the other closed when I arrived. So everybody had to take the narrow stairs or the one elevator, leading to a traffic jam of pedestrians with luggages. Again, well done Schiphol.....
There was always priority security on both sides, and yes that walkway is closed for over a week now which is quite annoying.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
I'm now to the point that I try to avoid schiphol as starting point and start from DUS so I can make at least 10XP extra..

2 weeks ago it took 24 minutes in the priority lane (normal line was >90 min). EVERY BAG went secondary because of a new guy training the secondary screening.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut
2 weeks ago it took 24 minutes in the priority lane (normal line was >90 min). EVERY BAG went secondary because of a new guy training the secondary screening.
One wonders why on earth they would want to use the priorty checkpoints to train newbies, when they have any number of regular ones to choose from?

Johan
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:05 am

One wonders why on earth they would want to use the priorty checkpoints to train newbies, when they have any number of regular ones to choose from?

Johan
Fewer people per hour means more time to carry out the training. Or something like that.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Johan
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Fewer people per hour means more time to carry out the training. Or something like that.
This is just ridiculous, they should not be doing this in either priority nor normal lines. If they want to do this training, they can pick out the low peak hours. However it is still crazy that a person in training should lead to 90% of bags going secondary - there is an "expert" to correct the decision this person in training. [but truthfully most of these people trained or not trained are just incompetent and they seem to be there just to show who is the boss...]

I cannot stress enough - please complain either on the spot (after you have your bags back - so they don't have an excuse to show their authority by holding or delaying your secondary bag checks ) to a supervisor and write to the Ministry of Defense (responsible for them security at Schiphol and email on the Schiphol website). The more people that complains, hopefully something will be done.

Cheers!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by nldogbert
This is just ridiculous, they should not be doing this in either priority nor normal lines. If they want to do this training, they can pick out the low peak hours. However it is still crazy that a person in training should lead to 90% of bags going secondary - there is an "expert" to correct the decision this person in training. [but truthfully most of these people trained or not trained are just incompetent and they seem to be there just to show who is the boss...]

I cannot stress enough - please complain either on the spot (after you have your bags back - so they don't have an excuse to show their authority by holding or delaying your secondary bag checks ) to a supervisor and write to the Ministry of Defense (responsible for them security at Schiphol and email on the Schiphol website). The more people that complains, hopefully something will be done.

Cheers!
I am sympathic to your call, since I think it is true. All the time I say to the Schiphol security staff, that what happens in terms of bags going to secondary or number of people in need of manual check is special for Schiphol (yes, what I see it is 80%!). But then these lowly level people checking the X-ray results or that tap you once you had again something suspicous when you went through the X-ray gate are (sorry) the nobodies. They will not pass any complaint up to above. We should have a separate letter on a separate website where we can subscribe/support statements like 'This and this is only happening at Schiphole - and we have been at 100s of other places'.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I just passed security to Schengen. They have opened a security checkpoint in between the old 1 and 1a checkpoints (far right of the departures 1 hall, just before the walkway towards 1a).

However, it does not seem that there is any priority security there. It's signposted as a check for small bags only, so presumably no trolleys allowed.

Saturday morning at 10am the place was deserted and a number of the checkpoints had 0 pax at them. So I was through in no time.

However if traveling with a trolley bag - I don't think you will be allowed to use this checkpoint and chances are that you will have to go to 1a.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.