Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'random questions about Japan' thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kyonn
How easy/hard would it be for an English speaker to get around?

I'm considering visiting vising Tokyo in the Spring but I'm a little concerned as I don't speak Japanese. Particularly navigating customs and getting from the airport to wherever I decide to stay is giving me pause in booking the trip.

Also is there a way to get a local sim card before I land? Would feel much more comfortable if I had data access on my phone as soon as I arrived.

Thanks in advance for any input.
No worries mate. Japan is one of the safest, easiest countries to get around.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:24 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Nearly* all posted signs for locations and in train stations (even in the extreme country-side) have the English transliteration. Trains also rarely run modified schedules. It isn't like NY where if you don't have internet access or have the map in your head that you'll get screwed on the weekends.

* Never came across one that wasn't.

I would not worry about this. What would be considered bad behavior elsewhere may also likely be considered the same there too, sans some minor things. Furthermore, if you're not Asian, you're not going to get any flack for it.

Particularly navigating customs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...de-buying.html
YMMV depending on your phone. If it's a more obscure one, you may have trouble with b-mobile.

Also is there a way to get a local sim card before I land? Would feel much more comfortable if I had data access on my phone as soon as I arrived.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:06 am
In memoriam

I'm considering visiting vising Tokyo in the Spring but I'm a little concerned as I don't speak Japanese. Particularly navigating customs and getting from the airport to wherever I decide to stay is giving me pause in booking the trip.

It isn't hard to get around on the subway (although we were told to avoid rush hours - except as a cultural experience - very very crowded - and we did). All the subway station name signs - at least in Tokyo - were in English characters. It can sometimes be hard finding the correct exit at a large subway stop - there can be dozens of exits - but usually there's no harm even if you take the wrong exit (except maybe having to walk an extra block or two).

It's sometimes hard to find small restaurants - but the hard to find ones are hard to find whether or not you speak/read Japanese.

Overall - you're going to have some "Lost In Translation" moments - and get lost once in a while - but it's not like a Japanese tourist missing one particular exit on the Florida Turnpike and having to drive 50 miles out of his way to get to the next exit . My only advice would be to give yourself some extra time if you have to be somewhere at a specific time - or to take a cab. Otherwise - no problem getting somewhat lost and exploring. The city is super safe (clean too) - you don't have to worry about wandering into bad neighborhoods. And the people are very polite.

Customs shouldn't be an issue at all unless you're bringing in something other than normal tourist stuff (including duty free). Nor should getting to your hotel. Try to fly into Haneda if you can get a decent flight there - it's much closer to downtown than Narita.

I don't know anything about the phone stuff. I travel with my notebook - and that's where I get my info if necessary (note that just about any decent hotel concierge will help you with specific directions written in English and Japanese - you can show the Japanese to people if you get lost).

I'm probably much older than you are - and my only concern with our upcoming trip is how I'll feel with a 13 time zone difference! Robyn
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:02 am

Short answer: No Japanese required in Tokyo.

Pretty much every sign that has any importance is also in English in airports and train/subway stations. And especially in Tokyo, most other places as well. Customs and immigration is easy. Just follow the signs and other people an do what you are told.

Most likely you will encounter some minor challenges in Tokyo due the language barrier but nothing that cannot be solved fairly easily. It is in my opinion part of the fun being in Japan. And in Tokyo there's probably someone who can speak English enough to help you within 100 feet all the time. One trick is to communicate in writing. Most Japanese have learned some English in school, but what I've heard, the basic classes have been almos entirely written English only.

About SIMs and Mifi-rentals there are plenty of discussion in this board. I have personally managed without so I cannot help you on that. But I am sure you can get all the help in English you need at the airport.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum

I visit Tokyo every three months and I don't speak a word of Japanese. Arrival into Japan, through Immigration and Customs, is a breeze.

I recommend you consider taking the Airport Limousine bus from the airport to your hotel, until you can get your bearings.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

You probably will want to download and print the English version of the subway map and study it. You should have no problems navigating the city on the subway. Almost all trains you will be on, announce the upcoming stop in English.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwayma...outemap_en.pdf

A Suica card makes travel much easier. You may purchase one before you leave the airport and load it with a few thousand Yen so you won't need to purchase a subway ticket from a machine at the station each time you travel. You can also use the Suica card at convenience stores (Lawson, Family Mart, 7-11) for your purchases. You can return it when you depart Japan and get a refund (minus a very small fee).

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex...sers_guide.pdf

Although there are others, here's the company I rent my Pocket WiFi from when I'm in Tokyo.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I'm sure you will have a great time in Japan if you decide to go.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Free agent!
I can understand some initial hesitation due to the language barrier but really the two things you mention would probably be amongst the things I worry about the least in regards to the language barrier. I could understand apprehension when it comes to, say, ordering food at a mom and pop joint or something but anything to do with an airport will be obviously be properly signed in English.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kallio
Short answer: No Japanese required in Tokyo.

Pretty much every sign that has any importance is also in English in airports and train/subway stations. And especially in Tokyo, most other places as well. Customs and immigration is easy. Just follow the signs and other people an do what you are told.

Most likely you will encounter some minor challenges in Tokyo due the language barrier but nothing that cannot be solved fairly easily. It is in my opinion part of the fun being in Japan. And in Tokyo there's probably someone who can speak English enough to help you within 100 feet all the time. One trick is to communicate in writing. Most Japanese have learned some English in school, but what I've heard, the basic classes have been almos entirely written English only.

About SIMs and Mifi-rentals there are plenty of discussion in this board. I have personally managed without so I cannot help you on that. But I am sure you can get all the help in English you need at the airport.
The road signs are also in English. (and Japanese)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by jib71
Because they doubt you'd be observant enough to notice them crossing their fingers in an X.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...6021336AAL4BLn
Originally Posted by BalbC
Escalators in JR stations in Tokyo are supposed stand on both sides, no walking allowed at all. It's not really catching on yet, but they've plastered lots of signs, so we shall see.
Mind. Blown.

As for getting around, all the signs have English printed and menus have pictures so just point and smile.

Something that worked with hotel staff when you're trying to figure out a Japanese word for something is word association:

water - mizu
box - ? (hako)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by flipstah
Something that worked with hotel staff when you're trying to figure out a Japanese word for something is word association:

water - mizu
box - ? (hako)
I don't understand. You played word association games with hotel staff who knew the word box instead of just asking for a box?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:49 am

I don't understand. You played word association games with hotel staff who knew the word box instead of just asking for a box?
No, they didn't have a box so I asked them what the Japanese word for 'box' was so I could scavenge at Family Mart.

I needed a box for check-in instead of buying more luggage.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:41 am

I don't speak a single word of Japanese and I managed to get around just fine. Some restaurants have English menus (Ichiran ramen, you need to ask them for it after paying for your food at the machine... with pictures) or ones with pictures.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by flipstah
No, they didn't have a box so I asked them what the Japanese word for 'box' was so I could scavenge at Family Mart.
For that scenario I would suggest asking the hotel staff something like "How do you say "box" in Japanese?"
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:01 pm

For that scenario I would suggest asking the hotel staff something like "How do you say "box" in Japanese?"
Of course I did that first but they kept wondering what I asking for until I made the shape of a box.

It would've helped to have known how to say "how do you say ____ in Japanese?" in Japanese.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:36 am

Thanks all for the input. I guess I'll take the plunge and start planning my trip and making arrangements in the next week or so.

One other question: How common is credit card acceptance? Do they use EMV chips like in Europe?

P.S.
Any hotel recommendations?

Last edited by Kyonn; Aug 31, 2013 at 2:48 am
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: UA MP
One other question: How common is credit card acceptance? Do they use EMV chips like in Europe?
No chips but Japan is still very much a cash-based society. Some convenience stores, taxis and restaurants accept them but not all. Most chain restaurants and larger stores will almost certainly accept credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.