Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Will be in Japan for 20 days in late June/early July. Trying to decide between the 14 and 21 day Japan Rail Pass. The 14 day definitely pays off for my itinerary. Really a question on whether paying the difference for the 21 day pass is worth the use of the rail pass for 7 days in Tokyo (4 days at the beginning, 3 at the end).

In a 12 day span we will do the following trips:
Tokyo → Hiroshima
Hiroshima → Miyajima RT
Hiroshima → Okayama
Okayama → Himeji → Kyoto
Kyoto → Nara RT
Kyoto → Kanazawa
Takayama → Kanazawa
Kanazawa → Tokyo

The calculator costs that out 55,600-63,100 yen vs the 46,930 14 day cost -- and there are probably a couple more rides not listed above.

It is about 13,000 more yen for the 21 day pass covering our additional 7 days in Tokyo.

We arrive HND and leave NRT, but will most likely not take the train to/from the airport as we are traveling with 2 kids and a decent amount of stuff (we will pack down for the train rides and forward the larger bags twice during the 12 days). We will most likely spend part of a day in Yokohama and may take another day trip from Tokyo during the 7 days in question.

Would also be interested in any opinions on whether doing a green pass instead of the ordinary changes your 14 vs 21 day recommendation?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Transportation in Tokyo is cheap, and with a group of 4 sometimes taking a taxi can also make sense. If you take the bus to the airport and don't have numerous side trips from Tokyo planned I would stick with the 14day pass.
The green car is nice but it's not really that big a deal. Just be prepared to sometimes take 2 x 2 seats and book a day in advance.

For me 7 days in Tokyo would be a bit much. You could consider to include a destination as Fukuoka in your schedule for a few days and take some day trips from there. Some nice destinations in Kyushu. Or if you want to travel less take a trip to the Fuji lake area and travel light by leaving most of your bags in Tokyo.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by dbuckho
It is about 13,000 more yen for the 21 day pass covering our additional 7 days in Tokyo.
If you stay within the Yamanote line, you're not going to spend 1,800 yen per day, every day, on public transport. There might be one or two days when you spend that, but it won't all be on JR lines.
That said, if you plan day trips from Tokyo, it might be worth it.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Really a question on whether paying the difference for the 21 day pass is worth the use of the rail pass for 7 days in Tokyo (4 days at the beginning, 3 at the end).
I don't think that the railpass is very useful in Tokyo. If you stay in Tokyo, you won't need a JR pass.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Appreciate the input. Sounds like a 14 day pass is the way to go.

My in-laws will be with us as well (so 6 of us total). They will do a Narita express one-way when they arrive, but even adding that seems it additionally takes adding a day trip to someplace like Nikko for the 21 day pass to really pay off.

We really just have 4 days in Tokyo. The last 3 are 2 days at Tokyo Disneyland and then our departure day (my in-laws leave prior).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
They will do a Narita express one-way when they arrive, but even adding that seems it additionally takes adding a day trip to someplace like Nikko for the 21 day pass to really pay off.
Probably better to pay for the Airport express. You could always do Nikko within the 14 day pass. The Express alone doesn't justify getting the 21 day pass.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by RTW1

For me 7 days in Tokyo would be a bit much. You could consider to include a destination as Fukuoka in your schedule for a few days and take some day trips from there. Some nice destinations in Kyushu. Or if you want to travel less take a trip to the Fuji lake area and travel light by leaving most of your bags in Tokyo.
Getting a Suica debit card doesn't save you any money, but it is usable on all the forms of transportation you are likely to take.

Staying in Tokyo for seven days is not excessive if you take the right day trips. Nikko and Hakone are both accessible by reasonably priced private rail lines (you can get an excursion fare to Hakone from Shinjuku on the private Odakyu Line that includes all forms of transportation within the park), and Kamakura, while accessible by JR, is not a very expensive trip. So that's three days right there. You can even take an extension of the Yurakucho subway line to visit Kawagoe for a couple of hours.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ksandness
Getting a Suica debit card doesn't save you any money
It certainly does.

The discount is small - 5 yen or less per trip regardless of distance, but it's still a discount.

http://www.seibubus.co.jp/taihihyo.pdf

http://ponkotuy.hatenablog.jp/entry/2016/05/31/045738
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:08 am

If you still need the risk-free convenience of a pass for daytrips and airport transfer, you always can get the Tokyo Wide Pass, which is available at major JR East stations. It gets you unlimited travel on JR East lines within Tokyo and much of the surrounding Kanto region, including the Narita Express, reserved ordinary seating on the Tohoku/Hokuriko shinkansen up to Nasushiobara/Sakudaira respectively, and even on special Tobu trains to Nikko.

Almost all worthwhile daytrips from Tokyo are doable with this pass and comfortably, too, except for those involving the southward-bound Tokaido shinkansens. At JPY10,000, it's still cheaper than what you'll be paying extra for a 21-day pass.

Best of all, you can forego the expense altogether if Tokyo sucks all your remaining time and budget.

Last edited by FlitBen; Feb 11, 2017 at 12:16 am
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platiunum, Ba Executive Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold Plus 5 Star
Rail pass or no rail pass

Hi all,

In march I will be in Japan for 7 nights. Thursday the 16th I will arrive in the morning by air at Osaka Kansai airport, but my hotel is near Karasuma station in Kyoto. So I will take the Haruka line to Kyoto and then the Karasuma line to Karasuma station.

I will stay in Kyoto for 4 nights/5 days. I am thinking of doing a day trip to Hiroshima and the remaining days I will stay in Kyoto. Maybe a quick visit to Kobe and/or Osaka is also on the agenda.

After Kyoto, I have to go to Tokyo for the remaining nights. My hotel is in Shinjuku, near the main train station. These days I will explore Tokyo.

I will need to get from Shinjuki to Narita airport on the last day. My flight will depart at 11:45am on the 23rd.

Question 1: Do I need an JR pass for this week or should I buy single tickets?
Question 2: If I should buy single tickets, should I go by air or with the shinkansen to Tokyo?

Thanks in advance!!^

Flyer1981
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That return to Hiroshima will make a 7day rail pass something to really consider.

If you plan on (only) shorter doing side trips from Kyoto there are the 1/2/3/4 day Kansai area pass (airport/Kyoto/Osaka and as far as Himeji) or the 5 day Kansai Wide Pass to consider.
Hyperdia is a great tool to determine prices for your intended trips.

Don't go by air, it takes too long with the travel to/from the airports.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you will do the round trip to Hiroshima and the one-way shinkansen to Tokyo, then the 7-day Rail Pass will definitely save you money. Exchange it immediately upon arrival at KIX and you can also use it to cover the cost of the Haruka to Kyoto. The subway from Kyoto Station to Karasuma Station is not JR so the Rail Pass won't help you there. Although it would cost a bit more, you might wish to consider a cab from Kyoto Station direct to your hotel. The area around Karasuma-Oike is pretty busy and can be a bit confusing until you get your feet on the ground.

Since the trip to NRT on the 23rd is the 8th day, you will not be able to use the Rail Pass for the Narita Express. Just pay separately for that trip.

From Kyoto, there are several nice day trips in addition to Hiroshima that could be covered by the Rail Pass. Himeji, Osaka, Hikone and Nara are all easy day trips.

I agree with the above. Use the shinkansen to get from Kyoto to Tokyo. Domestic air would be a hassle. Grab a bento lunch and a bottled drink at the station and enjoy dining on the train.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:34 pm

KIX-Kyoto via Haruka: 2850y
Kyoto-Hiroshima: 10570y
Hiroshima-Kyoto: 10570y
Kyoto-Tokyo: 13080y

At this point, JR Pass is already worth it.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Since you will be staying in Shinjuku and not all N'EXs go there, it may be handier (especially if you don't have much luggage and are traveling in the middle of the day) to take the Yamanote Line to Nippori and catch the Keisei Skyliner.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platiunum, Ba Executive Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold Plus 5 Star
Thank you all for the replies!! I will buy the JR Pass! ^

Also, those tips are very handy! I will look into that! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.