The 'random questions about Japan' thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'random questions about Japan' thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
At least that's actually used in an over-the-top "I am so self-important!" way.

"I am Jones-san!" is just... *shudder*
joejones, to the white courtesy phone please.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Pickles
joejones, to the white courtesy phone please.
Since I was paged...

Calling yourself "-san" is an obvious faux pas which no reasonably educated Japanese person would commit. The honorifics get more difficult, though, in an organizational context. For instance, you have to call your boss "-san" internally, but refer to them without a suffix when you're in front of a customer or client, and of course the customer or client is always "-sama." And when it gets *really* awkward is when somebody switches from being a co-worker to being a client, or vice versa.

On a tangent -- in the legal profession, where I work, there is an added level of complication surrounding the title "sensei," which everyone seems to use slightly differently; e.g. some people call all lawyers "sensei," some Japanese lawyers only call other Japanese lawyers "sensei" while calling foreign lawyers "san," others will call foreign lawyers "sensei" only if they are admitted to practice in Japan, some will refer to more senior lawyers than them as "sensei" and to more junior lawyers as "san," some law firms have banned the use of the "sensei" title so as to avoid offense, some lawyers don't like being called "sensei," and clients are all over the map in terms of whether and when they use "sensei," "sama" and "san." I don't think that teachers or doctors have this problem...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Just curious but when it comes to time are Japanese people used to the 24-hr format like 19:00?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aster
Just curious but when it comes to time are Japanese people used to the 24-hr format like 19:00?
Pretty much with an extra little twist: sometimes they go beyond 23:59. For example, a bar that closes at 2am, will post their closing time as 26:00.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by aster
24-hr format is well understood. It's commonly used when talking about train departures and times of events.

If you want to sound quite precise and meticulous you could use 24-hr format in everyday conversation. It's a bit "stiff", though. When speaking more casually, you can use 12-hr format with modifiers like - "gozen" (before noon), "gogo" (after noon), "asa" (morning), "yugata" (early evening), "yoru" (evening), "yonaka" (middle of the night).
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Officially the law was passed in 1873 (明治6年) to use European time system. When Japan opened the country in 1854 after closing the country for 300 years, most modern Western thing came from Europe where 24 hrs. system were being used. However, initially 24 hrs. system were mainly used by Japanese military and not much by general public in Japan.

On 1942 (昭和17年) Japanese National Railroad (predecessor of JR, and was government entity back then) adopted 24 hrs. system to avoid confusion between 7 a.m. vs.7 p.m., etc. Then it was quickly adopted by general public in Japan.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For example, a bar that closes at 2am, will post their closing time as 26:00.
Love this. It reminds me of this.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:07 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Pretty much with an extra little twist: sometimes they go beyond 23:59. For example, a bar that closes at 2am, will post their closing time as 26:00.
This is also the format for television, and some transit schedules
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:02 pm
In memoriam

Why are there "Newspaper Holidays" (today is one of them)? Robyn
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Love this. It reminds me of this.
I've seen as high as 32:00 in the wild.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by robyng
Why are there "Newspaper Holidays" (today is one of them)? Robyn
This date back when newspapers were pretty much only news media for public. Newspapers are published every day, including Sundays and holidays. To provide day off for newspaper media, including print shops, local delivery center, etc. Japanese newspaper came up with newspaper holiday, which happens 10 time every years. The major newspaper came to unwritten agreement so that all major newspaper will take newspaper holiday on same day.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
A better question would be why most of the major Japanese papers still put out wafer-thin evening editions.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
A better question would be why most of the major Japanese papers still put out wafer-thin evening editions.
I wouldn't shell out over 100 yen for a regular newspaper, but I'll occasionally pay 50 yen evening edition for the train ride home.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:23 pm

It is tradition, something still goes on in Japan.

I sound like Fiddler on the Roof.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
It is tradition, something still goes on in Japan.

I sound like Fiddler on the Roof.
Funny, you don't LOOK Jewish!

(Don't get upset, folks, that's a joke. I don't really know what Always looks like.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.