Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You've done a good job of breaking down the +/- . I agree that you will probably want another day - at least - for Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. I really don't like the idea of trying to do a day in Nara and still continue on to Tokyo afterward. That would require a back-track to Kyoto to catch the shinkansen. Better to do at least one more night in Kyoto.

The 14-day Rail Pass is expensive but part of the off-set is those local area passes you are contemplating. You wouldn't need them. With the 14-day Rail Pass, everything could be covered, including both directions on the Narita Express (assuming both flights via NRT.) In addition to your planned trips, having the longer-term Pass leaves open the option to jump on a train for an unplanned, spur of the moment day trip. In November, I'd be very tempted to take a day from Tokyo and run north to Sendai or further to Matsushima - either by train all the way or catch the ferry at Hon-Shiogama. I love that ferry ride to Matsushima and the fall color there was the best I found south of Hokkaido.

I think you have 75% sold yourself on the 14-day Rail Pass. My suggestion is to go with that instinct. That is what I would do with that itinerary.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
You've done a good job of breaking down the +/- . I agree that you will probably want another day - at least - for Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. I really don't like the idea of trying to do a day in Nara and still continue on to Tokyo afterward. That would require a back-track to Kyoto to catch the shinkansen. Better to do at least one more night in Kyoto.

The 14-day Rail Pass is expensive but part of the off-set is those local area passes you are contemplating. You wouldn't need them. With the 14-day Rail Pass, everything could be covered, including both directions on the Narita Express (assuming both flights via NRT.) In addition to your planned trips, having the longer-term Pass leaves open the option to jump on a train for an unplanned, spur of the moment day trip. In November, I'd be very tempted to take a day from Tokyo and run north to Sendai or further to Matsushima - either by train all the way or catch the ferry at Hon-Shiogama. I love that ferry ride to Matsushima and the fall color there was the best I found south of Hokkaido.

I think you have 75% sold yourself on the 14-day Rail Pass. My suggestion is to go with that instinct. That is what I would do with that itinerary.
Yes, the spontaneity allowed by the Rail Pass is one of its main attractions.

A couple of years ago, I started out with the intention of going to Nikko, but then, when the train reached Utsonomiya, the transfer point for the Nikko Line, I thought, "No, it's early in the day, and I'm in an unreserved seat, so I'll just keep going." I ended up at Matsushima via Sendai, and it was a great trip. I didn't get back to my Tokyo hotel till about 11:00PM, but so what?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:04 am

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will search those places and add it to Maps for a possible trip.

Today I was looking into a small detour on the way to Tokyo, like going to Shirakawa/Takayama, then to Matsumoto and from there to Fuji Five lakes. But according to Hyperdia this detour is not small at all all the travel to and from those places takes at least 3 hours...

Regarding the current itinerary, a couple of questions:

- Do you think it is worth it to spend a night in Osaka instead of a day-trip from Kyoto?
- Do you have any onsen suggestions for Lake Kawaguchi or Hakone? I still haven't made my mind if I want a room with a private onsen or renting it for a couple of hours. Or maybe go to some shared hotsprings? And most places don't price their rooms so far in advance so that doesn't help.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by justatourist
... - Do you think it is worth it to spend a night in Osaka instead of a day-trip from Kyoto? ...
No. With a Rail Pass, they are only minutes apart on the shinkansen or Ltd. Express. I'd avoid yet another day of shifting hotels and just visit for the day.

As for the question about onsen, I can't help as I don't do ryokans. Haven't for years.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

My Japan trips are usually in the 14 day range, and I frequently struggle with the 7 vs 14 day rail pass decision.

IMO, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- The truly costly trains are long-distance Shinkansens, and to a lesser extent, Ltd Express trains. The pass almost never pays off for local trips. You can check Hyperdia for a price estimate. For some itineraries, it's possible to condense your long-distance travel into 7 days. For instance, I've done Tokyo-Sendai-Osaka-Hiroshima-Hakata on a 7 day pass and then flown back to Tokyo (see next point).
- Flights can be very cheap using Avios or cash (on routes where LCC competition is strong), but often, flying is less convenient than train travel -- some airports are far away from city centers -- so I wouldn't fly routes that take less than 4 hours by train (e.g., fly HND-FUK, but don't fly HND-KIX). When calculating the value of rail pass travel, it's important to keep in mind flight prices (which can be very reasonable), instead of just looking at the rail fares shown on Hyperdia.
- There's a bewildering array of regional rail passes, which can be excellent value. For three of my last five trips, I didn't buy a national JR Pass, but just relied on flights and regional rail passes. I would advise against buying a 7-day national JR pass and supplement it with a regional pass. There may be savings, but as has been pointed out in prior posts, you give up flexibility.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:35 am

Hello, a general train question:

For the Nozomi trains (not included with JR pass) - Since they are so frequent, is it really necessary to make advance reservations and seat reservations (if taking a reserved green car)? Or can we just walk up at whatever time we want to go and pretty much be able to get 2 seats together?

If we commit to a particular Shinkansen (e.g., 10AM Tokyo to Kyoto) with seat assignments - Can we change to another train if required? (before the 10AM train departs).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
It depends ...

1) Time of day:
Take a look at the electronic displays in the JR ticket offices to see the availability of reserved seating in the upcoming departures. You will notice that there are some times of day when the trains get pretty booked up (indicated by triangles for mostly booked - or X marks for fully booked cars). And there are some times when there are plenty of available seats (indicated by green circles). For example, trains at 5pm - 7pm can be pretty popular with business types who have been in town for meetings and are going home.

2) Departure Station
If you're taking a train from Tokyo Station (the first station), then you have a pretty good chance of snagging seats in the unreserved section of a train, even during busy times. Visit the platform for the next departure. If there's already a huge line for unreserved cars, go to the platform for a train that departs in 15 minutes. Take your place in the queue for an unreserved seating car and you can pretty much guarantee you'll get seats. Unless, of course, we're talking about ultra-busy times like the start of a long weekend. On those occasions, you may find that there are long queues for all unreserved cars on all trains departing, all day.
On the other hand, if you're boarding a train to Tokyo at, say, Kyoto, then you may find that all seats were snaffled up by the folks at the previous station (Osaka).

It's not advisable to take seats in a green car or reserved seating car, even if you see that they're empty at Tokyo Station. Why? Because someone may claim those seats when the train gets to Shinagawa or Shin Yokohama station.

If you have reserved seats on a particular train, you can change the reservation to another train. I believe there's a limit on the number of times that you can do this. I also believe that you can take an unreserved seat in another train.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:28 am

Thank you very much jib71 !
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:51 pm

Rail pass travel suggestions?

Tokyo to Kanazawa, then to Osaka, then to Hakodate and Sapporo by rail.
Any suggestions on which side of the train to sit for best views for each leg?
Any other suggestions would be welcome. Traveling April 8 to14.
Sapporo stay April 14 to May 2. Been a few times but interested in "fresh ideas".
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:21 pm

Tokyo to Kanazawa shinkansen is new so I don't have a suggestion. Kanazawa to Osaka there are several trains but I assume you're on the Thunderbird so right side for better views. For the run up through Tohoku to Aomori, I like the left side for nice views out over the rolling hills and farmlands. From Hakodate to Sapporo, I'd select the right side as that is the ocean side.

For the tunnel section under the sea between Aomori and Hokkaido, it really doesn't matter but right side may be marginally better. Look for the tiny little station down at the bottom.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, NW
My opinion about the regional rail passes is that unless you KNOW that you are staying in one area, the national JR Pass is a better deal.

The monthly train schedule book that is available at station kiosks lists the regional passes that are available at any given time, but it is in Japanese only. These regional passes are used mostly by residents of Japan, who may go to a specific area for their vacation, and who are not eligible for a JR Pass. I used them during my student days in Tokyo, since at that time, at least, they included a roundtrip fare from Tokyo to the destination area.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
My opinion about the regional rail passes is that unless you KNOW that you are staying in one area, the national JR Pass is a better deal.

The monthly train schedule book that is available at station kiosks lists the regional passes that are available at any given time, but it is in Japanese only. These regional passes are used mostly by residents of Japan, who may go to a specific area for their vacation, and who are not eligible for a JR Pass. I used them during my student days in Tokyo, since at that time, at least, they included a roundtrip fare from Tokyo to the destination area.
I don't know if there are different regional passes for Japanese residents but here is a list of different regional rail passes available for visitors (and some for locals too)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

Combining them with national pass rarely is a good idea because extra weeks for national pass are relatively cheap. Those Tohoku and Hokkaido passes that lets you pick validity days within 14 days can make also save some money if you cannot squeeze your train travels in north within seven days.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:07 pm

Rail Pass update

It seems that Japanese can still purchase the rail pass if they can prove to the Japanese Consulate of their 10 year plus residency outside of Japan.

Last edited by Old Pa Kettle; Apr 18, 2017 at 3:41 am Reason: better
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:08 pm

I'm traveling to Tokyo in mid October.
Intend to spend two nights in Nikko and then head to oze and tanigawadake (ideally without heading back to Tokyo) for another couple of days. Would it make sense to purchase a Japan east pass for niigata/Nagano (5 days of travel within 14 days, jpy 17,000) or should I purchase a Tokyo wide pass to visit Nikko (good for 3 days, jpy 10,000) and make use of local buses to get to Oze area? There is a 4 day pass (jpy2400) for local buses by kan-etsu that links Kamata and chuzenji-onsen. However I will be staying at asaya so not sure about the logistics of getting to chuzenji-onsen just yet.

Other than the cost factor, I'm looking at convenience of transport and which pass covers more legs of the journey without having to top up for individual tickets.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by fledglingraptormoon
Would it make sense to purchase a Japan east pass for niigata/Nagano (5 days of travel within 14 days, jpy 17,000)
If you think that you'll do any other mid-distance travel in the region within a 14 days, then the JR east pass becomes worthwhile. For example, you could use it for your travel from Narita airport to Tokyo and back (assuming your trip is less than 14 days). That saves you a couple of thousand yen each way.
Once in Nikko you can purchase Tobu bus passes that obviate the need for paying individual fares,
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

Bear in mind that all the JR East passes ( JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass, JR East Tohoku Area Pass, and South Hokkaido pass (really?!?) ) are valid for travel to Nikko. So you might consider what other trips would interest you before selecting a pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.