Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does "feeling of being in Japan" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TR35R
Having breakfast?
- in the case I wish I'd been mistaken!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Or whenever I head back to the West and I stand in front of doors at commercial establishments waiting for them to open on their own. Or when using the loo, stepping back and waiting for the autoflush...and it doesn't!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
I thought that this referred to 'pavement pizzas' - the classic accompaniament to any decent night out in Shinjuku.

And I'll add another "feeling of being in Japan" as that provided by Mr Toto whenever I encounter a warm toilet seat. And the low whirs and humms that precede a blissful feeling of personal freshness which I'm sure we all enjoy.
See what happens when I try reading things before having my first cup of coffee! Should have known that.... I always enjoy the piles of unchewed noodles, personally.

Now that I've finally closed on my apartment and am thinking about the renovations, I'm seriously considering getting a Toto for one of the bathrooms....
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Always knowing there'll be another train along in a few minutes.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calcifer
See what happens when I try reading things before having my first cup of coffee! Should have known that.... I always enjoy the piles of unchewed noodles, personally.

Now that I've finally closed on my apartment and am thinking about the renovations, I'm seriously considering getting a Toto for one of the bathrooms....
OMEDETOU GOZAIMASH!TA!!!!

Well done you!!!

Originally Posted by Pickles
Or when using the loo, stepping back and waiting for the autoflush...and it doesn't!
I misunderstood what you meant by autoflush for a moment and concluded that you had perfected a very unusual way of washng your hands! (Or just liked to tease the cat!)
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I misunderstood what you meant by autoflush for a moment and concluded that you had perfected a very unusual way of washng your hands! (Or just liked to tease the cat!)
I believe the autoflushing system I'm referring to is not used by women (except in Japan if you have a Toto Neorest, which I do, it is definitely a key contribution to humankind from Japan). My cat, Smidgen, has waterproof fur, so I don't know how he'd feel about your proposal. He smelled of lemongrass once, and we have no idea where he picked up the scent, since he's an indoor neko and there was no lemongrass anywhere in the apartment.

Also, have you noticed that nekos in Japan are "different"? I don't just mean that many of them are genetically sans tail. They seem to be more contemplative, and can sit still for hours even in a hubbub. Kind of reminds me of the sararimen who will fly down the stairs to catch their train, sit down, and within 15 seconds be deeply asleep. And then, as soon as the train pulls into their station, they'll open their eyes, look around, and just jump off the train, as if time had stood still.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:25 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Having the total confidence that everything will actually function.

And not worrying about being robbed or mugged.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...another "feeling of being in Japan" moment. Like that bent-over obaachan that got on the train elbowing everybody with the flexibility of a Cirque acrobat and the strength of a linebacker...
When relaying her experiences of Japan over the phone to her family in Spain, my mother regularly cites this as being one of her own ‘feelings’.

In order to heighten this particular feeling to its absolute conclusion, I recommend you get off or on public transport in the Ikebukuro district...
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In order to heighten this particular feeling to its absolute conclusion, I recommend you get off or on public transport in the Ikebukuro district...
But you can get some breathing room if you eat some miracle fruit beforehand.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you can get some breathing room if you eat some miracle fruit beforehand.
LOL

You may get the room, but I doubt you'll want to breathe in very much!!!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:21 am
TR35R

Originally Posted by roberto99
...And not worrying about being robbed or mugged.
This is exactly what the victim of OYAJI-Gari is saying. (at the PD, after got robbed)

Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:38 am
TR35R

Originally Posted by mcg1000
Always knowing there'll be another train along in a few minutes.
This is exactly what the drunken-sararimen is insisting to Eki-In-San(at 3AM, laying on the bench in the train station)

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another one: The guy at the counter in Tonki in Meguro whose only job appears to be watching for you to finish your meal so that he may go by your bar-stool and, with a flourish, uncover the little shot glass with the toothpicks.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope you don't mind this country bumpkins intrusion.

-I get that Japan feeling when the air raid sirens sound at precisely 12:00PM and 5:00PM.

-I get that Japan feeling every day when my neighbour drops by at 7:00AM to drag the Bull Terrier out for a walk (no matter that I have a guest over or not ) But this same neighbor admonishes me for drying my underwear inside/outside where guests/others might see them!

-I get that Japan feeling everytime I am challenged to try some new delicacy.

-I get that Japan feeling when my close Japanese friends invite my parents/family/foreign friends into their homes for fantastic homemade meals, impromptu cooking lessons,flower arrangement classes and kimono wearing(the latter after some potato hooch imbibing).

-I get that Japan feeling when I can drive within 30 minutes to some great natural hot springs for a soak , with a splendid view and only for 300 Yen!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:41 am
TR35R

...go by your bar-stool and, with a flourish, uncover the little shot glass with the toothpicks...
This is absolutely perfectly "feeling of being in Japan".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.