Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Guys, im leaving tokyo, then heading Kyoto, Osaka and maybe a day trip or 2 to Kobe or someplace near Osaka. Should I buy the 7 day pass? Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by EZETravel
Guys, im leaving tokyo, then heading Kyoto, Osaka and maybe a day trip or 2 to Kobe or someplace near Osaka. Should I buy the 7 day pass? Thanks!
Will you be returning to Tokyo within 7 days? If so, then most likely yes.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
I will be purchasing a 14 day JR pass for our trip in May for three adults. I understand that I need to reserve seats in advance if I buy the Green Car JR Pass. Will I be able to reserve seats for the other two people at the station with them not present?

I have worked out our train schedule itinerary on Hyperdia. In order to save time, will I be able to reserve all of the seats within the 14 day time period at the beginning of our trip at the first station?

We are starting the pass at Odawara Station, then traveling to Takayama-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Osaka.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Southdown13
I will be purchasing a 14 day JR pass for our trip in May for three adults. I understand that I need to reserve seats in advance if I buy the Green Car JR Pass. Will I be able to reserve seats for the other two people at the station with them not present?

I have worked out our train schedule itinerary on Hyperdia. In order to save time, will I be able to reserve all of the seats within the 14 day time period at the beginning of our trip at the first station?

We are starting the pass at Odawara Station, then traveling to Takayama-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Osaka.
If that is all the long distance train travel you are going to make, 14 day pass may not pay off. If it close call, ability to use Nozomis would tip the scales to buying individual tickets for me. Especially between Kyoto and Hiroshima ability to use Nozomis do add some real value.

Anyways, when you exchange pass, everybody must be present and show their passports as well. You can reserve seats once you have exchanged passes, even if you have specified future starting date. However, some exchange offices won't make seat reservations more than for immediate need because there are others waiting in line, but then you can just go to any JR ticket window and make rest of the reservations. When just reserving seats your companions do not have to be present but you'll need to show their passes.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Question re reserving NEX tickets to Narita with JR Pass...

Hi Flyertalkers,

In the midst of planning a business trip out to Japan and wondering the best way to get to Narita Airport with the JR Pass.

I understand the train requires reservations and these can be done online, though these need to be collected before 9pm the evening before. And that's causing me a minor headache...

Present itinerary is a bit complex - fly into Osaka, then Bullet to Hiroshima for 2 days, then up to Tokyo for one night, back to Osaka via Kyoto for a night, then back to Shinagawa (late evening, arriving after 9pm), ready to depart Narita mid-morning the following day.

How far in advance can I book my return trip on the NEX using the online system? Can I do this before I pass thru Tokyo mid-trip (ideally before I depart the UK?) and collect it a few days in advance, or just book the trip at the ticket office as I pass through?

My understanding is I cannot book the NEX as soon as I arrive at Osaka and book my other rail trips, as this is "out of region" and not straightforward?

Thoughts on my best option would be appreciated...

ps: How easy is booking trips at the ticket office as a non-Japanese speaker? Sure they must be very used to dealing with this, but do I just take along a printout of the trains I'd like to travel on, and smile politely?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kallio
If that is all the long distance train travel you are going to make, 14 day pass may not pay off. If it close call, ability to use Nozomis would tip the scales to buying individual tickets for me. Especially between Kyoto and Hiroshima ability to use Nozomis do add some real value.

Anyways, when you exchange pass, everybody must be present and show their passports as well. You can reserve seats once you have exchanged passes, even if you have specified future starting date. However, some exchange offices won't make seat reservations more than for immediate need because there are others waiting in line, but then you can just go to any JR ticket window and make rest of the reservations. When just reserving seats your companions do not have to be present but you'll need to show their passes.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. We are going on a few side trips to Miyajima and Onomichi. Using the JR fare calculator, we are saving a little bit, so I figured it will be more convenient to have a pass.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Kallio
Especially between Kyoto and Hiroshima ability to use Nozomis do add some real value.
What's the real value? It runs through without having to switch trains?

FWIW, from Shin-Osaka, the Sakura is pretty much as quick as the Nozomi (88 minutes vs 81-86 for the Nozomi), and for those (likely: most) railpass holders who don't spring for the Green Car pass, the reserved seating on the Sakura is preferable (2x2 vs 2x3 on the Nozomi). Even from Kyoto, a "through" Nozomi will take around 100 minutes to Hiroshima, while a Hikari-Sakura transfer can add as little as 10 minutes.

Without a Green Car pass, I'd pick the Sakura any day over a Nozomi.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can buy your ticket at any JR ticket window up to 30 days in advance. You should have no problem buying the N'Ex ticket at the JR ticket window at KIX on arrival even given that it is a "different" JR company than JR east, which operates the Narita Express. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong on this, but I've never had a problem.

There is no JR station at ITM should you arrive there instead of KIX. In that case, when you get to somewhere that has a JR station, buy the N'Ex ticket at a ticket window.

JR agents are well-trained but I have found it helpful to have the train you want to reserve written down on a piece of paper to show to them.

I wouldn't bother with the clumsy and cumbersome JR east online reservation system.

This trip seems perfect for a JR pass. Or I guess you can fly the longer distances, like Hiroshima to Haneda. Hiroshima to Tokyo does take a while on the Hikari, probably about 5 hours all in.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 7, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:05 pm

The large JR ticket office at Kyoto Station would seem ideal for this. It is staffed by English speakers who are very experienced in dealing with JR Pass holders. I agree with Richard's suggestion to have the train info, including date, written down to show the agent. I speak basic Japanese but still always have this information printed out in advance for all my rail connections, just as a matter of good planning. Even the agents who have no difficulty understanding me seem to appreciate it and the seat reservation process always goes faster and more smoothly.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpdx
Without a Green Car pass, I'd pick the Sakura any day over a Nozomi.
Exactly... fabulous train.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Will you be returning to Tokyo within 7 days? If so, then most likely yes.
No. Flying from KIX.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by EZETravel
No. Flying from KIX.
Then no, the 7-day Rail Pass would not pay for itself unless your day trips include some fairly long runs like to/from Hiroshima. For closer-in day trips from Kyoto, the excellent regional passes would fit your need better and can be purchased in Kyoto, after you arrive in Japan.

http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum
Thoughts on how crowded trains will be in the first 2 weeks of April?

I'm debating the Regular vs Green JR Pass, and the biggest factor to me is if the trains will be busy enough that the potentially higher availability of seats with the Green pass is worth it.

Last edited by MD88traveler; Mar 9, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by MD88traveler
Thoughts on how crowded trains will be in the first 2 weeks of April?

I'm debating the Regular vs Green JR Pass, and the biggest factor to me is if the trains will be busy enough that the the potentially higher availability of seats with the Green pass is worth it.
I was there in a beginning of April with seven day ordinary pass and did quite a few train journeys. There were two of us and I reserved seats 0-2 days in advance and only once we didn't get adjacent seats. I think that had more to do with that it was Friday morning train and passengers seemed mostly be traveling for business. In certain areas we saw lots of (mostly Chinese) tourists but not that much that thy would have filled up trains. Hotels and other accommodations were little different matter.

I've understood that cherry blossom time is not peak travel time for Japanese, as there are no public holidays then. They just enjoy it where they live and don't fill up trains as they do in New Year and Golden Week holidays and such.

If you don't need comfort and quietness of green class, I think you'll do fine with ordinary pass. Just make seat reservations day or two in advance if you want to be sure to take certain train.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Since one can now purchase the JR Pass at designated stations in Japan, you could make your decision about Green vs. Regular class when you arrive in Japan and can use up-to-date information on seat availability to inform your choice.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html

That will be a more complex discussion than simply "Here's my exchange voucher for a Green pass." In particular, the folks at the crowded Narita office may be rather busy if everyone wants to discuss the merits of Green with them... but ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.