Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Multiple Japanese folks bringing boxes of Krispy Kremes on GMP-HND last night, to avoid the 1:50 wait in Japan (no wait in Seoul for KKs).
Brilliant--international donut arbitrage...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Brilliant--international donut arbitrage...
True international donut arbitrage would be if the Seoul buyers went to the Yurakucho KK and re-sold the donuts to the idiots in line for enough markup to cover the transaction costs of ferrying them from Seoul.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Couple more:

The electronic voice that says "otsukaresamadeshita" when we lock up the office and activate the security systems.

On the runup to Valentine's Day, the 400 pound sumo wrestler, dressed in winter yukata, topknot, tabi, geta, and all, walking into Gucci in Ginza to buy his girlfriend a present.

Speaking of katsu sando, on the outside wall of Omotesando Hills there is a huge picture of a guy lying on the floor with some massive katsu sandos pressing on him. The caption is omo-ttee-sando... Har har. Not as good as the new TV show, Ojisans 11. Probably features a bunch of sararimen in polyester and combover, snorting and smacking their teeth, and saying "ayeeshhh" when sitting down.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Last night it was the feeling of staying away from Kudanshita.

Based on the noise level (real crowds + sound trucks) it was wise of me to stay north of the Yasakuni shrine.

Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Had no idea that blackberrys could work in Japan.

I have one that I bought here in Canada.. wonder if I'll require a Japanese blackberry model to work there?

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sanosuke
.....wonder if I'll require a Japanese blackberry model to work there?

Sanosuke!
From what I understand, yes.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
Had no idea that blackberrys could work in Japan.

I have one that I bought here in Canada.. wonder if I'll require a Japanese blackberry model to work there?

Sanosuke!
8707g and 8707v can work in UMTS networks and at least voice should work. RIM website doesn't state Japan compatibility so the email part may not work.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
8707g and 8707v can work in UMTS networks and at least voice should work. RIM website doesn't state Japan compatibility so the email part may not work.
My understanding is that you need to be on the Japan NOC for Blackberry to get email working here, and that requires you to sign up with DoCoMo and buy the six man phone that they offer. Not my cup of tea, but I've gotten over my Crackberry addiction.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:11 am

Blackberries

My 8707v worked very well in Tokyo and Kyoto on roaming, both voice and emails.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
Originally Posted by hamburgler
My understanding is that you need to be on the Japan NOC for Blackberry to get email working here, and that requires you to sign up with DoCoMo and buy the six man phone that they offer. Not my cup of tea, but I've gotten over my Crackberry addiction.
You can bring in a unlocked 8707v and buy a FOMA SIM and pay for the blackberry service on it. You don't need to buy the 8707v from DoCoMo. That how we do it as our company gets a good deal on BB's overseas.

You do have to deal with the DoCoMo Business Center, not a shop, to do this and that can be a frustrating exercise.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:39 am

<deleted>

Last edited by kcvt750; Feb 15, 2008 at 3:42 am Reason: whatever....
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
The 1:50 wait for donuts at the new Krispy Kreme in Yurakucho. What kind of idiot waits two hours for donuts? Hats off to the genius who decided to bring the KK franchise to Japan.
The line at Krispy Kreme has died down a bit, during the week it is possible to make just 5-10 minutes wait. Now for the 'feeling of being in Japan', because the line is usually very long, they have staffers walk around handing out fresh warm donuts to people waiting in line. So, I go there when there aren't many people waiting (maybe 5 minute wait) and a staffer gives me a warm fresh donut. Now, since I had made a line to buy one donut, because that's all I wanted, I was done, so I walked away...

Another one. McDonald's is now selling hot dogs. The ad in the store has a perfectly decent looking hot dog, with mustart and relish, the real deal. Unfortunately, it is only available daily until 10:30. In the morning....

Japan: where they know the 'how' but not the 'why'.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

The feeling of being in Japan is just that... mutual.

Now wheres my Mabo???

Sanosuke!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 6:46 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Waiting to board your Shinkansen in Tokyo, it arrives, the cleaners get on and do a quick clean so it is now absolutely spotless and then they disembark, line up and bow to the waiting passengers.

Naturally it was parked centimetre perfect against the markings on the platform and departed exactly on time.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:39 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Having the sense of bring in the middle of organized chaos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.