Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've stayed at the NRT capsule hotel, the U-City hotel and APA a number of times. The APA lobby can get quite crowded at times, and the rooms are small, but there's wifi throughout and if you need it, laundry facilities on the 2nd floor. They too have an infrequent airport bus, but failing that, you're just a couple of escalator rides away from the Keisei station and a few minutes walk from JR Narita.

Echoing what ksandness wrote above, I'd take the morning to stroll down Narita Omotensando to Shinshoji, and avoid whatever breakfast the APA has to offer (there's a konbini right next door, as if that was terribly unexpected).
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful about the airport hotels that aren't in Narita village. Shuttles tend to be infrequent and you generally can't walk anywhere off property.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
I've stayed in capsules before and they're fine... but they want 4900 yen, which seems kinda steep for a capsule
That's a seriously bad deal for a capsule. For what you're looking to do, I too recommend staying in Narita city center (around Keisei Narita Station). To me, Richmond's the best hotel in that area. And their breakfast buffet is solid.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful about the airport hotels that aren't in Narita village. Shuttles tend to be infrequent and you generally can't walk anywhere off property.
Actually, airport hotels that are not in Narita city center tend to offer much more frequent shuttle services (like every 30min) than city hotels like Richmond and Mercure.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Third the Richmond Hotel !
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:14 am

Thanks all! I poked around a bit, and the Mercure is the clear winner. The official Japanese site, Jalan, Rakuten etc all offer the same Y5400 price for the rather monastic "economy single", but on the general accorhotels.com website, you can get the rather nice standard double for a scarcely credible Y4200 including not just taxes, but breakfast as well! (Which I'm not planning to eat, but hey, free brekkie.) Obviously this is prepaid, nonrefundable etc, but I'm still pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen a better rate offered outside Japan than in it.

By contrast, the Richmond wants Y5700 for its cheapest room; not exactly expensive, but why pay more? And the Y4900 for the capsule looks downright laughable now -- and that's their advance booking rate too, the normal rate is Y5900.

And yes, I'm totally happy to use the train and even pay a few hundred yen for the privilege. There are few things I hate more than standing around outside an airport after a long flight, waiting for an airport shuttle...

Last by not least, it's kind of cute that you're all referring to a town of over 100,000 people as a "village", although I suppose it is one compared to Tokyo!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Last by not least, it's kind of cute that you're all referring to a town of over 100,000 people as a "village", although I suppose it is one compared to Tokyo!
Before airport was built, Narita used to be a small farm village and pretty much only thing to see was Senshou-ji temple. Guess, people still refer as a small village from old time. Last I heard is that 60 – 70% of jobs at Narita is airport/airline related and the small village grew to decent size city with large shopping mall because of that.

Everybody say HND is far more convenient than NRT. But there is big politics between Chiba prefecture and Tokyo prefecture regarding keeping NRT, and that is one part of the reasons Japanese government not allowing the U.S. flights at HND during the day time.

I will stop here because the moderator will bust me for getting too OMNI.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all! I poked around a bit, and the Mercure is the clear winner. The official Japanese site, Jalan, Rakuten etc all offer the same Y5400 price for the rather monastic "economy single", but on the general accorhotels.com website, you can get the rather nice standard double for a scarcely credible Y4200 including not just taxes, but breakfast as well! (Which I'm not planning to eat, but hey, free brekkie.) Obviously this is prepaid, nonrefundable etc, but I'm still pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen a better rate offered outside Japan than in it.

By contrast, the Richmond wants Y5700 for its cheapest room; not exactly expensive, but why pay more? And the Y4900 for the capsule looks downright laughable now -- and that's their advance booking rate too, the normal rate is Y5900.

And yes, I'm totally happy to use the train and even pay a few hundred yen for the privilege. There are few things I hate more than standing around outside an airport after a long flight, waiting for an airport shuttle...

Take the Mercure , absolutely ! The Richmond isn't worth more ! Not to mention you can get Accor points ! Woo hoo ! Unagi dinner ?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Having spent a night at the Hilton Narita on an overnight layover, I agree with the recommendations to stay in town. The property isn't bad but the location is inconvenient if you want to poke around the town.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
I recommend the Shinshoji Temple, the big temple at the center of town. It opens at 8AM, and when I visited at that hour, there was some sort of ceremony going on.
The temple is worth a visit. On the road that goes from Mercure to the temple, one will find several restaurants and many shops.

I had a few photos of the temple, link below:
https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Asia...rita/i-cQ5KhBX

Mercure is very convenient due to its proximity to the train station, something that I prefer.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Any recommendations?
Opposite the mercure there's a delightful yakitori place, perfect to grab a beer (or three) and charcoal grilled skewered chicken butts.

https://goo.gl/maps/j52VnqDgH922
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Great price ... I checked my date in mid-Dec at the accorhotels.com website and your link above and the Y4200 was not offered.

I second the recommendation for the Mercure. Great location!

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Oct 20, 2015 at 8:45 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Having spent a night at the Hilton Narita on an overnight layover, I agree with the recommendations to stay in town. The property isn't bad but the location is inconvenient if you want to poke around the town.
The shuttle runs every 30 minutes during peak times. Dunno...that's where I always stay and always found it easy to get to town/malls/airport.

During my first trip to Japan, my broker referred to Narita as "country" (with a sneer). I know the history, but come on.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Originally Posted by Kate2015
The shuttle runs every 30 minutes during peak times. Dunno...that's where I always stay and always found it easy to get to town/malls/airport.
I've got about 12 overnight hours at NRT and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel rates when I checked on Kayak. I was going to try to stay as close as possible to the airport (although the capsule hotel didn't seem like a great idea), but then I saw the Hilton's "money + points" rate: it's something like US$35 and 8,000 points. Sold! As a Gold, I'm guessing I'll get a decent breakfast? And is there lounge access?

I did see that the Hilton's website has a bus schedule on it. Seems straightforward enough (and free). Is it an easy trip to and from the airport?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've got about 12 overnight hours at NRT and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel rates when I checked on Kayak. I was going to try to stay as close as possible to the airport (although the capsule hotel didn't seem like a great idea), but then I saw the Hilton's "money + points" rate: it's something like US$35 and 8,000 points. Sold! As a Gold, I'm guessing I'll get a decent breakfast? And is there lounge access?

I did see that the Hilton's website has a bus schedule on it. Seems straightforward enough (and free). Is it an easy trip to and from the airport?
To my recollection, you will get breakfast, but alas, that hotel doesn't have a lounge and there is nothing to do around it (thus I don't stay there anymore ).
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx

The breakfast is fine but no lounge. As others have said, not much nearby but depending on the hours of your layover that may not be important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.