Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So I have 2 flight options leaving Hong Kong.

There's an 772 that leaves NH and arrives Haneda at 740PM vs the 330PM in Narita.

Which one am I better off taking? Is Sheraton Miyako in an convenient area? I'm not looking for any night life, just some site seeing as I haven't been in parts of Tokyo for over 10 years.

I just have to leave Narita the next morning on NH173 which departs at 11:20am.
Also will be carrying 2 heavy luggage's per person so would try to avoid the lease movement possible without using an Taxi.
I'd say that the hour or so you save in commute time coming into HND isn't worth it. Coming into NRT you'll be downtown by 5:30, and have the time to get checked in, have dinner and sightsee.

To make it the easiest possible trip for you with your luggage, I'd suggest the Limo Bus.. http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pla...hes/index/2/36
Old May 20, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Actually I confirmed Hyatt Regency Tokyo.

Hotel suggested

Narita airport station (KJ skyline?) to Nittori Station transfer to JR line to Shinjuku Station.

With my evening starting at 6pm any suggestions on where to go and when to leave in the morning? Flight is at 11;20AM
Old May 21, 2016, 7:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Hotel suggested

Narita airport station (KJ skyline?) to Nittori Station transfer to JR line to Shinjuku Station.

With my evening starting at 6pm any suggestions on where to go and when to leave in the morning? Flight is at 11;20AM
Since I'm a N'EX person I suggest the Narita Express directly from NRT to Shinjuku. No idea what passport control will be like when you arrive but...

Narita Airport T1 16:19 - Shinjuku 17:44 (Narita Express #36)
Return fare (N'EX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket) 4,000 yen.

If you prefer to use the Keisei Line
Narita Airport T1 16:18 - Nippori 16:58 (Keisei Skyliner #34)
Nippori 17:03 - Shinjuku 17:26 (Yamanote Line)
Single fare 2,670 yen (there seems to be a discounted ticket but you will have to buy a voucher in advance from a travel agent).

The Keisei option is slightly quicker but involves a change and travels on a commuter line between Nippori and Shijuku.

On the way back to the airport, N'EX 11 leaving Shinjuku at 08:02 arriving NRT T1 at 09:29 should be fine. Even without luggage I'm not sure if I recommend travelling on the Yamanote Line during the morning rush hour.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:41 am

Hotel suggested

With all of your luggage, I'd still consider the limo bus. It literally drops you off at the Hotel so it is door to door service. Navigating through Shinjuku, or any train station for that matter, could be a real PIA with 2 large bags per person plus having to switch to a taxi or shuttle...
Old May 21, 2016, 7:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
With all of your luggage, I'd still consider the limo bus. It literally drops you off at the Hotel so it is door to door service. Navigating through Shinjuku, or any train station for that matter, could be a real PIA with 2 large bags per person plus having to switch to a taxi or shuttle...
I was assuming the OP would leave the heavy luggage at the airport. It doesn't make sense to take it to the hotel and back again for a short overnight stay. In fact I expect it should be possible to check it through from HKG to IAH since the connection in NRT is less than 24 hours.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 21, 2016 at 10:39 am
Old May 21, 2016, 2:57 pm

Seems like NH812 is consistently late because of an delayed departure.
Per ANA I can check my bags through and I will probably have an hand carry for my clothing and laptop with me.

N'EX or Keisei Line is fine. I hate traveling on the bus because of possible traffic.

Ill take Keisei or N'eX depending on the arrival time (whichever comes earlier)

On return should I do N'EX instead of Keisei due to morning traffic?

What time should I be departing the hotel and how to navigate to NH Suites Check-in once at the airport?

Thanks for the help so far!
Old May 21, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
+1.

Per ANA I can check my bags through and I will probably have an hand carry for my clothing and laptop with me.

N'EX or Keisei Line is fine. I hate traveling on the bus because of possible traffic.

Ill take Keisei or N'eX depending on the arrival time (whichever comes earlier)

What time should I be departing the hotel and how to navigate to NH Suites Check-in once at the airport?
Sorry, I'm confused. You will not be taking your suitcases to/from the hotel? If you are, I'd definitely take the bus. Even without the luggage, I may still opt for the bus. Limo Bus pretty much never arrives late to the airport. You could take the Limo bus leaving from HR lobby at 7.40a (arrives NRT T-1 at 9.20a). The only downside is it's more expensive than NEx, with NEx's 4000y roundtrip foreigner discount.

If you want to take train instead, forget the Skyliner. Just take the 8.02am NEx from Shinjuku that NewbieRunner referenced above. It's a pain taking the Yamanote esp when it's crowded.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:30 pm

Curious what the reason you suggest Bus over N'EX? We're carrying 1 carry-on and each have an laptop bag or purse.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:44 pm

I was only recommending the bus if you've got luggage. Without the luggage, NEx is a good option, esp since it's cheaper with the foreigner discount. But, for HR, personally I might still opt for the bus esp if it's hot and humid or super-cold, as it's a good 10min walk from HR to Shinjuku station, then navigating your way through the station down to the correct platform is some more trouble. It's up to you. NEx will be fine, but I just would not recommend Skyliner via Yamanote line.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:42 am

The HR has a shuttle service to/from Shinjuku Station West Gate every 20 minutes (hyatt_regency_tokyo_courtesy_bus.pdf) but I always recommend anyone using N'EX to/from Shinjuku to use the Kōshū-Kaidō Gate (甲州街道改札 used to be called the Southen Terrace Gate). Check the plan of Shinjuku Station here. But the Kōshū-Kaidō Gate to the HR bus stop is more than half the distance to the HR on foot.

I would take a taxi for 730 yen instead. On the way back to the station asked to be taken to the South Gate (Minami-guchi 南口) and cross the road to the Kōshū-Kaidō Gate.

The NH Suite Check-in is on your right as you come up from the train station and enter the T1 South Wing check-in hall. It's marked with a large letter Z above. https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...=nrt#anchor002
Old May 22, 2016, 6:48 am

Curious what the reason you suggest Bus over N'EX? We're carrying 1 carry-on and each have an laptop bag or purse.
The bus is door to door service (outside NRT Arrivals Hall to Hyatt Regency front door), so no switching mode of transport or dragging luggage through crowded train stations (and trust me, Shinjuku can be extremely crowded) and then either finding your taxi or hotel shuttle, or walking to the HR can be frustrating for some.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:46 pm

I'm considering Keisei because of the time issue. I want to check in and still have time at Akihabara.

I don't mind returning to the airport early since I could sleep on the bus/train.

For example, how bad is the Yamanote line traffic in comparison to Causeway Bay in HK at 6pm?
Old May 22, 2016, 1:53 pm

I'm considering Keisei because of the time issue. I want to check in and still have time at Akihabara.

I don't mind returning to the airport early since I could sleep on the bus/train.

For example, how bad is the Yamanote line traffic in comparison to Causeway Bay in HK at 6pm?
If you want to go to Akihabara, change to the Yamanote (or Keihin-Tohoku) Line in Nippori but travel in the opposite direction and Akihabara is the fourth stop. You can put your carry-on in a locker while you walk around Akihabara if you like.

There's nothing to stop you taking N'EX one way. It just costs a little more (3,190 yen including a reserved seat). I have no idea what Causeway Bay in HK is like at 6pm but if you want to sleep on the train N'EX is the way to go.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:15 pm

With the first sentence, are you talking about going into Tokyo or heading back to NRT? Anyways, I'm not sure why Keisei is such an attractive option to you. Between NRT and Shinjuku, Keisei/Yamanote probably only saves you 5-10min over NEx and it will be a more expensive option with more trouble.

If it's weekend, Yamanote will typically never be jampacked. Weekday rush hours are not pleasant.

I'm more familiar with Admiralty than Causeway Bay. Admiralty, as you many know, gets pretty crazy and sometimes you can't get on the first several trains that come by and then the platform gets packed with people. From that standpoint, Tokyo is certainly no worse. But my perception is that people in Tokyo tend to be a bit more aggressive than in HKG in terms of trying to force their way into already-packed train. Also, HKG is small... Admiralty to North Point or to Mong Kok is only ~10min. Shinjuku to Nippori is 20+ minutes.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you want to go to Akihabara, change to the Yamanote (or Keihin-Tohoku) Line in Nippori but travel in the opposite direction and Akihabara is the fourth stop. You can put your carry-on in a locker while you walk around Akihabara if you like.
I didn't know if he was talking about checking into HR then going to Akihabara, vs checking in at NRT then going to Fa-so-la's Akihabara. I thought it was the former, but then he talked about the return trip to the airport right after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.