Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'random questions about Japan' thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:53 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wideman
When one asks for water at a casual restaurant (for drinking, not for tea-making), is there typically a choice between tap water and bottled water, or is it usually one or the other? If it's bottled water, are both sparkling (fizzy) and flat water usually available? I'd usually be interested in a birru, but that's not an option for me at the moment.
My experience is that it means only tap water.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by jamar
(and a 開延長 once- why don't elevators in the US have this button?)
US elevators often have a Stop or Hold button or pull knob that will stop an elevator and sound a buzzer.

Regarding the kanji-only elevator buttons, good thing the doors are equipped with pinch sensors, eh?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
When one asks for water at a casual restaurant (for drinking, not for tea-making), is there typically a choice between tap water and bottled water, or is it usually one or the other? If it's bottled water, are both sparkling (fizzy) and flat water usually available? I'd usually be interested in a birru, but that's not an option for me at the moment.
MY impression is ...

90% of the restaurants offer tapped water only.
8% have +still bottled water.
2% have +bubbled water.

Ask for green tea. In most of the cases, it's free.
I am often disapponted to see in SFO Tomokazu charge for green tea. That's not typical style here in Japan.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
At the places I usually visit, there is a pitcher of cold water on the counter, along with a stack of glasses, for customer use. It is virtually always tap water with some ice.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Any fans of Yamazaki lunch packs (in Japanese)?

Basically, one pack contains two crust-less squares of white bread filled with your nightmare du jour. Nah, actually I've tried a bunch, and particularly enjoy the peanut and chocolate "whip" versions, but frequently Yamazaki gets carried away (Calpis with three times of "cream" anyone?).
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Any fans of Yamazaki lunch packs (in Japanese)?
I don't think they're actually intended for consumption. They're just placed strategically in stores to underpin people's confidence in the superiority of rice over bread.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:39 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I've had my fair share of them. I think I preferred the egg salad ones, since it was all ふわふわ.

Of the many disturbing baked goods, the ones that disturbs me the most are hamburgers, just sitting there packaged and not refrigerated.

EDIT: Japanese/Korean bread is really nice, at least to those of us who grew up on rice. There's a certain fluffy yet dense quality to it that you don't get from other breads.

Last edited by KPT; Aug 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I have never had the courage to try the cod roe buns with extra mayonnaise that turn up at Pronto occasionally.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Water, green tea, or (in the summer) mugicha (barley tea) almost always comes with the meal. Most mom-and-pop places don't serve bottled water, either still or sparkling, although uncarbonated bottled water is commonly found in vending machines, and vending machines are commonly found everywhere.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Any fans of Yamazaki lunch packs (in Japanese)? ...
I found the peanut butter and honey ones make a pretty good "toss in the backpack" snack to take with me. Actually better than you might think.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I found the peanut butter and honey ones make a pretty good "toss in the backpack" snack to take with me.
They are more of the "toss on the backpack" style for me. But to each his own.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milepig
Unless Yokohama is a vending desert, there vending machines like every 2 feet in the entire country, and they almost always have a trash can next to them.
I find the bins in Japan intimidating sometimes. They have 4-5 various bins for discarding/recycling and I'm not always sure which to use.

Of course, the confused miscreants before me have discarded with reckless abandon so I can't even study what's in the various bins to draw a perfect conclusion
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Sidewalks?

When walking along the sidewalk and a bicycle is approaching, which side of the sidewalk should I be on, near or far from the curb? Does this have anything to do with the yellow line down the middle of the walk?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I find the bins in Japan intimidating sometimes. They have 4-5 various bins for discarding/recycling and I'm not always sure which to use.
One of them should be
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MP
I once got told off by some woman for putting a bottle in the slot for cans, she just ran off when I pointed out that there was no partition on the other side (so it went into the same garbage can). At old work it was really confusing - they had a bin for 「缶」 and another for 「空き缶」.

The yellow line (点字ブロック) is for blind people. There's usually no proper side to be on (except in stations) so whichever side is fine (unless everybody else is on one side).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.