Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap

I did something similar with a JR East pass just a few years ago. Alas, I lost the jacket.
Awwwwwww!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Making rail pass reservations at Shinjuku JR east travel center

i will be arriving Narita and getting my pass validated before taking the Narita express to Shinjuku to stay at the Hilton.ede

The last time I went to Japan the JR east office at Narita only would process same day reservations. So I had to make a separate trip to Tokyo station to get reservations for the remaining segments of my trip. The staff there did a fine job processing reservations for the entire week.

I will have a similar complicated itinerary with multiple trains per day since I like riding trains. Will the staff at shinjuku be able to do this or should I go to Tokyo station again. Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by steve4031
i will be arriving Narita and getting my pass validated before taking the Narita express to Shinjuku to stay at the Hilton.ede

The last time I went to Japan the JR east office at Narita only would process same day reservations. So I had to make a separate trip to Tokyo station to get reservations for the remaining segments of my trip. The staff there did a fine job processing reservations for the entire week.

I will have a similar complicated itinerary with multiple trains per day since I like riding trains. Will the staff at shinjuku be able to do this or should I go to Tokyo station again. Thanks.
While there're only a few stations in Tokyo area where you can exchange your voucher for the pass, you can make train seat reservations at any JR ticket office which you will find at most any JR train station in/around Tokyo (Shinjuku station alone has multiple locations). You don't have to go to Tokyo station for that.

NRT and KIX airport locations were the only places where I've ever had the employee tell me they won't help with more than a certain number of bookings. I suppose that, if Shinjuku JR office is super busy or understaffed, then they might try to cut things short rather than help you with the entire trip. But I've just never had that experience outside of airport locations. With regards to your experience at NRT, though, while I understand them wanting to limit the time spent on each customer in order to keep the line moving, I'm still surprised to hear that they would only help you with tickets for that day. When I'm at NRT/KIX, I try to get them to book as many as possible before they start raising a fuss. Usually they will help you with travel for that day and the day after, or up to 3 trains or so.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:43 am

Im assuming last week of June will be busy

of course I will ask for as many possible at NRT. On my last trip I tried for my first day trip our of Tokyo and was told no. But that one day involved 3 trains.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
Any JR "Midori-no-madoguchi" office (the one with the green four-leafed clover) can process reservations for any JR train (and JR Highway Bus) in the country. They're all on one computerized system.

I don't recall the location of the Midori-no-madoguchi office in Shinjuku Station, but it is sure to be large and perfectly capable of making all your reservations.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:38 pm

Thank you

Originally Posted by ksandness
Any JR "Midori-no-madoguchi" office (the one with the green four-leafed clover) can process reservations for any JR train (and JR Highway Bus) in the country. They're all on one computerized system.

I don't recall the location of the Midori-no-madoguchi office in Shinjuku Station, but it is sure to be large and perfectly capable of making all your reservations.
I can look at the Shinjuku station map. An interesting note on this map. It is upside down with South being at the top. It was confusing for me to look at for a moment. But i finally figured out what was going on.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
An interesting note on this map. It is upside down with South being at the top.
For your trip to Japan, you should do whatever you can to disabuse yourself of the assumption that any map will be oriented with North at the top. If you make this assumption, you will be wrong, 359 times out of 360. It's also hopeless to expect to find a compass rose on a map. Unfortunately, I was raised on a diet of admiralty charts and ordinance survey maps, so I just can't rid myself of this assumption.

Wayfinding maps on street corners etc. are typically oriented so that the top of the map corresponds to the direction that you're facing when reading the map. I have yet to find the trick to guessing where north is for maps on business cards, flyers etc.

If you hand a map to.a taxi driver, you can expect him (it's usually "him") to spend a few minutes rotating it every which way, while sucking his teeth. To keep my blood pressure down, I tell myself that this is for the best - The apparent fact that map-reading hasn't been part of the curriculum for several decades is an indication that Japan abandoned expansionary ambitions.
LapLap and pudgym29 like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:38 pm

Oh that’s what it is.

Now that I think about it the Tokyo station map is similar in that north is not at the top. Kirchhoff east is at the top of that map.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worth learning the kanji for North, East, South & West: 北東南西
East is easy 東, it's the same East as the Tō in Tokyo (the sun behind a tree).
South is easy too 南 the symbol for yen in a hut with a cross on the top (money in a church).

You only have to figure out how to memorise the other two.

North for me, is two fingers on a chord then a bow with an arrow.
West 西 is sake that has run dry (酒 bottom has gone and so have the splashes). West looks like a bottle of Chanel perfume to me; a luxury of the West.

Useful in China as well.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:22 am

thank you. I have picked out some landmarks

in Shinjuku I know I need to follow the signs for the Keio department store. When I get I get outside I think I’m good.

Another question: how busy is the last week of June for green class on the Shinkansen?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:37 am

Another question: how busy is the last week of June for green class on the Shinkansen?
End of June is generally not a peak travel time. That said, micro-peaks can arise when there's a specific event that a lot of people area heading toward, or if you hit the end of the working week when business travellers head home. Depending on which Shinkansen line you're talking about, the peak times may vary. For Osaka-Tokyo, you should be wary of end-of-week commute peaks. At those "micro peak" moments, you see the seat availability icons on screens at the ticket office change from circles to triangles or crosses. Even then, it's usually possible to purchase a Green car seat right up until the time of departure.
https://zoomingjapan.com/travel/peak...ason-in-japan/
Old May 8, 2018, 12:25 am

Thank you

as always the people on flyer talk are very by.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:31 pm

Nagoya (Chubu Centrair) Airport - Exchange JR Voucher

I noticed that the Nagoya airport has a travel service center that opened in late 2015. It sounds like one of the services they offer is to exchange your voucher for a JR Pass.

Since this center is not actually operated by JR, has anyone had any issues with doing the exchange here? I could also do it at Nagoya Station but it might be convenient at the airport.

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by prkzoom
I noticed that the Nagoya airport has a travel service center that opened in late 2015. It sounds like one of the services they offer is to exchange your voucher for a JR Pass.
Yes. It is listed on the Japan Rail Pass website as one of the JR Pass exchange offices.
JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices | JAPAN RAIL PASS
Old May 9, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. It is listed on the Japan Rail Pass website as one of the JR Pass exchange offices.
JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices JAPAN RAIL PASS
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.