Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS, GE/NEXUS, Starbucks Gold
60-minute connection in Narita with 17-month-old.

Hi, we're flying Delta, SEA-NRT-BKK, this November. Due to a schedule change, our layover has been shortened to an hour, and the airline is unable to accommodate us with a longer layover. To make matters a bit more interesting, an equipment change moved our seats to row 41!

Ordinarily, we're very efficient at getting through airports, but we've never connected through NRT (usually do ICN instead), and this is the first we've done it with our very young daughter. I know that Delta utilizes only one terminal and that we only need to go through security, but is an hour feasible with an toddler and minimal carry-on?

If we do miss our connection (last flight to BKK of the day), can we go through immigrations to stay at a local hotel and maybe take in the sights? All three of us are US citizens.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta
You can do it. It's likely that others on your flight are faced with the same situation, and Delta and NRT staff can help move you along. I'd also mention it to the chief flight attendant during the flight to see if they can help you deplane quickly. As for your seats, continue monitoring your flight details online to see if you can move your seats forward as the time for departure gets near. Or, pay for economy comfort to get to the front of coach.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:23 am

Yes, you'll be fine as long as the flight's not super late. In fact, your baby daughter will be your ticket to skipping the security line. So my guess is that being in the back of the aircraft may not impact you as much as you fear. But nishimark's advice about letting the FA know is a good idea.

By off-chance, you miss your connection, DL should take care of you. And with US passports, you should have no problem entering Jpn.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
We have a 23 hour layover.
Arriving NRT at 2:30pm from IAH and leaving next day at 2pm to TPE.

Plan is to take advantage of the r/t offer and take the NEX to shijunku station as I reserved one night at the Hyatt regency.

How long does it normally take to clear immigration/customs?
What time should I leave the shijunku area the next day to be back in time. Well I mean to ask what time should I be back at the airport for the flight to TPE?
And luggage? Will I have to collect my bags? Store at airport or take it with me to the hotel? What's recommended? We're a family of 5, but luggage should be minimum 2 checked in bags.
We would like to check out Ginza in the evening. Can we buy single trip tickets at the train station or would I need to buy some sort of pass?
Exchanging currency should be done at the airport correct?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by express3; Jul 29, 2015 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:22 am

Thanks all. Hugely reassuring. We don't mind being stuck in Tokyo a day. We have a friend there we've been wanting to visit, should this arise.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by express3
We have a 23 hour layover.
Arriving NRT at 2:30pm from IAH and leaving next day at 2pm to TPE.

Plan is to take advantage of the r/t offer and take the NEX to shijunku station as I reserved one night at the Hyatt regency.

How long does it normally take to clear immigration/customs?
Totally depends on other arriving flights etc. Can be as little as 15 minutes, up to 45 minutes, in my experience

What time should I leave the shijunku area the next day to be back in time. Well I mean to ask what time should I be back at the airport for the flight to TPE?
I'd aim to be on a 10 AMish NEX back

And luggage? Will I have to collect my bags? Store at airport or take it with me to the hotel? What's recommended? We're a family of 5, but luggage should be minimum 2 checked in bags.
Yes, you need to collect your bags, to get through customs. I believe there are lockers for storage landside, but never used them. I'd just take the bags with me

We would like to check out Ginza in the evening. Can we buy single trip tickets at the train station or would I need to buy some sort of pass?
Ginza is on the opposite side a a very large city. I'd recommend taking the JR Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Shimbashi if Ginza is really what you want to see, although there is plenty (if not more) to take in around Shinjuku, especially all around the station. Just buy regular one way tickets in this case. If travelling more extensively in Tokyo, I always recommend getting a SUICA card (pre-paid travel etc, card)

Exchanging currency should be done at the airport correct?
Personally, I never exchange any cash. Only bring along leftovers from previous trips and use ATMs to get local currency at much more favorable rates, especially if your bank offers accounts without Foreign Exchange fees (FOREX)

Thanks so much!
Have fun!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uwskier25
Thanks all. Hugely reassuring. We don't mind being stuck in Tokyo a day. We have a friend there we've been wanting to visit, should this arise.
The truth is I would call the airline, express your concern, and see if they move you to the flight on the next day - and then have a blast in Tokyo - one of the best - if not the best - cities in the world!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:22 am

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They couldn't do it, though. All travel must still occur on the original dates. I might give them another right though. We have very good reason to visit Tokyo, as one of my wife's best friends lives there.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
Hello all,
I've got a party of 3 landing at NRT in December at 8pm from Hong Kong, departing the following day at 6pm. Right now I have reservations at the Narita Hilton for the overnight, and assume I can store our bags there. We have never been to Japan, and likely won't be going back anytime in the immediate future. I'd love to get into Tokyo for a few hours, but I'm not sure how feasible that is, and whether we'd be able to do anything in that time. About us: I am a very frequent traveler, but my wife and her sister are not. We love food, photography, and shopping - although we can't afford to go to one of the famous Kobe beef steakhouses. I'd love to see the fish auction and market, but getting up early enough is not an option for this crowd. Any other ideas? I've read about Narita town, and that is a fine substitute, but I feel like we should at least try to get a morning of Tokyo in, since we're unlikely to get back any time soon...
Thanks!

Last edited by DCA13; Aug 23, 2015 at 3:30 pm Reason: Add in the time of year
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta
I'd recommend staying in Tokyo that night. Sounds like you're the early bird of the group. You could go yourself to Tsukiji for the fish market and then get back by the time they're getting up. You could store bags at Narita. Others here with better knowledge of Tokyo will surely add some details.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:44 pm

Yeah, for your layover, it is worth it to go into Tokyo and it's very much feasible. But you don't have a lot of time so you'll need to optimize your plans. Ueno is the part of Tokyo that's quickest to get to/from NRT (via Skyliner train) and it's also a pretty cool spot in terms of shopping, dining and hanging out. There's Ueno Park and Ameyokocho street, and a popular tourist area Asakusa is not far. You'll have until mid-afternoon the next day and then you can catch the 3.20p Skyliner from Ueno back to NRT (arrives ~4pm). If the sky's clear in the morning, consider heading up to the top of Sky Tree... they open fairly early, like ~8am.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
I appreciate the input - I agree staying in Tokyo sounds like the best move. My guess is the night we arrive, we'll be tired and just head to bed, or perhaps grab a snack/drink in the immediate area of the hotel. Can anyone suggest a moderately priced ($200 USD or less) hotel in the Ueno area? Or any other area similarly situated (close to train to Narita)?

Also, as much as I'd love to venture out on my own to the fish auction, I know that would get me in hot water... So any other suggestions on a half day itinerary in late December? Anything that lets us take some good photos, get a brief feel for the city, and maybe buy some souvenirs. thanks again!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCA13
I appreciate the input - I agree staying in Tokyo sounds like the best move. My guess is the night we arrive, we'll be tired and just head to bed, or perhaps grab a snack/drink in the immediate area of the hotel. Can anyone suggest a moderately priced ($200 USD or less) hotel in the Ueno area? Or any other area similarly situated (close to train to Narita)?

Also, as much as I'd love to venture out on my own to the fish auction, I know that would get me in hot water... So any other suggestions on a half day itinerary in late December? Anything that lets us take some good photos, get a brief feel for the city, and maybe buy some souvenirs. thanks again!
Yeah, a lot of people in your situation would just crash. If the sky's clear in the morning, I'd head out to the Sky Tree first as they open earlier than just about anything else in Tokyo (except the fish market). So then you can something like this:
- leave your hotel in Ueno before 8a to head to Sky Tree which opens at 8a. You don't have to get there right at 8a. On a regular weekday, I wouldn't think there's much queue that early in the morning. You can either cab it or take the metro. For 3 people, I'd probably take the cab. The fare won't be too bad. Taxisite.com says 1350y. Train would be slightly cheaper even for 3, but you do have to transfer once. If you decide to take the train, take Ginza line to Asakusa then transfer to Tobu to go to the Sky Tree station. We've had discussions elsewhere about the trickiness of train transfers at Asakusa, but I think Ginza line to Tobu line is not bad at all. You should get to Sky Tree in ~15min total.
- Go to the top of Sky Tree. The stores below won't open till ~10am, so give that a miss. Take the Tobu train from Sky Tree to Asakusa. By then it could be 9.30a or so, depending on how much time you spend at Sky Tree.
- At Asakusa, head down Nakamise-dori (street lined with food/souvenir shops) towards the famous shrine. Allow 1.5-2hr in Asakusa.
- Take Ginza line from Asakusa back to Ueno. By then, we're probably talking 11.30a or so.
- You've got the rest of the time to shop, eat and hang out in Ueno. There's Ameyokocho and Ueno Park. But you probably don't have time for both or even either, if you want to shop and have time to eat. Plenty of great food and shopping within the Ueno Station complex. There's a very reliable sushi place called Sushitsune. Ichiran is a great ramen chain place along the west side of the station... 15-30min wait even when you go at non-peak times. There're tons of other restaurants scattered within Ueno Station, and you should just check them out yourself. There's shopping within the station, but there's also Marui department store adjacent to the station.
- Take the 3.20p Skyliner from Keisei Ueno back to NRT.

Alternatively, you could first walk around Ueno Park first thing in the morning and then wait to leave Ueno for Sky Tree until ~8.30am. Then head up to the top of Sky Tree ~9am. By the time you get back down, the Sky Tree shopping complex would've opened (or close to it). Get all your shopping done there. Have lunch there, as well. Head over to Asakusa ~12.30p. Sightseeing in Asakusa, then back to Ueno in time to catch the Skyliner. You'll find a lot more variety and brands (eg, Uniqlo, Comme Ca) shopping at various places in Ueno, and you'll get to see different kinds of gourmet food in Ueno. On the other hand, you don't have too much time and the Sky Tree complex does pack many souvenir places close together.

Ueno has tons of hotels, but unfortunately I don't know them too well. In Tokyo, I usually like to stay at high-end places and I don't think there's a high-end full-service hotel in Ueno. That doesn't mean there aren't good hotels in that area. I see that there's a Dormy Inn right near Ueno Station... that's a business hotel with good reputation. Dormy is supposed to have clean rooms and modern amenities. So maybe you can give them a try. It's just that their rooms are tiny, so I've kind of graduated from staying in those business hotels. Hopefully others can chime in with recs for Ueno hotels.

Last edited by evergrn; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:26 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a >$200 hotel in Ueno. The Mitsui Garden across from Ueno Station looks pretty good for the area and prices in the low $100s per night. There are much cheaper places as well.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a >$200 hotel in Ueno.
Funny isn't it? Ueno is one of the few major hubs where you find yourself looking at the available accommodations and wishing there was a more expensive option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.