Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Thanks everyone. We're going to grab the 7 day JR pass for the second half of our trip and just get the Suica card for the time we're in Tokyo/Tokyo Disney.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jmj10
Thanks everyone. We're going to grab the 7 day JR pass for the second half of our trip and just get the Suica card for the time we're in Tokyo/Tokyo Disney.
If you haven't found it yet, HyperDia can help plan your rail trips. For local trains, just plug in the info. For shinkansen trips using the Rail Pass, be sure to open "More Options" and uncheck "Nozomi/Mizuho/Hayabusa" since those trains are not eligible for the 7-day Japan Rail Pass. Not to worry as the other shinkansens are nearly as fast and leave a couple times per hour in most cases.

HyperDia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan.
ksandness and pudgym29 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:41 pm

is JR train fare calculated by distance?

ueno->UTSUNOMIYA is > 100km, so I was going to do a daytime stopover at Oyama(TOCHIGI)... but it's cheaper to just purchase the two legs separately?

all results are on local trains, not shinkansen

ueno->UTSUNOMIYA - 1940 yen
HyperDia | SearchResult

ueno->Oyama(TOCHIGI) - 1320yen
HyperDia | SearchResult

Oyama(TOCHIGI) ->UTSUNOMIYA - 500yen
HyperDia | SearchResult

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 20, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Your stopover (according to your search results) is in OYAMA(TOCHIGI), not OMIYA(SAITAMA).
Buying a through ticket and requesting to break up the trip will typically save you money if you're taking Express trains because you don't pay two Express surcharges. But in this case, there *shouldn't* be a difference in the purely distance based fare.
I checked the fares in Jorudan and your sums appear to be correct - Jorudan confirms that it's actually 120 Yen cheaper to split the journey and buy separate fares. In fact, if you use your IC card (eg.. SUICA) to pay the fares, you will only pay 1317+496 = 1813, whereas the through fare is 1944 yen). I can't understand it. Perhaps JR has calculated the distances as 77km + 28km, rather than 77.2 + 28.9, resulting in a lower fare when you combine separate trips. But even if that's the case, I can't understand why the IC fare is 1944 to Utsunomiya rather than 1940.
I expect @AlwaysAisle will know the answer ...
paperwastage likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Your stopover (according to your search results) is in OYAMA(TOCHIGI), not OMIYA(SAITAMA).
Buying a through ticket and requesting to break up the trip will typically save you money if you're taking Express trains because you don't pay two Express surcharges. But in this case, there *shouldn't* be a difference in the purely distance based fare.
I checked the fares in Jorudan and your sums appear to be correct - Jorudan confirms that it's actually 120 Yen cheaper to split the journey and buy separate fares. In fact, if you use your IC card (eg.. SUICA) to pay the fares, you will only pay 1317+496 = 1813, whereas the through fare is 1944 yen). I can't understand it. Perhaps JR has calculated the distances as 77km + 28km, rather than 77.2 + 28.9, resulting in a lower fare when you combine separate trips. But even if that's the case, I can't understand why the IC fare is 1944 to Utsunomiya rather than 1940.
I expect @AlwaysAisle will know the answer ...
Whoops, I did mean oyama (as per my search results)

Rounding down makes some sense
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Exchange at Haneda or Shinagawa?

Would you recommend exchanging the voucher for the JR pass at Haneda or Shinagawa? I will be arriving on an international flight into Haneda around 3 PM in May, after Golden Week, and would like to travel onward to Kyoto or slightly further west (perhaps Kobe or Okayama) that evening. I have used the JR pass many times before, but have always done the exchange at KIX or NRT, both of which have been pretty busy with the increase in visitors over the past decade. I was hoping to bypass the tourist lines by doing the exchange in Shinagawa. According to Hyperdia, there is a 5:10 PM Hikari departure from Shinagawa. Do you think I would be able to make this connection?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by naeglerian
Would you recommend exchanging the voucher for the JR pass at Haneda or Shinagawa? I will be arriving on an international flight into Haneda around 3 PM in May, after Golden Week, and would like to travel onward to Kyoto or slightly further west (perhaps Kobe or Okayama) that evening. I have used the JR pass many times before, but have always done the exchange at KIX or NRT, both of which have been pretty busy with the increase in visitors over the past decade. I was hoping to bypass the tourist lines by doing the exchange in Shinagawa. According to Hyperdia, there is a 5:10 PM Hikari departure from Shinagawa. Do you think I would be able to make this connection?
"Around 3pm" is somewhat imprecise ... The connection should be do-able. Allowing an hour for you to get through customs and immigration, you should make it on to the 4:04pm Keikyu train (Keikyu Main/Airport Line Rapid Ltd. Exp. for AOTO), which gets you to Shinagawa at 4:17pm, with 50 minutes to exchange your pass and catch your train. There are three locations for exchanging rail passes at Shinagawa. I would suggest going for the last one that you reach - the JR Tokai ticket office, and do the reservation for the train there too.
JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices | JAPAN RAIL PASS
You'll be coming from the Keikyu station at the top of this plan and walking to the bottom (North is at the bottom):
•iì‰wb‚i‚q“ŒŠC

The cheapest way to do it would be to go to the Monorail station at HND and exchange the pass there. Then you could use your pass to ride the monorail to Hamamatsucho, and the JR Yamanote Line to Shinagawa. Despite the less direct routing, this is also a do-able connection. (My advice is to stand at the end of the platform closest to the ticket gate - that puts you in the rear-most car of the monorail - and that positions you to take the back stairway at Hamamatsucho). In a sense, this approach would give you a second "bite at the cherry," in terms of avoiding long queues - You can assess the situation at Haneda and get the pass there or pay your fare to Shinagawa and do it there.

I'd probably take the Keikyu line ...
LapLap and pudgym29 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:11 pm

Delete - Double posted
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Thank you very much! I am supposed to be arriving exactly at 3 PM. For the sake of simplicity, I think I will take the Keikyu route, as I will have one larger suitcase, and would want to minimize transfers. Thanks again.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:00 pm

Can you pre book seat reservations in the USA if you already have the pass - using eki-net.com?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by chuck1
Can you pre book seat reservations in the USA if you already have the pass - using eki-net.com?
In general, no. We've seen reports that there may be a way but it really isn't worth the trouble. Seat reservations with a Rail Pass are so easy at virtually any station that I wouldn't waste the time.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
In general, no. We've seen reports that there may be a way but it really isn't worth the trouble. Seat reservations with a Rail Pass are so easy at virtually any station that I wouldn't waste the time.
True, as far as I know, the only operator that allows advance reservation is JR East. Even then, you still have to pick up your reservation in person no later than the day before, which means you cannot do this for a Narita Express reservation for your arrival, where it would be most useful. It's way more complex than it needs to be but if you'd like to know more, take a look at

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/reservation.html

Note that JR East does NOT run the shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka so you cannot pre-reserve the most important single route.
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just got back from my Japan trip. Word to the wise, treat your Rail Pass like it's a passport. I lost my 7 day green pass 3 days in. It can't be replaced and it's such a hassle (and irritating due to the added costs) to have to purchase my tickets while my wife had it easy.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Monkified
Just got back from my Japan trip. Word to the wise, treat your Rail Pass like it's a passport. I lost my 7 day green pass 3 days in. It can't be replaced and it's such a hassle (and irritating due to the added costs) to have to purchase my tickets while my wife had it easy.
i put mine (along with any seat reservation tickets, storage locker receipts) in a clear plastic ziploc pouch

always goes into my zipped coat pocket after use
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
i put mine (along with any seat reservation tickets, storage locker receipts) in a clear plastic ziploc pouch

always goes into my zipped coat pocket after use
I did something similar with a JR East pass just a few years ago. Alas, I lost the jacket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.