Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Seeing the price of those backpacks in a department store

Apparantly each school has its own particular back pack and the price of these can vary considerably. There are plenty of people paying ¥50,000 and upwards for those cute little backpack cases. I bet that's a real "feeling of being a parent in Japan" when someone is first confronted with cost of buying one.
The ones my kids have were only 20,000. Not bad considering they are to be used every school day for 6 years.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Its 9pm on friday night and the office is half full...
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
Its 9pm on friday night and the office is half full...
Slackers.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:16 am

Explaining to Japanese that "we really do not waite in two hour lines for KFC in America at Christmas for our Christmas chicken" and in fact KFC in America is closed on Christmas.....because it is er, Christmas.

Newspaper holidays?

Reduced ATM hours at banks so that they can save money.

Being told at a Japanese bank that some of my Romaji are not writen correctly and that I need to cross off, rewrite, and put my hanko above four of the letters in my own name.

Having a loudspeaker truck outside my apartment at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday blairing "VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME".

Working as an extra on a Japanese T.V. show and realising that you just confused the star with a crew member when you asked where the toilets were.

Realizing that Japan is the only country in the world with four seasons.

While riding the Shincansen, noticing a young lady pushing a cart and yelling "ICE CREAM ICE CREAM" and wondering who in their right mind would buy an ice cream at 6:30 a.m. in the middle of winter.

Realizing that the same street has been repaved every night for the past twelve years and that you could take the same material and build a road to the moon and back six times.

Talking to a Doctor about life and death decisions and realizing that he/she has a Mickey Mouse pen in his/her pocket.

Last edited by Tokyorich; Aug 26, 2007 at 9:02 am
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Tokyorich
Explaining to Japanese that "we really do not waite in two hour lines for KFC in America at Christmas for our Christmas chicken" and in fact KFC in America is closed on Christmas.....because it is er, Christmas.

Newspaper holidays?

Reduced ATM hours at banks so that they can save money.

Being told at a Japanese bank that some of my Romaji is not writen clearly enough and that I need to cross off, rewrite, and put my hanko above four of the letters in my own name.

Having a loudspeaker truck outside my apartment at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday blairing "VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME".

Realizing the the same street has been repaved every night for the past twelve years and that you could take the same material and build a road to the moon and back six times.

Talking to a Doctor about life and death decisions and realizing that he/she has a Mickey Mouse pen in her pocket.
Now, that's funny!

I'd cry if it weren't so true (except I'm never allowed any cross-outs, I have to rewrite the entire form & get back in line...).
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Let's not forget the Super Yosakoi.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
On one occasion I saw someone reserve a seat at the food court by leaving her wallet there and proceeding to the food establishment. Every time I get frustrated with things (like having to wait four days for a form to arrive so that you can sign on it for the ISP to reset your password since you forgot it or waiting over two hours to do a wire transfer from shinsei banks supposedly foreigner friendly omotesando hils) I realize there are things in Japan that you will never get anywhere else - like safety for instance.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
waiting over two hours to do a wire transfer from shinsei banks supposedly foreigner friendly omotesando hils
I use the Lloyds Bank service, www.golloyds.com Once it is set up, wire transfers are no more vexing than a trip to the ATM.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MP
Being able to lose a wallet with tens of thousands of yen, credit cards, an NHI card and various other cards in it and get it all back promptly. But, if you leave your keys in your bike, knowing your bike will promptly be stolen.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Let's not forget the Super Yosakoi.
Oh! Wonderful! Japan! Kawaii! Banzai!

(A modern take on the scene from Typical Spanish at 1:08)
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, Alaska Air
Maisen's crustless sandwiches
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA, NW
>People having curry rice for breakfast in a train station "stand bar"

> Finding unusual flavors of soda in the vending machine (cardamom, plum) and 10 varieties of canned coffee drinks and 1-liter bottles of tea with milk

> Niboshi--little dried salted fish eaten whole as snacks

> The Minnie Mouse voice that female bank tellers and sales clerks often use

> The smell of barbecued eel

> The smell of roasted chestnuts

> Advertisements for businesses that feature little inset maps giving directions from the nearest transit stop

> Side streets where all the hotels have only fake windows

> Half the people in the subway car (and all the people under 30) are texting

> The distinctive style of clothes worn by stay-at-home married women, which one of my friends dubbed "the okusan look."

> Teenagers in school uniforms wearing white tennis shoes with the backs squashed down

> Shops that start selling umbrellas on the sidewalk whenever it rains

> Drink vending machines everywhere--including on hiking trails

> Being served iced coffee in a tall glass with a tiny pitcher of cream and a matching tiny pitcher of sugar water

> Farm women wearing sunbonnets and mompei

> Buses with light-up automatic fare indicators over the driver's seat

> Kimono stores that display unbelievably gorgeous ¥500,000 kimonos

> The ubiquity of mikans in the winter
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Asleep on the train after the 3rd place and wake up at the precise moment to get off at your station.

Arrive at Haneda 10 minutes before flight time and still get on the plane.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrLapLap
Ah yes, the infamous katsu sando. Has to be one of the world's most heinous and disgusting creations. Who the hell thought up the idea that the crunchy part is on the inside and the mushy part on the outside? Crustless white bread? Couldn't they have picked something a bit higher in the Western food totem pole?

The katsu sando stands out because it is the definition of vileness in an otherwise excellent universe of edibles. And the feeling of Japan part comes of course, from the fact that the Japanese love it and is extremely popular. That's when I know that the Japanese are different.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Hilton Gold
--Taxi drivers wearing little white gloves. Taxis with lace curtains.
--Trucks with little vases on the dash--with a single flower.
--flower arrangements with only a few flowers.
--people dozing as they ride the subway
--Takarazuka all-female theater company
--bath salts in different colors and smells, but no bubbles
--department stores displaying bolts of cloth (for kimonos) expensive rocks
(for collectors)
--cricket cages
--obligatory maps to find restaurants, hotels, homes
--Hello Kitty and the prevalence of "kawai"
--the feel of tatami underfoot
--laundry hanging out on balconies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.