Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:23 pm

Hello- I have the following up coming plans in mid-December. I am trying to figure out when/where would be the best place for me to exchange our vouchers for JR Passes.

* land in Haneda at 10:20pm (connecting through KIX (arrive at 18:50 and departs at 21:10)
* stay in Shinjuku for the night
* leave in morning to take the 7:30 or 8:30am Fuji Excursion to Kawaguchiko.
* this will be the start of our 7 day travel around Japan and will be heading to Osaka the next morning.

I believe the Shinjuku JR service window only opens at 8am. If so, would that leave enough time to exchange our passes and reserve a seat for the 8:30am train that day?

It seems our only other option would be to nix trying to get our passes before Kawaguchiko and to pay separately/additionally for the Shinjuku > Kawaguchiko; Kawaguchiko > Osaka portions of our trip, unless I'm missing something?
  • The Shinjuku > Kawaguchiko portion seems to be about 1600JPY/pp. Can these tickets be purchased online in advance of arriving to Japan? Would it be advisable to pay for seat reservations or can is there standing room if there are no seats? Can this also be done online?
  • We will be going from Kawaguchiko > Mishima to catch the shinkansen to Shin-Osaka. If I'm reading the schedule correctly, we would like to catch the Hikari #505 which looks like it stops in Mishima @ 9:46am and reaches Shin-Osaka @ 11:57am. How much time should I allow at Mishima to exchange the passes and reserve seats for that train?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The line for JR passes can sometimes be long. A lot of customers are not just getitng the passe, they are also booking tickets. It could take well over 30 minutes if your unlucky. (That said, when I got a JR rail pass at Tokyo during Covid, they told me they hadn't sold a single pass in months.)
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: ANA Pt
Originally Posted by zeo219
Hello- I have the following up coming plans in mid-December. I am trying to figure out when/where would be the best place for me to exchange our vouchers for JR Passes.

* land in Haneda at 10:20pm (connecting through KIX (arrive at 18:50 and departs at 21:10)
* stay in Shinjuku for the night
* leave in morning to take the 7:30 or 8:30am Fuji Excursion to Kawaguchiko.
* this will be the start of our 7 day travel around Japan and will be heading to Osaka the next morning.

I believe the Shinjuku JR service window only opens at 8am. If so, would that leave enough time to exchange our passes and reserve a seat for the 8:30am train that day?

It seems our only other option would be to nix trying to get our passes before Kawaguchiko and to pay separately/additionally for the Shinjuku > Kawaguchiko; Kawaguchiko > Osaka portions of our trip, unless I'm missing something?
  • The Shinjuku > Kawaguchiko portion seems to be about 1600JPY/pp. Can these tickets be purchased online in advance of arriving to Japan? Would it be advisable to pay for seat reservations or can is there standing room if there are no seats? Can this also be done online?
  • We will be going from Kawaguchiko > Mishima to catch the shinkansen to Shin-Osaka. If I'm reading the schedule correctly, we would like to catch the Hikari #505 which looks like it stops in Mishima @ 9:46am and reaches Shin-Osaka @ 11:57am. How much time should I allow at Mishima to exchange the passes and reserve seats for that train?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Fuji Excursion will likely be sold out 1-2 weeks before your travel date so JR Pass will not be effective. Best to purchase a month in advance via eki-net.com. Public transport from Kawaguchiko to Mishima before 945 am may be impossible aside from going back to Yokohama, etc. Maybe revise plans to visit Fuji area later?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by synergypi
Fuji Excursion will likely be sold out 1-2 weeks before your travel date so JR Pass will not be effective. Best to purchase a month in advance via eki-net.com. Public transport from Kawaguchiko to Mishima before 945 am may be impossible aside from going back to Yokohama, etc. Maybe revise plans to visit Fuji area later?
Thank you, that’s incredibly helpful to know. I will purchase those Fuji Excursion tickets a month before. We unfortunately cannot revise plans as certain plans have already been made. We were thinking of taking a taxi from our hotel near Kawaguchiko station to Mishima to try and 1. Exchange our vouchers to JR Passes there and 2. Make that particular Hikari train to Osaka.

Does this seem doable? And if so, would getting to Mishima an hour before that train be enough time?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:48 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Mishima isn't a busy station so an hour should be fine for exchanging the pass. But Kawaguchiko to Mishima is an hour by taxi at best (and will be expensive), and I don't know if taxis will want to go that far.

For the Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko part, if the Fuji Excursion train doesn't work out for whatever reason, there are other limited express trains stopping in Otsuki that are less popular. Or use the local trains that can't sell out, then local trains from Otsuki to Kawaguchiko.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: ANA Pt
I'd guess taxi to Mishima would take about an hour, more if weather is wintry, and budget an hour for JR pass etc.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:25 am

Is there a list somewhere of train tickets/reservations that cannot be made/purchased through eki-net.com? Can non JR-EAST trains tickets/seats be purchased reserved? I am trying to schedule the following reservations/purchase tickets - can these all be done through eki-net.com?
  1. purchase tickets for Fuji Excursion Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko
  2. reserve seats for shinkansen Mishima > Shin-Osaka, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
  3. reserve seats for shinkansen Shin-Osaka > Kyoto, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
  4. reserve seats for shinkansen Kyoto > Tokyo, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
How can one tell whether a ticket/train is "Tokuten" or not? (as there seems to be different allowances for # of times tickets can be changed depending on whether it is Tokuten or not)
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:18 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by zeo219
Is there a list somewhere of train tickets/reservations that cannot be made/purchased through eki-net.com? Can non JR-EAST trains tickets/seats be purchased reserved? I am trying to schedule the following reservations/purchase tickets - can these all be done through eki-net.com?
  1. purchase tickets for Fuji Excursion Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko
  2. reserve seats for shinkansen Mishima > Shin-Osaka, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
  3. reserve seats for shinkansen Shin-Osaka > Kyoto, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
  4. reserve seats for shinkansen Kyoto > Tokyo, using JR Pass and purchase 1 ticket so we are seated together
How can one tell whether a ticket/train is "Tokuten" or not? (as there seems to be different allowances for # of times tickets can be changed depending on whether it is Tokuten or not)
In general, the train must be operated by JR East to be bookable on JR East eki-net. Check the website for their maps, and if it is covered by either the JR East Nagano/Niigata pass or Tohoku pass it will be available to book, if it isn't, then it won't. (A few trains of the trains that are not JR East but are covered by some of the passes are also available such as the Hokuriku shinkansen, southern Hokkaido, and a few third-sector railways).

For 1, part of the trip is on the Fuji kyuko railway, which afaik does not accept online reservations for through trains to Tokyo, only on trains that operate between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko. If you don't mind changing trains, you can book a (paid) Fujikyuko train online plus a Shinjuku-Otsuki train on eki-net with the pass, and the overall cost should be the same.

For 2-4, they are all on JR Central, which also does not accept online reservations for passes, only paid tickets. From Osaka to Kyoto (3), it's probably not worth taking the shinkansen since the local trains are fast and frequent, and go directly to Osaka station.

If the trains listed here are all of your big trips, you'd be better off not getting a JR pass and just booking paid tickets. It will about break even (at old pricing) or be significantly cheaper (post-October pricing) at about 31,000 yen or 29,000 if you take local trains for (3), but you can also use advance purchase discounts so it can easily be less than that. (Not counting about 1500 yen for Fuji Kyuko which you'd have to pay anyway).

And with paid tickets you can reserve most of the trains online (JR Central's SmartEX for 2-4), you can save a bunch of time by taking the nozomi trains for only marginally more money, and you don't have to wait to pick up the pass.
Agneisse likes this.

Last edited by bpe; Nov 15, 2023 at 7:12 pm Reason: Added pricing details for paid tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.