Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Wink

My feeling of being in Japan?

The tears that flow once you gaze across the pond at the golden temple in Kyoto on a surreal morning as the low clouds lift gracefully like a curtain.

Another one? Looking way up and up and only noticing the eggs in ma's underbelly at Mori's Roppongi Tower! Ahh the MABO feeling!

Sanosuke!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Ah yes, the infamous katsu sando. Has to be one of the world's most heinous and disgusting creations. Who the hell thought up the idea that the crunchy part is on the inside and the mushy part on the outside? Crustless white bread? Couldn't they have picked something a bit higher in the Western food totem pole?

The katsu sando stands out because it is the definition of vileness in an otherwise excellent universe of edibles. And the feeling of Japan part comes of course, from the fact that the Japanese love it and is extremely popular. That's when I know that the Japanese are different.
oh, oh, pity me, I like those katsu sandos! Or am I turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
oh, oh, pity me, I like those katsu sandos! Or am I turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so?
I'm glad you 'fessed up as I wouldn't have had the guts to admit that I do too. Of course, I like the actual katsu-pan that is in a roll that has the crust still on. The only white bread sandos I buy are the ones with bright orange egg yolks in the middle. I know we are making Pickles cringe, but - yumm!

JR

PS - extra points for identifying the Sponges.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Utter abomination, time to report you to the food culture department at the Foreign Ministry! Hopefully you will be thoroughly questioned the next time you are through..........
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A certain attention to small details that seems to be lacking in most parts of the world.......not to mention the best "French" patisserie in the world..........
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
.......not to mention the best "French" patisserie in the world..........
Now 'imported' to the UK (to my utter delight )

Richmond, West London,
http://www.williamcurley.co.uk/

Would definitely hold its own in Tokyo (he polished his training in Japan for a while and has a Japanese wife, Suzue, who is also an accomplished patissiere) and his shop is frequented by many expensively groomed Japanese customers.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I'm glad you 'fessed up as I wouldn't have had the guts to admit that I do too. Of course, I like the actual katsu-pan that is in a roll that has the crust still on. The only white bread sandos I buy are the ones with bright orange egg yolks in the middle. I know we are making Pickles cringe, but - yumm!
Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for katsu in general, and I would not be averse to a nice crispy hire katsu chunk between two pieces of crusty french bread, with a bit of tonkatsu sauce and mustard.

But crustless white bread? Not even Smidgen would go for something like that. And this is a neko that has no compunction of licking his nether regions before or after eating his foul-looking (and probably equally foul-tasting) neko crunchies.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:54 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm a big fan of katsu sandwiches but I understand Pickles' resistance to the inside-out nature of the crunchy filling and soft exterior. Perhaps if you were to deep-fry the katsu-sando?

Sandwiches that really give me the "feeling of being in Japan" are:
- Strawberry and cream sandwiches
- Fried noodle sandwiches
- Mosburger's riceburger sandwiches
- Potato salad sandwiches
- Sandwiches that defy Pythagorus with the disproportionate amount of filling on the hypotenuse
- Sandwiches in soup (I know... it's "hanpen")

Last edited by jib71; Aug 30, 2007 at 1:05 am
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
I'm a big fan of katsu sandwiches but I understand Pickles' resistance to the inside-out nature of the crunchy filling and soft exterior. Perhaps if you were to deep-fry the katsu-sando?
That might work. Hirekatsu sando korokke, anyone? Speaking of sandos, I think the chiken salada sando on graham tosto at the Homeworks in Hiroo or Azabu Juban is pretty darn good. Not the one at the "Pantry by Homeworks". In that one, don't know, cost cutting or what, but they mix in some pasta salad which isn't that prime.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:49 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Anytime somebody does something totally genuine and thoughtful, for no reason except that they knew it would make you feel good. Thats always a "feeling of being in Japan"
I have only been in Japan once. Yet this statement absolutely epitomizes Japan for me.

-simon
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Originally Posted by Pickles
That might work. Hirekatsu sando korokke, anyone? Speaking of sandos, I think the chiken salada sando on graham tosto at the Homeworks in Hiroo or Azabu Juban is pretty darn good. Not the one at the "Pantry by Homeworks". In that one, don't know, cost cutting or what, but they mix in some pasta salad which isn't that prime.
Agree with you. the pantry is indeed bad.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
A certain attention to small details that seems to be lacking in most parts of the world.................
Yes, where the sushi chef and tempura chef noticed that you are left handed and place the piece correctly in front of you.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:10 am

Sandwiches that really give me the "feeling of being in Japan" are:
- Strawberry and cream sandwiches
- Mosburger's riceburger sandwiches
- Potato salad sandwiches
- Sandwiches that defy Pythagorus with the disproportionate amount of filling on the hypotenuse
- Sandwiches in soup (I know... it's "hanpen")
The Earl of Sandwich is rolling in his grave.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to think I blot this one out.

Seeing a loved one eat what is essentially a hot dog bun bursting with yakisoba and then slathered in mayonnaise... definitely a queasy "feeling of being in Japan" I'm not much looking forward to.

I try to look away, I just can't

I think it's the combination of red pickled ginger and mayo that gets to me.

Probably the whole 'mayora' cult in general, especially when glimpsing some of the cult's more dedicated accolytes. And I even like mayonnaise.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
...what is essentially a hot dog bun bursting with yakisoba ...
Good thing you don't travel with me. I love the nasty things - only without the extra mayo. The ginger is what makes it so good.

JR

Last edited by abmj-jr; Aug 30, 2007 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.