Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
If it's at all close, I think that just buying regular tickets makes more sense.
+1. If I'm doing a trip with my family that involves train ride between NRT and Osaka, I think I will not get the JR Pass.

Not being able to use Nozomi really sucks. I found it very difficult to get 3 or even 2 reserved seats together on Hikari throughout the last week of Dec, so most of the days were not even peak travel days. Hikari also seems to be a magnet for foreign tourists these days.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm right in assuming that the JR pass doesn't make much sense if you travel only once or twice on JR?
Answer is no. Even if you decide to stop over at every single Shinkansen (Bullet train) stations between Shin Osaka and Tokyo (there are actually 16 stations) fares for paying individually will be 22,510 yen total. 7 days regular car JR Pass is 29,110 yen.
I've amended my travel plans and it seems that the "Osaka-Tokyo Arch Pass" (this pass) is a great deal for me. Am I correct that the 7 day pass would cover:
  • Local JR trains in Kyoto (Day 1 of the pass)
  • Thunderbird service to Kanazawa (Day 2)
  • Hokuriku-Shinkansen to Tokyo ( Day three)
  • JR in Tokyo (day 4,5 & 6)
  • Narita Express on day 7

Am I correct in assuming that I can activate the pass at 10:00 in Kyoto on the first day and use it on a Narita Express after 18:00. Otherwise, I will activate it earlier, as I won't be needing it in Tokyo (except for the express).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You are better off buying tickets for the trips you will take.... trains in Tokyo and Kyoto are cheap, no use waisting a pass on those days.

You can easily find individual fares on Hyperdia. In general these 7 day passes only pay for themselves if you do Tokyo-Osaka return! They are valid for calender days.....
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:21 pm

I've amended my travel plans and it seems that the "Osaka-Tokyo Arch Pass" (this pass) is a great deal for me. Am I correct that the 7 day pass would cover:

Am I correct in assuming that I can activate the pass at 10:00 in Kyoto on the first day and use it on a Narita Express after 18:00. Otherwise, I will activate it earlier, as I won't be needing it in Tokyo (except for the express).
The pass is valid for seven consecutive calendar days from midnight to midnight. With your itinerary pass bought outside Japan just gets above break even but not by much. If NEX is not the best way to get to Narita for you, forget aboout the pass and buy individual tickets.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kallio
With your itinerary pass bought outside Japan just gets above break even but not by much.
I'm aware of that, but if I end up paying roughly as much for the pass and roughly as much for individual tickets, I prefer taking the pass (as I can potentially get additional trips for free).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
You can easily find individual fares on Hyperdia. In general these 7 day passes only pay for themselves if you do Tokyo-Osaka return! They are valid for calender days.....
That Hokuriku Arch Pass cost 24000 JPY purcased outside Japan. Kyoto-Kanazawa-Tokyo-Narita using Thunderbird, Shinkansen, and NEX is 24040 JPY.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

I assume your travel plan is Kansai Airport – Kyoto – Kanazawa – Tokyo – Narita Airport. Your travel from Kansai Airport – Tokyo portion in three days which means you can by single through base fare (乗車券) although you have to buy Express Surcharge (特急料金) separately for Kansai Airport – Kyoto, Kyoto – Kanazawa, and Kanazawa – Tokyo.

Due to length of validity of base fare () you have to buy entirely separate ticket for Tokyo – Narita Airport.

Kansaki Airport – (Kyoto) – (Kanazawa) – Tokyo:
Base Fare (乗車券): 11,020 yen

Kansai Airport – Kyoto:
Express Surcharge (特急料金): 1,290 yen

Kyoto – Kanazawa:
Express Surcharge (特急料金): 1,350 yen

Kanazawa Tokyo:
Shinkansen Express Surcharge (新幹線特急料金): 6,580 yen

Tokyo – Narita Airport:
Base Fare (乗車券): 1,320 yen
Express Surcharge (特急料金): 1,500 yen

Grand Total: 23,060 yen

Hokuriku Arch Pass bought outside of Japan is 24,000 yen. So during your stay at Tokyo you need to ride JR trains worth 940 yen to break even. If you buy Hokuriku Arch Pass in Japan then you need to ride JR train worth 1,940 yen at Tokyo to break even.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:18 pm

Grand Total: 23,060 yen

Hokuriku Arch Pass bought outside of Japan is 24,000 yen. So during your stay at Tokyo you need to ride JR trains worth 940 yen to break even. If you buy Hokuriku Arch Pass in Japan then you need to ride JR train worth 1,940 yen at Tokyo to break even.
I think you are leaving out reserved seat fees. Of course, that is strictly required only for NEX but the pass includes seat reservations so comparable fare is 24040 yen I mentioned.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:29 pm

I assume your travel plan is Kansai Airport – Kyoto – Kanazawa – Tokyo – Narita Airport.
No. I'm arriving in Kyoto from Osaka (not ITM) and won't need the rail pass before getting to Kyoto. I would activate it in Kyoto for the sake of not losing a day of my pass.

I was expecting 7k for the Thunderbird, 14k for the Shinkansen and 3k for the Narita Express, hence ending up +/- on the cost of that pass. I would however be able to use JR metal while in Tokyo as well.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Kallio
I think you are leaving out reserved seat fees. Of course, that is strictly required only for NEX but the pass includes seat reservations so comparable fare is 24040 yen I mentioned.
No, these are reserved seat 指定席特急料金. Also,特急料金 does vary depending on season. There are high season (繁忙期), regular season (通常期), and low season (閉散期). 特急料金 can vary by 200 yen depending on the season. Also, 乗車券 I have calculates through price since it allows stop over along the way.

No. I'm arriving in Kyoto from Osaka (not ITM) and won't need the rail pass before getting to Kyoto. I would activate it in Kyoto for the sake of not losing a day of my pass.

I was expecting 7k for the Thunderbird, 14k for the Shinkansen and 3k for the Narita Express, hence ending up +/- on the cost of that pass. I would however be able to use JR metal while in Tokyo as well.
Alright then, your total will be 19,980 yen if you buy tickets separately. Which means if you ride 4,020 yen worth of JR trains in Tokyo you will break even, if you buy a pass in outside of Japan. 5,020 yen worth of JR train ride in Tokyo to break even if you are going to buy a pass in Japan.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:10 pm

Alright then, your total will be 19,980 yen if you buy tickets separately.
I have checked everywhere now. Google Maps, JR West and multiple sites offering "Japan Rail Pass Calculators" say that I will pay 21,5k and 24k for the three tickets (Thunderbird to Kanazawa, Shinkansen to Tokyo, Narita Express to NRT).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:54 pm

I have checked everywhere now. Google Maps, JR West and multiple sites offering "Japan Rail Pass Calculators" say that I will pay 21,5k and 24k for the three tickets (Thunderbird to Kanazawa, Shinkansen to Tokyo, Narita Express to NRT).
Sorry, this is breakdown of your fare.

Your travel on JR will be Kyoto – Kanazawa – Tokyo – Narita Airport.

JR fares are consisted from two components. One is base fare (乗車券) and this is calculated by distance travel regardless of type of train you will ride. One rule of this base fare is that you can buy as one through ticket on Kyoto – (Kanazawa) – (Tokyo) – Narita Airport because base fare rule allows unlimited stop over for journey of 100 km or more as long as you do not reverse the direction of travel. For local commuter train rides, distance will be often less than 100 km so you will not be allowed to do stop over.

Kyoto – (Kanazawa) – (Tokyo) – Narita Airport is 754.5 km in distance, means base fare is valid for 5 day. However, your schedule is more than 5 days from departing Kyoto and arriving at Narita Airport. Which means you cannot use one through base fare ticket to travel from Kyoto – (Kanazawa) – (Tokyo) – Narita Airport. Base fare ticket needs to be divided into two segment of Kyoto – (Kanazawa) – Tokyo and Tokyo – Narita Airport.

Then your plan is to ride on Thunderbird express train on Kyoto – Kanazawa, Shinkansen (Bullet train) on Kanazawa – Tokyo, and let say you will take Narita Express on Tokyo – Narita Airport. Each train requires additional Express Train surcharge (特急料金) and here I am assuming you will have reserve seating.

Express Surcharge has transfer discount if you transfer to another express train in same day, but that is not your situation. Hence, you must purchase express Surcharge for individual trip you are taking.

Following is what you will pay if you buy tickets individually:

Kyoto – (Kanazawa) – Tokyo base fare: 9,830 yen
Tokyo - Narita Airport base fare: 1,320 yen

Kyoto – Kanazawa express surcharge: 1,350 yen
Kanazawa – Tokyo Shinkansen express surcharge: 6,580 yen
Tokyo – Narita Airport express surcharge: 1,500 yen

Grand Total: 20,580 yen

Google maps, Hyperdia etc. only consider sum of individual trips and does not follow fare rules of through ticketing, number of days specific ticket is valid, etc. For multi trip on JR have to know how fare and ticket rules work under that specific routing, and often still require looking up charts and calculating fares manually, not by using some websites.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA, NW
[QUOTE=WorldLux;27868772]I've amended my travel plans and it seems that the "Osaka-Tokyo Arch Pass" (this pass) is a great deal for me. Am I correct that the 7 day pass would cover:
[QUOTE]

Local JR trains within Kyoto won't get you very far. Nijo Castle and Arashiyama are the only major sightseeing spots they go to. Now, if you wanted to take JR trains to Nara and even Koya-san (it's circuitous, but it can be done), that would be a different story, but for travel within Kyoto for one day, a 24-hour bus card is your best option, because the buses do go to every major sightseeing destination.

Last edited by ksandness; Feb 8, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:39 am

Sorry, I made one mistake on fare rule, concerning going around via Kanazawa rather than going straight form Kyoto to Tokyo.

Long story short (I will not bore you with JR fare rules) the total you will pay by purchasing ticket individually will be 22,330 yen.

My bad...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:56 am

The Hokuriku pass isn't bad at all for the difference in price of a nice meal or two. At the minimum, you won't have to keep figuring out the ticket machines or booths except for seat reservations.

From Tokyo, you could use it to day trip back up the Arch to Karuizawa and other onsen areas using the same Hokuriku Shinkansen. It can also come in handy if you encounter issues at any point that might compel you to move around, or if you need to retrieve things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.