Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Much better than anticipated. Did you happen to inquire about availability of harder booze, i.e. whisky?
I did not specifically ask, I was not offered, and I saw no one else having it. Though the abundance of Schweppes tonic water would make you think someone could pour a gin....
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I did not specifically ask, I was not offered, and I saw no one else having it. Though the abundance of Schweppes tonic water would make you think someone could pour a gin....
Exactly what I was thinking when you mentioned it. Unlike soda water, I don't know too many people who'd drink tonic without gin or vodka.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
There is a new waiver that cover ALL JAL flights. Free change and cancelation for international flights departing between Feb 28 2020 and Mar 19 2020 (same as the domestic flight waiver earlier), Flights to/from mainland China and Hong Kong still have the boarder waiver that cover flights between Jan 24 and Apr 20 2020.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202..._02/index.html
aktchi and nort like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I am ticketed to travel ORD-DOH-DEL (QR) in early April, and returning DEL-HND-ORD (JL) in April 3rd week. Separate tickets.

Not really concerned about DOH/QR, or even HND/JL (just a connection, not getting out), but this was to be a non-essential "fun" trip which it probably won't be due to all the precautions, not going into markets, no side-trips, etc. Heck, looks like even lounges are no fun.

So, thinking of canceling. Needless to say I probably won't be an AA EXP (Emerald) next year.

QR is an award and easily canceled. I hope a JL waiver would kick in as April approaches.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
I am ticketed to travel ORD-DOH-DEL (QR) in early April, and returning DEL-HND-ORD (JL) in April 3rd week. Separate tickets.

Not really concerned about DOH/QR, or even HND/JL (just a connection, not getting out), but this was to be a non-essential "fun" trip which it probably won't be due to all the precautions, not going into markets, no side-trips, etc. Heck, looks like even lounges are no fun.

So, thinking of canceling. Needless to say I probably won't be an AA EXP (Emerald) next year.

QR is an award and easily canceled. I hope a JL waiver would kick in as April approaches.
JAL will only extend if situation is still not under control. So for you to hope waiver would cover your ticket is just the same as hoping there's an outbreak in Japan, India, or the US
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL will only extend if situation is still not under control. So for you to hope waiver would cover your ticket is just the same as hoping there's an outbreak in Japan, India, or the US
I am mainly canceling as I can see that an India trip that was meant to be just "fun" is not likely to turn out that way. I had no other purpose in going. I can sit safely at home and keep washing hands right here; no need to spend money for that.

If necessary I will cancel and pay the applicable charges. However, JL already has a waiver till March 19. While I am not praying for a virus breakout, it has happened and is also unlikely to be gone on March 20. There is also no advantage in cancelling early, so I am inclined to wait just in case the waiver will be extended.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: Free agent
There is a new waiver that cover ALL JAL flights. Free change and cancelation for international flights departing between Feb 28 2020 and Mar 19 2020 (same as the domestic flight waiver earlier), Flights to/from mainland China and Hong Kong still have the boarder waiver that cover flights between Jan 24 and Apr 20 2020.

Does anyone know how this works if you have a half used ticket? We’re on the back end of a RGN-US-RGN ticket, paid about $2,200 each for the RT. If it goes back to fare rules the ticket won’t have any value.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold

I have a flight from LAX - NRT - CGK during this dates. Hope they refund without cancellation fees.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by jmail1
Does anyone know how this works if you have a half used ticket? We’re on the back end of a RGN-US-RGN ticket, paid about $2,200 each for the RT. If it goes back to fare rules the ticket won’t have any value.
only way is to call and ask.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nort
I have a flight from LAX - NRT - CGK during this dates. Hope they refund without cancellation fees.
The text in the link is pretty clear, so as long as your ticket falls in to the mentioned buckets, they will.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
only way is to call and ask.
I'll report back, a ticket was put in with JAL via AMEX travel to calculate it, which troubles me because of the usual one-way nature of calculations.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AA - EXP
When I called, they said transit through japan did not count. Jfk-nrt-tpe rt. No waiver. Might need a huca. If I can handle another hour wait on hold.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by tbd1579
When I called, they said transit through japan did not count. Jfk-nrt-tpe rt. No waiver. Might need a huca. If I can handle another hour wait on hold.
Strange, I called AMEX travel this morning to cancel the same booking and she confirmed that it met the new waiver criteria.
aktchi likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by travel214
Strange, I called AMEX travel this morning to cancel the same booking and she confirmed that it met the new waiver criteria.
because the waiver Amex received clearly indicates it covers flight to, from, and via japan

http://www.jalagency.com/28FEB20R1_WI9047.pdf
travel214 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nort
Called JAL US number this afternoon. They answered after 2 hours on hold, and they cancelled it without any trouble. Full refund will be issued to credit card, no fees deducted.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The text in the link is pretty clear, so as long as your ticket falls in to the mentioned buckets, they will.
Yes, it worked out.

Originally Posted by tbd1579
Mine was transit through NRT on the outbound, and transiting with a NRT - HND airport change on the return. So, I'll be passing through immigration, hence visiting Japan on the return, though for only 10 hours. They cancelled it without a trouble, and didn't mention anything traveling through Japan or NRT-HND. They just mentioned that my booking meets the waiver criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.