Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
in tokyo now. the pricing has become so crazy you have to wonder if it’s a joke. so far I’ve seen:

Hakushu 12 @ ¥39,000 (that’s not a typo)
Yamazaki 18 @ ¥75,000+tax
Hibiki 21 @ ¥68,000

minis are sold out everywhere. I probably won’t keep hunting at this point as there’s way better deals to be found in the US.

sad times. glad I was able to score most of my bottles before this madness.
I wonder if I can fly back there to sell my bottles lol
Duke787, invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
in tokyo now. the pricing has become so crazy you have to wonder if it’s a joke. so far I’ve seen:

Hakushu 12 @ ¥39,000 (that’s not a typo)
Yamazaki 18 @ ¥75,000+tax
Hibiki 21 @ ¥68,000

minis are sold out everywhere. I probably won’t keep hunting at this point as there’s way better deals to be found in the US.

sad times. glad I was able to score most of my bottles before this madness.
Geeez that's ridiculous. So much regret that I didn't buy more bottles way back when and relief that my work travels took me through Tokyo in December and I managed a bottle at Liquors Hasegawa and 15 minis from BIC Shinjuku.

Won't be back until September and sounds like won't be worth even searching for my favorite (Hibiki 17). I did return to my Nikka12yo recently and found it more enjoyable than last time I was there -- perhaps this next trip I'll have to focus on the Nikka side of the world and just drink my remaining Hibiki 17 as slowly as possible.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Even Don Quixote has gotten in on the price gouging game... no doubt these will be scooped up by deep-pocketed tourists in no time.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yep, Donkis pricing are crazy now. I went to Shinanoya Shinjuku last night and saw a guy purchase a Hibiki 17 for 12k yen as I walked in. They said they didn’t have anymore which bummed me out as I assumed I missed by 1 minute. In retrospect I think he was maybe a regular high spending customer that they held the bottle for, as he was purchasing an unusually large number of bottles.

At Narita duty free every bottle said sold out, however after pressing the lady for a few moments about when they would re stock, she told me she had it. I asked which one she had and she said all of them. Ended up buying one of each (Y18, H18, H21).

Crazy times...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I asked which one she had and she said all of them. Ended up buying one of each (Y18, H18, H21).
Price?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Price?
duty free bottles are always ¥50,000
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Yikes, are you buying these whiskies at USD $450 for personal consumption?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by ralphs
It is how it is now with aged Japanese whiskies...! I wish I could go back to 2012 and buy the bottles I really enjoyed back then!
Duke787 and invalyd like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
No, I will probably sit on the airport bottles for a few years. I scored most of my personal drinking bottles at retail prices, although I will maybe enjoy them a bit slower than I used to now.

Last edited by invalyd; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Krisflyer

At Narita duty free every bottle said sold out, however after pressing the lady for a few moments about when they would re stock, she told me she had it. I asked which one she had and she said all of them. Ended up buying one of each (Y18, H18, H21).

Crazy times...
Did you asked for the 25 years ones? I guess they would have if the 18 LE are avaliable.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SQ50
Did you asked for the 25 years ones? I guess they would have if the 18 LE are avaliable.
The Hibiki 30 was definitely sold out. I’m not really sure about the Yamazaki 25 since I wasn’t in the market for it. I think they receive a more limited quantity of those bottles.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

By the way, ANA also now serves Hibiki 17 minis in biz class. They used to pour from the big bottle though perhaps recent news has changed that. We were sitting in F and drinking H21, but the flight attendant was nice enough to bring us a few minis from the J cabin to take home. Park Hyatt still has them for $28 a pop if you're staying there as well.

Never in my life before have I been sitting in F and wanted to be downgraded!
Duke787 and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:39 pm

By the way, ANA also now serves Hibiki 17 minis in biz class. They used to pour from the big bottle though perhaps recent news has changed that. We were sitting in F and drinking H21, but the flight attendant was nice enough to bring us a few minis from the J cabin to take home. Park Hyatt still has them for $28 a pop if you're staying there as well.

Never in my life before have I been sitting in F and wanted to be downgraded!
I hope they still have some when I fly out late AUG.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This is exciting news, I am flying out Jul 31 — I will have to see if they're kind enough to let me snag one or two...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
This is exciting news, I am flying out Jul 31 — I will have to see if they're kind enough to let me snag one or two...
Are you in F or J? If the latter should be easy, just order and stash. In F they will probably bring you one per person if you say you want it as a souvenir but it will be difficult to push for more from my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.