Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:42 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
If you think that you'll do any other mid-distance travel in the region within a 14 days, then the JR east pass becomes worthwhile. For example, you could use it for your travel from Narita airport to Tokyo and back (assuming your trip is less than 14 days). That saves you a couple of thousand yen each way.
Cheapest route from Narita to various points in Tokyo hover from ¥900 - ~¥1300. Savings per person would be less than a couple thousand yen each way.

Having taken every land route between NRT and Tokyo (save for the Skyliner, but including a taxi), I generally opt for the limited express Keisei; 15 minutes of extra train time (in Japan, no less) isn't a bummer.

Options
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Cheapest route from Narita to various points in Tokyo hover from ¥900 - ~¥1300. Savings per person would be less than a couple thousand yen each way.
There's a joke that I like about a man who tells his friend that he saves 420 yen a day by running behind the bus to work. His friend suggests that he could save over 2000 yen per day by running behind a taxi.

A couple of thousand each way is what I'd save on that round-trip between airport and city, since I like the Skyliner. It's less than what you could save if you like the N'Ex or the bus. It's much less tan you'd save if you take a taxi ... but since the OP has already stated that he's less interested in fares than he is in convenience, it's all a bit moot.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by jib71
If you think that you'll do any other mid-distance travel in the region within a 14 days, then the JR east pass becomes worthwhile. For example, you could use it for your travel from Narita airport to Tokyo and back (assuming your trip is less than 14 days). That saves you a couple of thousand yen each way.
Once in Nikko you can purchase Tobu bus passes that obviate the need for paying individual fares,
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

Bear in mind that all the JR East passes ( JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass, JR East Tohoku Area Pass, and South Hokkaido pass (really?!?) ) are valid for travel to Nikko. So you might consider what other trips would interest you before selecting a pass.
Thanks for the advice.
Trying to figure out which lines are covered by the JR east is a little complicated for me. However, the JR east website does list kusatsu/minakami/oze area as a possible destination, so I am going to assume that the pass covers that. So for me, it would make sense to get the JR east nagano niigata pass for the following uses:
(5 Non-consecutive days)
Day 1: Tokyo - Nikko (kinugawa onsen)
Day 2: Around Nikko (or I may use the tobu passes as suggested)
Day 3: Kinugawa onsen to Jomo-kogen
Day 4: Jomo-kogen back to Tokyo via Joetsu Shinkansen
Day 5: Tokyo to Haneda or possibly a day trip out somewhere.......

Is there any additional seat reservation charge for the shinkansen?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by fledglingraptormoon
Is there any additional seat reservation charge for the shinkansen?
No charge if you have the pass. Just show it at a ticket office and they'll issue a "ticket" with the seat number. That ticket is only valid together with the pass.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Having taken every land route between NRT and Tokyo (save for the Skyliner, but including a taxi)
I think I have you beat: I've done the bus, local train (JR and Keisei), N'EX, taxi, Skyliner, and the helicopter.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:36 pm

similar situation to fledglingraptormoon

just putting my thoughts down somewhere

16 days in Japan(first time), arriving NRT, leaving HND
~6 days in Tokyo+day-trips (nagano/Nikko/Kamakura/Hakone?)
~7 days in Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto/Nara) region
~2 days in Chugoku region (Hiroshima/Himeji/...)

Tokyo-Hiroshima RT pays for 7-day pass...
with the additional day trips from tokyo to Nagano/Nikko, almost no brainer to get a 14-day pass?
(and I'll get more flexibility, can spend more than 7 days in Kansai and Chugoku)

Math:
7-day pass -- 29,110 yen
14-day pass - 46,390 yen (difference of 17280)

NEX express one-way is 3000 yen
RT Tokyo-Nagano is already 16,400 (or get a JREast pass for 18,000 or JRTokyoWide for 10000 which doesnt cover nagano)

day 1 - NRT-Tokyo NEX express (covered)
day 2-4 Tokyo/Daytrips from Tokyo (tokyo need to pay for subway)
day 5 Tokyo-Kyoto Shinkansen (covered)
day 5-9 Kyoto/Nara/Osaka (picking one as the base, maybe getting the Kansai Thru Pass)
day 10-11 Kobe/Himeji/Hiroshima (covered)
day 12 Hiroshima-Tokyo (Covered, likely taking sunrise seto)
day 13-15 Tokyo/Daytrips from Tokyo (covered)
day 16 HND airport (need to pay extra)

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 30, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by paperwastage
similar situation to fledglingraptormoon

just putting my thoughts down somewhere ...
I have put together similar trips involving several long distance rail trips plus several more shorter trips and always found the 14-day Rail Pass to be good value.

Having the longer duration Rail Pass also allows you to change plans on the fly and take other trains. Also, the trips between Kyoto-Osaka-Nara are all JR, so covered.

Depending on where you stay in Tokyo, the trip to HND is pretty inexpensive so paying out-of-pocket is no big deal. Pick up a pre-paid Suica or Pasmo card for Tokyo subways, local trains and small purchases like convenience stores.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Apr 30, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Okay, I need help.

Wife and I are heading to Japan in a couple of weeks. We were originally going to spend all 5 days in Tokyo but now we think we want to take a day trip to Kyoto.

Thus with a round trip on NEX and a round trip to Kyoto, would the JR Pass be the best deal?

Also, is it still true that you have to buy it before you go. I read that from March they were trying out allowing you to buy it in country?

Also, the JR Pass doesn't work on the Tokyo subway right? What are my options for that?

thanks
Old May 1, 2017, 5:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swiftaw

Also, is it still true that you have to buy it before you go. I read that from March they were trying out allowing you to buy it in country?

Also, the JR Pass doesn't work on the Tokyo subway right? What are my options for that?

thanks
@swiftaw, in response to your first question, check out this link: http://www.japanrailpass.net/file/trial_basis_en.pdf. Seems that you might be able to buy the pass in Japan.

JR Passes don't work on either the Tokyo/Toei metro (the "subway" is actually two different companies, though neither is operated by JR). Check out this link for pass suggestions.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:27 pm

@swiftaw, in response to your first question, check out this link: http://www.japanrailpass.net/file/trial_basis_en.pdf. Seems that you might be able to buy the pass in Japan.

JR Passes don't work on either the Tokyo/Toei metro (the "subway" is actually two different companies, though neither is operated by JR). Check out this link for pass suggestions.
Thanks. Looks like it's a little more expensive if you buy it in Japan. If you buy it in the US how long does it take to receive it, or is it delivered via email?
Old May 1, 2017, 7:18 pm

Thanks. Looks like it's a little more expensive if you buy it in Japan. If you buy it in the US how long does it take to receive it, or is it delivered via email?
physical voucher by mail (or in person at one of the authorized vendors)

when you arrive in japan, you have to exchange the physical voucher for a pass at one of the JR offices in japan. This exchange must take place within 3 months of buying the voucher

(so you can't buy the voucher too early before your trip)

when you exchange it, you can choose which date (within 30 days) to actually activate the pass
Old May 1, 2017, 9:14 pm

Most authorized dealers will send the voucher by second day delivery. My favorite uses Fed-Ex.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:55 pm

Okay, I've done some research and I think I've figured this out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can order the voucher from a vendor and have it delivered to my house. When I land in NRT, I can go to the JR Rail office and exchange the voucher for the pass. I can use this pass on the NEX and on the Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto (but not the Nozomi).

The NEX requires reserved seats, and you can reserve seats on the Hikari if you choose, this can be done at a JR rail office.

If all the above is correct, note only question is, which vendor to use. I've stumbled across two so far:

https://www.jrailpass.com/
https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/

Anyone have experience with either of these, or some alternative sources.

Thanks for answering newbie questions, I am usually ultra-prepared when I take a trip and do lots of research, but this one came together at the last minute and I feel kind of clueless.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:12 pm

Remember that you can have the same agent who exchanges your Rail Pass at NRT also make your N'Ex reservation. I always make advance reservations for the Hikari as it sometimes sells out. My practice is to stop in as soon as I arrive at the station in a new destination and make my reservations for the next planned trip. If plans change, you can just abandon the reservation and make a new one - or try to walk on in the non-reserved cars.

As for purchase, I'd use the nearest authorized dealer to you. The following site has a lot of helpful information. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on "Buy from a designated JR sales office or agent." Then find the list for your area. If there is one in or near your city you can drop in and pick it up immediately or if not, call and ask them to send it to you second day.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/
Old May 14, 2017, 11:31 pm

If all the above is correct, note only question is, which vendor to use. I've stumbled across two so far:

https://www.jrailpass.com/
https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/

Anyone have experience with either of these, or some alternative sources
I have the same question. Is either of the above online vendor dependable? Their pricing is almost identical: US$402 vs $401 for a 14-day pass, with free shipping via Fedex. (I understand these prices change daily due to forex rate fluctuations.)

Alternately, I can visit the JTB office in San Francisco in person, but I haven't yet found out their price or if they charge in USD. (I would think they charge in USD. If they charge the USD equivalent of the official price of 46,390 JPY, at today's exchange rate, it will end up slightly more expensive than the 2 online vendors. Perhaps the online vendors offer a slight discount?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.