Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:47 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
unfortunately JAL isn't focusing on increasing the number of elites. JAL wants to reduce the number.
Hence the reduced FOP campaigns (2x -> 1.5x, No new destination double FOP =Bengaluru, Vladivostok etc. and reduced earnings on domestic legs of international tickets from 2021).
So, you better scramble for alternative ways to make/keep JGP/Diamond this year. Many are in your situation, and many have anticipated that the Olympics would make summer/autumn travel too expensive, so many have planned around those events. Expect autumn/winter to get really expensive going on....
I have already focused on KUL/SIN/ISG touch tickets, and booked myself to requalify for the year. But now, I have NRT-PUS this weekend...and are monitoring the virus situation closely...
If I were you, and were based in Asia, the easiest way is to invest in KUL-SIN-HND-ISG returns in one month, coupled with the 1.5x FOP month, and you will easily make JGP with only 4 weekend trips.
(18,970 FOP/trip at 3,900 MYR/880 USD/97,000JPY per trip for a FOP rate of less than 5usCPM /5yenPM).
But this is not the topic of the thread. Back to coronavirus...
Yes I’m aware that JAL is probably trying to cull the elite no, but there must be a line when too much loss will do them more harm than good. Given that so many companies are already applying blanket ban on travel for the foreseeable future, here we are talking about business travelers who are not price sensitive, not milage runners looking to maximize FOP for their buck.

I wonder how many road warriors are willing to do mileage run on their own money at least for now. 100-150k yen, maybe, but I personally don’t think I will be willing to spend nearly 400k yen and 4 days to do 4x return trip just to requalify for JGP. Most of my FOP comes from business trip which are now all cancelled - I have had to cancel 1 biz trip to India and 2 domestic trips so far this month. And my company now requires employees to report their personal travel too, with possible 14 days required quarantine upon returning which of course will discourage most people from traveling, even personally.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Yes I’m aware that JAL is probably trying to cull the elite no, but there must be a line when too much loss will do them more harm than good. Given that so many companies are already applying blanket ban on travel for the foreseeable future, here we are talking about business travelers who are not price sensitive, not milage runners looking to maximize FOP for their buck.

I wonder how many road warriors are willing to do mileage run on their own money at least for now. 100-150k yen, maybe, but I personally don’t think I will be willing to spend nearly 400k yen and 4 days to do 4x return trip just to requalify for JGP. Most of my FOP comes from business trip which are now all cancelled - I have had to cancel 1 biz trip to India and 2 domestic trips so far this month. And my company now requires employees to report their personal travel too, with possible 14 days required quarantine upon returning which of course will discourage most people from traveling, even personally.
That's a pretty stringent set of rules, I guess it depends on how broadly that 14 day quarantine cover. I know we are not allowed to enter the offices after trips to China, but there is no general requirement to report in private travel. Yet.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Feb 26, 2020 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's a pretty stringent set of rules, I guess it depends on how broadly that 14 day quarantine cover.i know we are not allowed to the offices are trips to China, but there is no general requirement to report in private travel.
I'm in the "all business trips abroad have been cancelled" camp, but my company is asking us to report private overseas travel. We're supposed to be hosting several overseas companies in April for a conference, but I have a feeling that might get cancelled too. Private overseas travel is currently strongly discouraged, but if one insists, it's to be reported to our higher ups.

I haven't had the privilege of being able to qualify at JGP or higher, so I'm happy just to be slumming it in JGC Crystal next year, personally.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Just cancelled my trip to Busan this weekend. Seems Korea is getting on the coronaban list soon. (Daegu is the trigger, and more will likely follow).
Of course, MR to keep status is for a select few.
Biz trips cut definitel mean elite requalification for many will be in jeopardy.
Maybe JAL will offer something to the long term Diamonds, but as it is, the JGC card and Sapphire is the fall-back option for many.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Anyone been in the lounge NRT or HND since the change this week?

curious what's happened wirh food and beverage/liquor? Especially in the NRT F lounge.

will be pretty disappointing if the AA or QF lounge become the most appealing ones during this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JAL has updated the lounge service modification language

【International Lounge in Japan】individual meal /packaging service or service provided by staff in order to ensure that customers can receive the service with peace of mind.

【Domestic Lounge】 we will provide packaging meal service.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Originally Posted by JALPak
Lounge service in japan has changed. Guess no more buffet style catering
Interesting. I was just at the Sakura lounge at NRT 23feb and it was still buffet style.

Last edited by TWAforever; Feb 27, 2020 at 7:35 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TWAforever
Interesting. I was just at the Sakura lounge at NRT 23feb and it was still buffet style.
the change was announced on feb 25
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
JAL has updated the lounge service modification language
I'll be interesting to hear how this is in practice. I won't see myself until next week. I have a KE flight Wednesday in C from HND, so usually would be the Sakura Skyview, but as that's currently being used as the JL F / OWE lounge (and shockingly crowded), then I would not be surprised if KE isn't currently relegated to the Sky Lounge instead. Then I have a JL flight from NRT Thursday night where I'll have a look in the F lounge. Though if it's limited service as the website leads to believe I'll just head off to the CX, QF, or AA lounges. If the availability of food and booze is the same or similar, but must be served by staff, that's fine, but if we're suddenly only able to get plastic wrapped stuff with strange (to western tastes) ingredients like in Lawson's and Family Mart then no thanks.

I was curious if anyone here has had international flights yet out of NRT/HND since the 25th to give a first hand rundown. I suppose this could be a new thread, though it's Corona related, it's also going to affect a lot more people than the Wuhan waiver where this thread started.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'll be interesting to hear how this is in practice. I won't see myself until next week. I have a KE flight Wednesday in C from HND, so usually would be the Sakura Skyview, but as that's currently being used as the JL F / OWE lounge (and shockingly crowded), then I would not be surprised if KE isn't currently relegated to the Sky Lounge instead. Then I have a JL flight from NRT Thursday night where I'll have a look in the F lounge. Though if it's limited service as the website leads to believe I'll just head off to the CX, QF, or AA lounges. If the availability of food and booze is the same or similar, but must be served by staff, that's fine, but if we're suddenly only able to get plastic wrapped stuff with strange (to western tastes) ingredients like in Lawson's and Family Mart then no thanks.

I was curious if anyone here has had international flights yet out of NRT/HND since the 25th to give a first hand rundown. I suppose this could be a new thread, though it's Corona related, it's also going to affect a lot more people than the Wuhan waiver where this thread started.
I will have a Haneda flight tonight.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I will have a Haneda flight tonight.
and we had a report from HND already so you should be prepared. NRT has JAL's Table which should be much better under the circumstances.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and we had a report from HND already so you should be prepared. NRT has JAL's Table which should be much better under the circumstances.
I'll offer pictures of the wrapped delicacies....

NRT timing did not suit my needs.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Anyone been in the lounge NRT or HND since the change this week?

curious what's happened wirh food and beverage/liquor? Especially in the NRT F lounge.

will be pretty disappointing if the AA or QF lounge become the most appealing ones during this.
There was no self-serve alcohol (except beer) in Sakura HND on Feb 26 FWIW
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by RandomPro
There was no self-serve alcohol (except beer) in Sakura HND on Feb 26 FWIW
So does that mean the alcohol was still available but staff poured it or there was no alcohol available at all?

Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by packerscoys
So does that mean the alcohol was still available but staff poured it or there was no alcohol available at all?

Thank you
There were not bottles of alcohol visible anywhere - I was too distressed by the lack of curry to ask if scotch was available. I did not see anyone in the lounge drinking anything other than coffee/tea, bottled sparkling water, or beer from the machine.

Curiously, the KE lounge at Gimpo (which JAL uses) had self-serve hot food (this was the morning of 2/26, so ymmv). I ate stir fried chicken and fried rice for breakfast. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.