Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by TNTravelGuy
I have three tickets at this point, but my bigger concern is finding a hotel. By this point before London, I already had a reservation at a Holiday Inn.

There are a few hotels out there that can still be booked, but you have to make full payment up front. Because I'm trying to get more tickets, I don't want to commit to exact nights just yet. I have a couple of nights at both a Best Western and a Comfort Inn, but the availability suddenly disappeared and I couldn't get the rest of the nights I wanted. Fingers crossed some availability opens up once sponsors, etc confirm all their bookings. Based on what I've read on different sites, I'm not feeling good about it.
Same boat. I assume that some availability will open up once packages sell through. I am looking myself. I have an AirBNB as a backup but would prefer a regular hotel to be candid. All the best with this! Once you have a hotel secured, please report back any other availability you see out there.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Klarity7

Same boat. I assume that some availability will open up once packages sell through. I am looking myself. I have an AirBNB as a backup but would prefer a regular hotel to be candid. All the best with this! Once you have a hotel secured, please report back any other availability you see out there.
I found an apartment for $750 a night. Half hour by train from my venue but not refundable. Makes me nervous. I'll bet a tray of sushi that there will be empty seats from ticket holders unable to book a hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:14 pm

How many people in your party? There's a lot of hotel availability for 2.
For example, Fressa Inn Hamamtsucho is available for 200,000yen double-occ for 5 nights, check-in 3 Aug check-out 8 Aug.
But talk about price-gouging. The same hotel on same days of the week the following week is available for half the price.

I booked a decent hotel in Nagoya at 25k yen/night. Nothing available for <50,000/night for family of 4 near Tokyo during Olympics, and it's a crappy business hotel going for 52,000/night. I'll keep an eye on Tokyo hotels. But for now the plan is to stay in Nagoya for a week and make a couple day trips to Olympics. Nagoya's not ideal of course. But over the course of a week, it'll save me >$1k while staying at a better hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn
How many people in your party? There's a lot of hotel availability for 2.
For example, Fressa Inn Hamamtsucho is available for 200,000yen double-occ for 5 nights, check-in 3 Aug check-out 8 Aug.
Thank you for the encouraging info. I have tickets for 2 days at the equestrian park in Setagaya City. How does one find these hotels with lots of availability?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Thank you for the encouraging info. I have tickets for 2 days at the equestrian park in Setagaya City. How does one find these hotels with lots of availability?
I always look on Rakuten Travel which is a Japanese website (the Japanese version).
Which nights are you looking?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I always look on Rakuten Travel which is a Japanese website (the Japanese version).
Which nights are you looking?
The English language version was very busy and "temporarily unavailable" every other click. Finally, I got two hotels of the Sotetsu Fresa Inn chain but both are pre-pay and I assume non-refundable. Do you recommend Airbnb or similasr? My preferred dates are Aug 1-7. I'll keep checking.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:50 am

The English language version was very busy and "temporarily unavailable" every other click. Finally, I got two hotels of the Sotetsu Fresa Inn chain but both are pre-pay and I assume non-refundable. Do you recommend Airbnb or similasr? My preferred dates are Aug 1-7. I'll keep checking.
Found that Airbnb has tons of availability. I grabbed one at Shibuya Sangubashi for $550/night AI. Expensive but great location between my ticketed venue and the main event sites. I'm open to other suggestions for the next 48 hours. Many thanks for your help.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:58 pm

Checking in 1 Aug, checking out 7 Aug (6 nights):
Sotetsu Fressa Inn Tokyo Kyobashi n/s double room (140cm wide bed) 288,000yen total inc tax for 2
Sotetsu Fresa Inn Ginza Sanchome n/s double room (140cm wide bed) 324,000yen total inc tax for 2
* Both non-refundable.

Trying to look for such long duration of stay does limit choices. For example, if I do 1Aug~4Aug, then other better options pop up such as
Dormy Inn Korakuen n/s double room (140cm wide bed) 91,500yen total inc tax for 2 *non-refundable.
Same room type / rates are available at the same hotel for 4Aug~7Aug. So breaking up dates that you input in your search will help.

I can't advise you on whether/not to go for Airbnb, whether/not to risk non-refundable booking, etc.
I can only tell you what I would do. I like regular hotels and I'm very risk-adverse. There's no way I'm spending $200 yen a night at an Airbnb even during the Olympic, I'm not doing nonrefundable booking a year out either if it's more than $500 total (I will do a large refundable booking with Chase trip protection if the only conceivable thing that will cancel the trip is something medical or weather-related), I need a room that's larger than 25m2 for our family of 4, but I have to have something secured somewhere that's refundable. Based on these requirements, for now I'm going to just settle for a nonrefundable booking at a decent price at a decent hotel in Nagoya.

If you're okay to take the risk on nonrefundable, then perhaps consider choosing Dormy Inn over airbnb.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:01 am

Who needs lodging?? I was unable to secure tickets and I can't get out of my non-refundable lodging, but they'll permit me to have someone take my place. Reservation is from Saturday, July 25th through Friday, July 31st. It is at The Share Hotels Lyuro Tokyo Kiyosumi. It is a hostel, but I have a private room/shared bathroom. Reviews are excellent and location looks great! I'm asking what I paid for it and no more than that.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Megancolt
Who needs lodging?? I was unable to secure tickets and I can't get out of my non-refundable lodging, but they'll permit me to have someone take my place. Reservation is from Saturday, July 25th through Friday, July 31st. It is at The Share Hotels Lyuro Tokyo Kiyosumi. It is a hostel, but I have a private room/shared bathroom. Reviews are excellent and location looks great! I'm asking what I paid for it and no more than that.
Welcome to FT.
I'm sorry about your situation.
Anyways, I have some suggestions:
1). Although this may be self-explanatory to veteran members, nonetheless you should specify that people PM (private msg) you.
2). As mentioned upthread, the word is there may be another opportunity next spring for tix when official resale window begins.
3). Are you really not going if you can't get tix? There may be events you can watch w/o tix (eg, walking race). I don't have any tix but I'm going.
4). You might get more people interested if you provided more details (price, number of occupancy, location) and offered some flexibility (willing to negotiate on price, willing to consider offer for portion of your booked dates)
Pureboy likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:54 am

Hi. Question on timing to airports. If I have an event that runs from 9:30am -12:30pm, at the Olympic stadium, will I be able to make a (Delta) Flight leaving from NRT (or HND) to ATL @ 4:30pm.

Also- will I be able to turn luggage over to ‘black cat’ transport early that morning before event and reunite with it at the airport later that afternoon? I’m staying in Shinjuku area if that is relevant.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi. Question on timing to airports. If I have an event that runs from 9:30am -12:30pm, at the Olympic stadium, will I be able to make a (Delta) Flight leaving from NRT (or HND) to ATL @ 4:30pm.

Also- will I be able to turn luggage over to ‘black cat’ transport early that morning before event and reunite with it at the airport later that afternoon? I’m staying in Shinjuku area if that is relevant.

Hi,
It looks like you have status on DL so that helps. When is the cutoff check in deadline for DL ( 1Hr?)

HND is possible ( if tight)- it could take 30mins to exit the stadium ( possibly crowds) ,then queuing for transport ( I would probably go to Hamamatsucho and get the Monrail or Shimbashi to get the train to HND ( check Hyperdia.com timetable site closer to the date for best routes)

From Tokyo station to NRT will be at least 55 mins on the Narita expresss so it is even tighter ( you would have to leave Tokyo by about 2pm at the very latest and no delays ) to allow for a 1 hr check in deadline ( ie 330pm in reality). You could also go to Ueno Station ( Keisei line) for the Keisei Skyliner to Narita.

I am almost certain the luggage transport companies will not do a same day service ( you may want to take the luggage to the airport the day before and use the left luggage)

I think both are tight but would potentially risk HND ( I would not consider NRT with your timings IMHO)

Also I think I have seen Delta might be moving all flights to HND but do not know when.

Regards

TBS

PS From hereDelta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Looks like all flights will be from HND from the start of the summer 2020 timetable ( ie March 2020)

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 1, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:50 am

For those who didn't get their tickets on the lottery, there are still some important dates for it. For example, in autumn, general ticket sales start. As tickets will be in such high demand, the most important thing is knowing the session, type of ticket, and the number of tickets that you want. Being ready is the key! Source: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/tokyo...ympics-tickets
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
It looks like you have status on DL so that helps. When is the cutoff check in deadline for DL ( 1Hr?)

HND is possible ( if tight)- it could take 30mins to exit the stadium ( possibly crowds) ,then queuing for transport ( I would probably go to Hamamatsucho and get the Monrail or Shimbashi to get the train to HND ( check Hyperdia.com timetable site closer to the date for best routes)

From Tokyo station to NRT will be at least 55 mins on the Narita expresss so it is even tighter ( you would have to leave Tokyo by about 2pm at the very latest and no delays ) to allow for a 1 hr check in deadline ( ie 330pm in reality). You could also go to Ueno Station ( Keisei line) for the Keisei Skyliner to Narita.

I am almost certain the luggage transport companies will not do a same day service ( you may want to take the luggage to the airport the day before and use the left luggage)

I think both are tight but would potentially risk HND ( I would not consider NRT with your timings IMHO)

Also I think I have seen Delta might be moving all flights to HND but do not know when.

Regards

TBS

PS From hereDelta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Looks like all flights will be from HND from the start of the summer 2020 timetable ( ie March 2020)
TBS,
Thank you so much, very helpful. I have been monitoring that thread which is what created a little anxiousness. I am concerned that any return flight I pick may be moved up earlier when changed to HND and that it may cause flight to be even closer to event time. I will just monitor and look out for changes and then act quickly to switch flights as needed.

Interesting on the luggage companies. I could release evening before I suppose and just live out of backpack. I may investigate extending my housing stay an extra day, which would help.

Drop dead cutoff for DL is one hour so that combined with status is a plus. Will see what develops with hub changes over the next few months. Thank you!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi..

If using your backpack for the last night and day I would check to see what can be brought into the stadium as there will be restrictions on what can be brought in and probably a bag and security check prior to entering the stadium area

Regards

Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.