Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
You're quite right!

Swine flu.

It's well documented.
GROAN!!

Go to your room.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Zarf4

Heading home, settling into the seat of the 747 a bit sad that the adventure is over altogether too soon then catching a glance out of the window during pushback to see four or five of the ground crew giving long slow waves and bowing to the departing aircraft.
Yes, one of those "oshii" photos (the ones that got away) was seeing platform attendants on one of the Kansai-area commuter lines (Keihan? Hankyu?) bow to the departing train after the doors closed.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yesterday, in Ginza, was approached by some kind of interviewer or survey taker. She asks me (in Japanese) if I speak Japanese. I respond (in Japanese) that I don't. She says (in Japanese), sorry this survey is for Japanese speakers only. I say (in Japanese) no problem.

Impeccable Japanese logic.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
If I am in a perverse mood, I will pay for my morning coffee + danish in trouble-making fashion. Breakfast comes to 601 JPY, and sometimes I will give the person at the counter 802 JPY. There is never any complaint. They take my money, put it into the register and give me my 201 JPY in change.

Similarly, although not deliberately this time, I forgot to pay the sewerage component of my water bill (which was 376 JPY). The water people sent a guy round to collect it from me in person, and initially I didn't let him in because I thought he might be from NHK. He was extremely polite and bowed after I'd paid him in small change.

The feeling of being Japan is never quite knowing how much of an ....... people really think you are.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
When I find myself bowing back to a supermarket cashier as she bows and says "Irasshaimase" before taking out and scanning the first item from a basket.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
When I find myself bowing back to a supermarket cashier as she bows and says "Irasshaimase" before taking out and scanning the first item from a basket.
hitting everything with my head.. in the subway, at the supermarket.. One time I was at the cashier and i headbutted something that was hanging from the ceiling. The whole thing crashed to the floor.. How embarassing.. (luckily it was just cardboard advertising and not the chandelier..)

another thing is bowing whilst talking on the phone.. Yep... I actually do that..
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
deleted

Last edited by jib71; Jul 6, 2009 at 6:47 pm
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Every time walking past the large green painted spots on train platforms and remembering the times went in the ladies only car.

Or spotted an open end of the cool Yamanote sen car in the middle of summer, and realized the reason it was open after jumping on....a homeless man staying out of the heat too.

Every time the JR West Fukuchiyama to Osaka train slows down as it approaches the bends just before Amagasaki Stn. When the Washington Metro accident happened last month, it didn't even make it to the front page of the SJ Mercury News.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Decided to go to Kagurazaka today just for a summer stroll, and ran right into the Kagurazaka Matsuri. Everybody in yukata and fans, a complete throwback to hundreds of years ago.

Opening act was 10,000 kids, the oldest no more than 6-7 years old, doing the synchronized awa odori to live fife and drum from Kagurazaka-shita to the top of the hill. They probably had to round up every kid in Japan for that one.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 6:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am here in Hakone and tomorrow, rain or shine, am going to ride one of those staggeringly schlocky pirate ships that Odakyu runs across the lake.

Today in the massive food court at Gotemba Premium outlets, there were three mooseheads mounted on the wall that moved and sang in synchrony to a recording. I figured they were bought from Disneyland when they closed down the "Country Bear Jamboree" show.

If those mooseheads and those pirate ships aren't Japan, I don't know what is!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
ran right into the Kagurazaka Matsuri. Everybody in yukata and fans
Oh dear. I've come over all nostalgic.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pickles
Decided to go to Kagurazaka today just for a summer stroll, and ran right into the Kagurazaka Matsuri. Everybody in yukata and fans, a complete throwback to hundreds of years ago.

Opening act was 10,000 kids, the oldest no more than 6-7 years old, doing the synchronized awa odori to live fife and drum from Kagurazaka-shita to the top of the hill. They probably had to round up every kid in Japan for that one.
That must have been sooo fun! No pics? My fave is the Koenji Awaodori and as usual, I'll have to miss it (cuz it's ridiculously expensive to get there from SFO in the middle of summer...)
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance
This evening I noticed a lights-flashing ambulance parked in front of a nearby business hotel. As I passed the hotel, I watched the ambulance attendants stopping to slip covers over their shoes, before preceding inside with their stretcher.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
This evening I noticed a lights-flashing ambulance parked in front of a nearby business hotel. As I passed the hotel, I watched the ambulance attendants stopping to slip covers over their shoes, before preceding inside with their stretcher.
My teacher told me of the time that some gangster loan-sharks came to beat up his landlord for failure to pay up on time ... and as they entered the building they all took off their footwear and the most junior hoodlum aligned everyone's shoes properly in the genkan.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by jib71
... and as they entered the building they all took off their footwear and the most junior hoodlum aligned everyone's shoes properly in the genkan.
I hate being the lowest yakuza on the totem pole.

Poor fellow probably hasn't "made his bones" yet. In western gangs, this usually entails killing someone. In Japan, you're required to use impolite language to a victim at least TWICE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.