Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue "Move to Mint" Certificate Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue "Move to Mint" Certificate Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by artificialard
Trying to plan my certificate use through the year…

Does anyone know if I have confirmed Mint with my certs for a flight next year 2025, but don’t re-qualify, do I retain Mint for that flight?
The CORRECT answer as found in the terms and conditions is “Move to Mint certificates are valid to use for travel by their expiration date”. So you cannot confirm a move-to-mint upgrade for 2025 with a certificate that expires 12/31/24
artificialard likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:35 pm

4 MTM certs JFK-CDG. No thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shoodawg
4 MTM certs JFK-CDG. No thanks!
I used 4 certs on JFK-CDG. My dates were somewhat limited and my objective was to fly round-trip in Mint both ways. After about 20 purchases and refunds, I finally found a CDG-JFK for 2 certs and paired it with my preferred JFK-CDG for 6 total. Except for this one flight, every segment I purchased on this route (either JFK-CDG or CDG-JFK) was asking for 4 certs. I found some BOS-CDG and CDG-BOS for 3 each but couldn't find a round-trip that worked for me that totaled 6 or less. My wife was able to use her 4 certs on BOS-CDG-BOS though, so it is possible to find them for 2 segments.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:48 pm

What would happen if AH books a ticket for himself and someone else and moves to mint and then cancels his ticket?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by myb821
What would happen if AH books a ticket for himself and someone else and moves to mint and then cancels his ticket?
Well the terms say “Move to Mint certificate holder must be traveling in order to use certificate(s).” So presumably both upgrades will be cancelled and the certificates returned to the account when the record gets divided and AH’s ticket is cancelled
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
JFK-LGW in August for 2 MTM certificates (after some trial and error), plus SFO-JFK on a Saturday morning in August for 1 certificate! JFK-LGW cash price was around $1500 for Mint.

This repeated booking-and-cancellation process is inane, though.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
As a data point, the mosaic line kept me in mint with no additional cost/certs on a different flight (same day) after an a/c swap deleted mint from my flight.

Also, in order to do so, the agent said she had to deduct a new MTM cert and refund the old one. Odd process and I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have more certs in my account. Plus the refunded cert got lost in the ether due to the original booking being made with P2's points, and that required another call to fix.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:45 pm

Was the new flight a different amount of certs - or did she just collect the amount the system told her was required?!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Was the new flight a different amount of certs - or did she just collect the amount the system told her was required?!
Great question, and honestly can't answer that for certain because I didn't want to double book on the same flight to check the MTM price, but I am almost certain that the new flight was more certs because: (1) it cost more certs when I originally booked, (2) the cash price for mint when I rebooked was nearly $2k, and (3) there was no change to the points price, which seems to suggest that the whole thing was an even exchange.
BeantownFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Booked two tickets, CDG to JFK, in Blue for 40,700 miles each. Was able to confirm mint for both tickets, 2 certs each and $60 cash fee each. Overall, I would say this is a very good points redemption and use of certificates (especially considering I get 10% of the points back once I fly). Will probably use the remaining two certs on a transcon to California. I may actually buy some JetBlue points with the current 90% bonus promotion after this, the points can have pretty good value.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I just booked 2 trips, DTW-SFO, for later this year. All with miles from the credit card promotion. Used my 6 certs to move to Mint on 3 of the 4 trans-cons (2 per). Happy that JB decided to make the offer to Delta elites last year.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Can't make rhyme or reason of the MTM pricing but here we are:
1. SFO-JFK-LGW for August. Required 1 cert for SFO-JFK + 2 certs JFK-LGW = 3 certs total. Fare difference around $1700. If I'd just booked JFK-LGW, fare difference on that sector would have been around $900.
2. SEA-JFK for December. Required 3 certs (only redeye with a lie-flat, and completely inflexible on when I need to fly, so I bit the bullet). Fare difference $550.

Not thrilled about #2 but at the end of the day, 6 certs - from the DL status match -- burned on SFO-JFK, JFK-LGW, and SEA-JFK isn't a bad haul. This, plus some other paid flying and CC spend, might just be enough to help me get to Mosaic 3!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:45 am

I found that on route like SEA-JFK it's related to fare difference, when fare difference is under $400 then it's 1 cert, $400-$600 3 certs, >$600 4 certs or even no move to mint allowed.
But on other routes with more flights to NYC per day, it's usually 1-2 certs. I guess the scarcity of the route matters more than price difference.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:37 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by phxh
I found that on route like SEA-JFK it's related to fare difference, when fare difference is under $400 then it's 1 cert, $400-$600 3 certs, >$600 4 certs or even no move to mint allowed.
But on other routes with more flights to NYC per day, it's usually 1-2 certs. I guess the scarcity of the route matters more than price difference.
in over a dozen attempts, I’ve been unable to price a JFK/LAX or JFK/LAS for under 3 MTM certs. Which is ridiculous because based on that I KNOW I’m never finding.

The current flight I’m looking at is $634 in economy or $1,394 in Mint. Sounds like the fare difference is probably what’s getting me every time but then every transcon or LAS flight I look at has a fare difference at least that wide or wider.

Obviously I like a confirmed in advance upgrade, but 1 a year hardly feels like attempting to requalify for Mosaic 3 over Delta Plat where I get 4 confirmed upgrades if I’m flexible. (At least until the day they inevitably have Premium Select as the cert upgrade on a transcon…)
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:45 am

Not to mention the only option is the confirmed upgrade - so unlike Delta once you use your MTM certs that’s it. They would rather send the cabin out empty than move elite customers up front. Not sure how that makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.