Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'random questions about Japan' thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by naeglerian
When walking along the sidewalk and a bicycle is approaching, which side of the sidewalk should I be on, near or far from the curb?
If in Osaka, I recommend duck and cover.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msb0b
You mean like AEON?

7&i !
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
I don't think they're actually intended for consumption. They're just placed strategically in stores to underpin people's confidence in the superiority of rice over bread.
Maybe in regards to konbini bread. But I'll be shucked if I haven't seen a crowded DONQ, Chococro or even a Russian pelmeni place (that last one was somewhere in Ginza this year).

However, there must be a market for them, seeing as there are more varieties out than colors of hair on a Sunday in Yoyogi Park.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Always wondered why the staff in japanese shops/ food halls speak in such an artificial high pitched voice? Often repeating standard phrases even with no customers nearby Never encountered this in other countries.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:33 am
mjm
Original Member

The high pitched phone/service voice that women (and men to a certain extent) use here is a form of politeness. It comes across as false and contrived to me but that is just an opinion. It is often combined with a form of breathless style speaking which is intended to show obsequiousness. The grammar forms often used in conjunction with this voice are more polite than that used for normal "talking to friends" grammar.

The repetition of phrases is often a call to come look at wares or to try somethi8ng that is currently being pushed. At convenience stores for example, they will often have a nonstop stream of "try the chicken" or "how about some of this/that". All part of a market style approach to gett8ing customers to look at or consider goods.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Any chance of getting some tax back in Tokyo?

I want to pick up a snowboard... right now I'm in China for a few months. The problem is what I want is like $300 more than the US. At least saving on tax would help me on this front? Obviously it makes no sense to fly to the US and back just to buy a snowboard.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by alphaod
Tax exemption must be declared at the time of purchase, and the retailer must support it. In Japanese it's 免税 pronounced "man-zay". You then have to present your passport to the store clerk, and the clerk will complete a form and staple it to your passport. The consumption tax will be deducted at the point of sale. The form will be collected at or before the exit passport control, but I'm not exactly sure where.

FAQ on Tax Exemption Procedure
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA *G MM
The passport agent just yanks out the tax receipt from your passport. He never even looks at it. With a snowboard it would be impossible to present the item to him anyway.....

I wouldn't be surprised if a snowboard is much more expensive in Japan than in the US. I heard that skis were 2X when the yen was around 75-80.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Tax exemption must be declared at the time of purchase, and the retailer must support it. In Japanese it's 免税 pronounced "man-zay". You then have to present your passport to the store clerk, and the clerk will complete a form and staple it to your passport. The consumption tax will be deducted at the point of sale. The form will be collected at or before the exit passport control, but I'm not exactly sure where.

FAQ on Tax Exemption Procedure
I will look into the exact procedure, but based on your link it would seem not all merchants offer tax exemption (or refund) to foreigners. I will of course look into this and thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by gnaget
I wouldn't be surprised if a snowboard is much more expensive in Japan than in the US. I heard that skis were 2X when the yen was around 75-80.
Oh it is.

Based on US prices I would be looking at paying about 25% more in Japan. But at the same time it's probably cheaper to buy in Japan than in China… (how sad is that?!)

I will be checking the board that I'm buying, so I wouldn't be able to present the representative with the item.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I find the bins in Japan intimidating sometimes. They have 4-5 various bins for discarding/recycling and I'm not always sure which to use.

Of course, the confused miscreants before me have discarded with reckless abandon so I can't even study what's in the various bins to draw a perfect conclusion
OH MY GOD YES. So many different bins, even in McDonalds! And the pictures don't even show all the bits and pieces that come with the meal itself It's all good for the Earth though, which I appreciate.

I have been known to carry trash around in a plastic bag in my handbag the entire day because I don't know how to dispose of it and the recycle bins I see were emptied out recently/not see-through... Basically until I reach my friend's apartment and ask for her help, and she would be like "WHY" even after I explain the stress levels in recycling. Also, not a very good human being who told me to "just chuck it anywhere". LOL.

-

Mayo is awesome. There is this Japanese brand with a baby (?) on it and it's superior to all other mayo brands IMHO. ^
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Tax exemption must be declared at the time of purchase, and the retailer must support it. In Japanese it's 免税 pronounced "man-zay".
men-zay not man-zay

Originally Posted by gnaget
Depends on the brand, model and year and time of year. Japan used to be the biggest ski/snowboard market in the world so over-supply sometimes leads to incredible bargains.

I will look into the exact procedure, but based on your link it would seem not all merchants offer tax exemption (or refund) to foreigners. I will of course look into this and thanks for the link.
Most stores don't support tax exempt purchases.

Originally Posted by Ryvyan
OH MY GOD YES. So many different bins, even in McDonalds! And the pictures don't even show all the bits and pieces that come with the meal itself It's all good for the Earth though, which I appreciate.

I have been known to carry trash around in a plastic bag in my handbag the entire day because I don't know how to dispose of it and the recycle bins I see were emptied out recently/not see-through... Basically until I reach my friend's apartment and ask for her help, and she would be like "WHY" even after I explain the stress levels in recycling. Also, not a very good human being who told me to "just chuck it anywhere". LOL.
I never separate. (Apologies to PC eco-nuts). Ecology is all about conservation and efficient resource use and it's a hundred times more efficient to have trash professionals at the treatment plant separate garbage than to get consumers to do it in their kitchen or trash bins.

-
Mayo is awesome. There is this Japanese brand with a baby (?) on it and it's superior to all other mayo brands IMHO. ^
Kewpie - Looks like you missed the Mayo Mini Poll earlier in the thread.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by Ryvyan
Was this in Yokohama? Where it seems as if they have a separate bin for each plastic numbers.

Originally Posted by 5khours
men-zay not man-zay
You're right. I know the romaji is menzei, but I tried to over-correct for the great vowel shift, when the English words men and man are close enough to the intended pronunciation.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Kewpie - Looks like you missed the Mayo Mini Poll earlier in the thread.
My favorite dipping sauce for fries has to be mentaiko mayo. Tried it once and i'm hooked. It has to be made from Kewpie sweet mayo. Western mayo won't do.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I tried to over-correct for the great vowel shift, when the English words men and man are close enough to the intended pronunciation.
My irse.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:37 pm
mjm
Original Member

My favorite dipping sauce for fries has to be mentaiko mayo. Tried it once and i'm hooked. It has to be made from Kewpie sweet mayo. Western mayo won't do.
If you like that try a cup (not bowl because the cylindrical shape cause the goodness to get down to all fries)) of wedge fries with a dollop of mayo (preferably homemade not the crappola sold in stores in Japan) and a drizzle of Thai chili sauce. Had this at Roti one night with a few beers and it amazing.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...

I want to pick up a snowboard... right now I'm in China for a few months. The problem is what I want is like $300 more than the US. At least saving on tax would help me on this front? Obviously it makes no sense to fly to the US and back just to buy a snowboard.
The best area to buy snowboard gear is in the Kanda district, and especially a small discount shop called London Sports (sign in Japanese ロンドンスポーツ and just looks like a junk shop from outside, but wander inside to the back to see discounted equipment). http://www.nisekoz.com/tokyoshops.html You won't get a tax refund, but you'll save more shopping there. After my first purchase they gave me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase, so you might want to just buy something cheap the first time, and then use the coupon for something more expensive. There are lots of other bigger stores around so there is plenty of competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.