Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
But their English was far better than your Japanese, wasn’t it? And you were in Japan…
You are so right..... I found they would still help even if it took finding someone else to cross the language gap. And the gap was of my making not theirs.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:29 pm

Can I transit security and stay airside for several hours if I have an overnight connection at NRT?

I will be flying from BKK-NRT-ORD with a 19hr overnight connection at NRT. I arrive NRT on JL708 at 4:05pm, then I depart the next morning on JL10 at 11:10am. I had previously contacted JL in BKK and JL said because my NRT-ORD connection is less than 24hrs, I would be able to check my bag through to ORD at BKK, and both BKK-NRT and NRT-ORD boarding passes would be issued at BKK.

Because I will have the NRT-ORD boarding pass, can I transit security at NRT and stay airside between 4:05pm to 10pm for shopping and eating? I am aware that NRT closes overnight and I will exit and I will have a hotel booked.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joeaf
Can I transit security and stay airside for several hours if I have an overnight connection at NRT?

I will be flying from BKK-NRT-ORD with a 19hr overnight connection at NRT. I arrive NRT on JL708 at 4:05pm, then I depart the next morning on JL10 at 11:10am. I had previously contacted JL in BKK and JL said because my NRT-ORD connection is less than 24hrs, I would be able to check my bag through to ORD at BKK, and both BKK-NRT and NRT-ORD boarding passes would be issued at BKK.

Because I will have the NRT-ORD boarding pass, can I transit security at NRT and stay airside between 4:05pm to 10pm for shopping and eating? I am aware that NRT closes overnight and I will exit and I will have a hotel booked.
I'm thinking probably not, but not sure why you would even want to. NRT isn't known for it's restaurant selection, and you could do any tax free shopping by arriving at the airport a little earlier prior to your departure the next morning.

Instead, I'd recommend heading into the city of Narita for dinner and sightseeing before going to your hotel (unless you're staying in Tokyo proper, which doesn't appear to be the case).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
No, you will not able to do that because NRT is not 24 hrs. airport. Terminal close down at evening every day. This is the reason at international transit point, there is a person checking a passenger’s boarding pass or itinerary to make sure the passenger is departing from NRT on that day.

If you do not have a boarding pass or an itinerary showing that you are departing same day from NRT, then you will not be allowed to go through the transit point. At international departure area of airport in Japan, there is no standard way to exit and enter Japan from departure area. That is not routinely practiced everyday at airports in Japan.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
But their English was far better than your Japanese, wasn’t it? And you were in Japan…
Naah the hotel just didn't really understand. Everywhere around Tokyo did better and most people speak some english in some way.

It's what everyone complains about in the reviews of the HR Tokyo.

If one is operating an hotel one would obviously in the interest of doing business with tourist right? To my understanding English is an very commonly spoken language
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Naah the hotel just didn't really understand. Everywhere around Tokyo did better and most people speak some english in some way.

It's what everyone complains about in the reviews of the HR Tokyo.

If one is operating an hotel one would obviously in the interest of doing business with tourist right? To my understanding English is an very commonly spoken language
"Commonly" does not mean " exclusively ".
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:13 pm

Just forget about this for two reasons:
1). As per AlwaysAisle above.
2). If you want to shop and eat, there's no reason to stay airside at NRT other than that there's some duty-free shopping. There's much more landside. But you're best off going to Aeon mall for shopping and eating.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Just finished the super short trip. Thanks for the advise prior to traveling. I emailed the hotel prior to flyertalk, they were pretty useless.

I ended up taking N'EX to Shinjuku, ate at Kurumaya Bekkan, and walked around for an bit. Department stores closed earlier than I had expected though. The staff at HR Tokyo was very robotic, unhelpful, and really lacked speaking english.

Narita is so far from the city! >.>
Sorry you didn't have great experience at HR. I'm kind of surprised to hear about the poor service. HR Tokyo is more or less an average HR property, but I've always found the staff/service to be very professional. I'm not surprised to hear about the limited English, but I'm surprised they weren't trying to be helpful.

Yeah most department stores do close a bit early in Jpn... typically 8~9pm (sometimes earlier out in suburbs), but the restaurant floors usually stay open much later. Hopefully you had a couple hours to shop.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sorry you didn't have great experience at HR. I'm kind of surprised to hear about the poor service. HR Tokyo is more or less an average HR property, but I've always found the staff/service to be very professional. I'm not surprised to hear about the limited English, but I'm surprised they weren't trying to be helpful.

Yeah most department stores do close a bit early in Jpn... typically 8~9pm (sometimes earlier out in suburbs), but the restaurant floors usually stay open much later. Hopefully you had a couple hours to shop.
Just enough time to get my local Japanese shopping done. Electronics wise I did some price comparisons and virtually every electronic part like DSLR's, etc. are cheaper here in the states.

As for the HR, service was excellent like every other place in Japan. It's just unfortunate the batch of staff lacked an bit of english skills. Was frustrating trying to find the shuttle bus at first so I decided to just walk. (Calling the hotel was virtually useless because the operator didn't know the alphabets when I asked her to spell the department store name). Than at check-in the agent told me the lounge was on the 7th floor (really the 9th). Like I said w/o FT guidance, I'd be really dead.....

Really loved how everything is on-time in Japan. Really no need to add extra time to transportation.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by evergrn
Just forget about this for two reasons:
1). As per AlwaysAisle above.
2). If you want to shop and eat, there's no reason to stay airside at NRT other than that there's some duty-free shopping. There's much more landside. But you're best off going to Aeon mall for shopping and eating.
There is not six hours' worth of shopping and eating airside at NRT. As I recall, there are some duty-free shops, a snack bar, and something equivalent to a convenience store. Unless you have access to a really wonderful lounge, you will soon be bored.

In 19 hours, you can leave the airport and comfortably explore the town of Narita, spend the night there, return to the airport in the morning, and still have time to hit the duty-free shops, if that's what you're into.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:54 pm
Mul

I'll be arriving in Narita at around 3:30pm. Going to meet friends whose flights are arriving at 5:30pm and 6pm, and we'll go to Tokyo afterward. Any suggestions on what to do in landside during that time waiting for them? I'll be arriving in intl Terminal 1, they'll be arriving in intl terminal 1 and intl terminal 2.
Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by Mul
I'll be arriving in Narita at around 3:30pm. Going to meet friends whose flights are arriving at 5:30pm and 6pm, and we'll go to Tokyo afterward. Any suggestions on what to do in landside during that time waiting for them? I'll be arriving in intl Terminal 1, they'll be arriving in intl terminal 1 and intl terminal 2.
There are many stores and restaurants on Terminal 1's 4th (departure) and 5th floors. If you like to planespot, 5th floor also opens up to the observation deck overlooking some gates and the runway 16R/34L.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by msb0b
There are many stores and restaurants on Terminal 1's 4th (departure) and 5th floors. If you like to planespot, 5th floor also opens up to the observation deck overlooking some gates and the runway 16R/34L.
Where is a good place to wait to meet people arriving on other flight? I'm arriving NRT on UA and my wife will be on a later ANA flight.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Where is a good place to wait to meet people arriving on other flight? I'm arriving NRT on UA and my wife will be on a later ANA flight.
Both will be arriving at Terminal 1 South. Meeting at the arrival level (1st floor) of the terminal will be the best. The reference point easy to identify will be good place to meet. There is one place in the terminal called “Meeting Point” designated for that purpose.

The map of the terminal shows the location. It is small area with seats which airport made just for such purpose. Nothing special but for first time visitors it may be easy to identify because it says “Meeting Point”

I think there are other parts in the terminal can be used as a reference point to meet. But since this is the place which was designated specifically for that purpose, thought could be easier to identify by first time visitors.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:29 am
O62

Hi, we'll be arriving on UA837 at 2:10pm and departing on ET673 at 9:10pm (both flights in J). We're meeting a friend landside to say hi for a little bit and in order to maximize time, I want to know where it is best to get my boarding pass for the ET flight? I assume there will be a transit desk in NRT to get it, but is it easier to go landside and then get a boarding pass at the check-in desk upon returning? (is that even possible)

Also, does UA provide J customers with expedited immigration/customs and does ET provide J customers with expedited security? Does that even exist?

Last edited by O62; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm Reason: Clarified: Meeting friend outside of airport and fixed arrival time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.