Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jetBlue All-you-can-Jet pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Pretty much. Since I cannot stop at any of the places all that long due to work constraints I've decided to see how many B6 stations I can visit. Doing crazy things like JFk-BUF-BOS-JFK on the morning of the 8th (6:05am departure is one of the earliest on the day the whole thing starts) and getting back to JFK in time to get to work at noon is just part of the fun for me.
You're wacky. I like it!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I may get the pass; still need to figure out whether I fly to the Caribbean on all four weekends.

I am a little surprised that this thread hasn't generated more posts. In terms of value, for someone flying four or more times, the value is at least as great as, say, the free Icelandair tickets in 2004, but that threat grew to be a monster. JetBlue isn't as big as the legacy carriers, but it is somewhat bigger that Icelandair.
No miles earned and it isn't all that cheap relative to the KEF deal.

As for going to the Caribbean all 4 weekends, be ready to drop about $100/trip extra in taxes.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
No miles earned and it isn't all that cheap relative to the KEF deal.

As for going to the Caribbean all 4 weekends, be ready to drop about $100/trip extra in taxes.
I hear you, but:

1. On the IcelandAir deal, JFK-KEF flights didn't earn miles on codeshare partners, and few people would have valued earning Icelandair's miles. IIRC, the other routes did permit partner accrual.

2. I appear to be getting ~$750 of value (domestic flights/taxes + international flights, minus $599) based on four weekends. Plus there is a ton of option value. Last-seat availability and no change/cancel penalties up to 72 hours before should count for something -- I will be able to rearrange my weekends, for instance, if a friend in FLL happens to be in town on a given weekend. This has to be in the ballpark as Icelandair, and I expect a number of people will get substantially more value.

I also two of the Cyprus tickets, but was ultimately unable to use either one, due to their limited flexibility.

This value can't compete with J to AKL, etc. but it's not trivial.

3. Iceland was 5+ years ago, when Flyertalk was that much smaller than today.

4. Most mistake fares are up for only a few hours - I think Lima (which was ultimately dishonored) and Cyprus were <1 hour, and Icelandair was insanely long at 12 hours. This offer will have been available for over a week.

I'm also wondering, given how large FT is, whether we can draw any conclusions about how many of these B6 is selling, in light of having only ~100 posts on FT. To be certain, B6's motive was partly to get the massive free publicity, and they succeeded on that front, but I am really surprised that this thread is still at ~100 posts.

Last edited by Spent_All_My_Miles; Aug 17, 2009 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
With the hurricane season in the Caribbean, what could we expect from B6 regarding the changes to booked flights, if say, a hurricane lands within 3 days of travel date? Anybody thought about that? I would like to go to SJU for a weekend and perhaps to AUA. While the latter is below the hurricane belt, the former is clearly not.
Actually SJU (San Juan, PR) is prone to late hurricane season storms. Late Aug - Nov storms are more likely to cross PR and Cuba (usually crossing PR as a Weak cat 1 at the most) and curve up into the Gulf of Mexico.

My guess is that they would wave the $100 fee for changes/cancellations within the 3 days if it's a storm affected area.

From the AYCJ pass rules:
"A customer traveling on a Pass is subject and entitled to all provisions of JetBlue’s Contract of Carriage except those regarding fare refundability rules, Bill of Rights compensation, and denied boarding compensation."

So if you fly there, there's a mechanical that cancels the flight, you don't get anything other than a rebook on the next flight.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:43 am
Original Poster

I hear you, but:
All good points, though I believe the LCA deal was up for more than an hour; I know I bought a couple, canceled because the dates wouldn't work for the wife and then bought more, which I couldn't have done in one hour.

I agree that value can be derived from the pass, but the value isn't necessarily enormous. I have no idea what the retail value of my tickets purchased thus far actually are. I should probably figure that out (just checked and PSE-LGB on my first big itinerary is already at $624, all on its own!). But there is also no way I'd be buying them at all were it not for the pass, so I'm not sure it translates. Four weekend trips that are listed at $250-$300 each come out for $599 plus the international taxes. You save a couple hundred dollars, but the value also depends on flying multiple weekends in a row. That isn't something that everyone can do. Just getting one trip out of the pass isn't really worth much in most cases.

This is certainly a ton of fun, but I do not think the true value proposition is there as much for most folks.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:01 am

I have no idea what the retail value of my tickets purchased thus far actually are. ... But there is also no way I'd be buying them at all were it not for the pass, so I'm not sure it translates.
The opportunity cost of these flights (to nowehere?) (the value of your time, if you did not fly), reduces the value further. But if you derive pleasure out of that, than the value is still probably positive.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm also wondering, given how large FT is, whether we can draw any conclusions about how many of these B6 is selling, in light of having only ~100 posts on FT. To be certain, B6's motive was partly to get the massive free publicity, and they succeeded on that front, but I am really surprised that this thread is still at ~100 posts.
Must've sold plenty. JetBlue is ending the deal tonight at 10pm Eastern instead of Friday because of the demand.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Well they may be ending it early just to drive some impulse purchases, and maybe to get a little more buzz and publicity going today eg "suddenly, your last day to buy."
I've noticed this week the buzz and publicity has died down a lot so this move might get it going at least a little.

I would have probably bought it for certain if they did not have the $100 cancellation penalty. Say I booked to go to JFK for dinner after work one night, and decided not too at the last minute, I wouldn't want to pay $100.

Other reasons I held off were the rules on even same day changes and to lesser extent the 3 day booking requirement.

Even if they made it all standby for the day of departure would have probably bought it.

I will think about it one more time today. Also did not buy it because it would ding my quallification for elite status on other carriers.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:52 am

Anyone have any tips on what to do with baggage when not staying in a city overnight (thus not having access to a hotel with a baggage hold)?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmannion
Anyone have any tips on what to do with baggage when not staying in a city overnight (thus not having access to a hotel with a baggage hold)?
Don't bring any.

It depends on the airport. JFK has left luggage facilities in T4. Any airport with a hotel attached can be useful as a bellman will almost certainly hold your bag in exchange for a few dollar tip.

Any specific cities that you're concerned with?

Also, several folks who did purchase are being interviewed this afternoon for a piece on time.com. I'll share the link once I have it.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:10 am

LA area airport question

When doing this deal I want to fly from LA area to LAS, but I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate cost to travel from WeHo to either Burbank or Long Beach via one of the van services? Which is closer?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:00 pm

Shoot, if only I could pull Little Callinectes out of school for three weeks. She'd be experiencing Social Studies and Geography first hand! Bummer.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:20 pm

[snip]
Any specific cities that you're concerned with?
Thanks for the info - the only city I'll have this issue at is SLC.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmannion
Thanks for the info - the only city I'll have this issue at is SLC.
http://www.airwise.com/airports/us/SLC/SLC_08.html says that there are no left luggage facilities at SLC. And the map doesn't show any airports on premises.

Pack light.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Passes selling out--only available until 8PM today MT

B6 is only making passes available until 8PM mountain time today, so hurry if you are going to buy a pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.