Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:24 pm
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SBA
Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Posts: 1,134
Originally Posted by JALPak
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/2020/i..._02/index.html

Here’s the waiver you have been waiting for. It covers mainland China and HKG. Tickets can be canceled or changed once without fee
I just called JAL and asked to process a refund for the canceling ($500) fee. It sounded I had to call to ask a refund.
MrJBoy is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:47 am
  #17  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,421
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is zero medical reason to make staff in Japan wear masks. But I guess it it is one of those we have to pretend to do something actions.
they no longer have that mandate and just allow them to wear the masks
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:02 pm
  #18  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,421
JL updates the service changes again, now it says
As a precautionary measure, cabin crew will wear face masks on international and domestic flights
JALPak is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:18 am
  #19  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,421
JAL cancels/reduce flights on mainland China routes till end of March 2020

https://www.jal.co.jp/info/2020/inter/200204/index.html
JALPak is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:13 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 18,562
Any reports of any reductions in onboard service in F on flights to the USA? Do you think the crew wearing masks would materially detract from the F experience?

Thanks!
PresRDC is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:48 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 21,396
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Any reports of any reductions in onboard service in F on flights to the USA? Do you think the crew wearing masks would materially detract from the F experience?

Thanks!
There has been no service reductions announced, so I would expect there to be none.

JAL allows the crew members to wear masks, but don't make it mandatory. I flew ANA domestic on Saturday, the crews were wearing masks in the airport, and during boarding preparations, but once airborne, I did not see any masks. But after Saturday, I can give you a more definitive answer. Based on one flight albeit.

If a cabin crew member should feel more at ease wearing a mask, I don't see why that should detract from the F experience. That being said, the necessity of wearing the mask would be basically zero.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:26 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Posts: 244
I have a ticket with JAL from BOS to Beijing, China in March. Just called my agent to find out my options because my original NRT-PEK flight is now cancelled until the end of March. JAL put me on HND - PEK, but the dates are all messed up with my reservation, no way I am arriving NRT at 4 PM and trying to catch a flight leaves at 9 am from HND on the same day....not sure if it was human error by JAL or system error. Now when I view my reservation on the JAL Website, all I get is error messages and a message to call my booking agent.

waiting for my agent to get back to me on the refund or else...

how long does it take JAL to refund to credit card? I have two tickets now pending refund by JAL .... don't want to wait too long.
350zrx330 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:10 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Posts: 708
Question as a relative newbie (to JAL, at least): what are the odds – if any – that they'd be willing to either allow a change of dates for a ticket from JFK-NRT-TPE (with no change fees or - dare I say? - fare changes), or simply cancel the ticket and offer a refund? I'm scheduled to fly to TPE on Monday. I've seen various comments in this thread about $400 change fees & $500 refund charges: can any ticket be refunded for $500, or only certain fare classes? And is it limited to flights to mainland China/HK or applicable to all?

I realize Taiwan and mainland China obviously have ample drama going on, and Taiwan thus hasn't seen many coronavirus cases, but seeing as I was planning on traveling from Taipei to Shanghai, I could really use a rescheduling, preferably without charge. Any insight on how to go about getting any of the above would be much appreciated!
kirker is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:28 pm
  #24  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,421
Originally Posted by kirker
Question as a relative newbie (to JAL, at least): what are the odds – if any – that they'd be willing to either allow a change of dates for a ticket from JFK-NRT-TPE (with no change fees or - dare I say? - fare changes), or simply cancel the ticket and offer a refund? I'm scheduled to fly to TPE on Monday. I've seen various comments in this thread about $400 change fees & $500 refund charges: can any ticket be refunded for $500, or only certain fare classes? And is it limited to flights to mainland China/HK or applicable to all?

I realize Taiwan and mainland China obviously have ample drama going on, and Taiwan thus hasn't seen many coronavirus cases, but seeing as I was planning on traveling from Taipei to Shanghai, I could really use a rescheduling, preferably without charge. Any insight on how to go about getting any of the above would be much appreciated!
Current waiver does not cover Taiwan so your refund/ticket change penalty will be based on the fare rules. And if you are ticketed via a third party, their penalty and policy would be applied on top of JAL's.

Why don't you just cancel your separate ticket to SHA and just enjoy your time in TPE. Unless you only booked your TPE-SHA ticket recently, there's most likely a waiver that would allow you to cancel your TPE-SHA ticket free of charge.
JALPak is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:08 am
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 18,562
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There has been no service reductions announced, so I would expect there to be none.

JAL allows the crew members to wear masks, but don't make it mandatory. I flew ANA domestic on Saturday, the crews were wearing masks in the airport, and during boarding preparations, but once airborne, I did not see any masks. But after Saturday, I can give you a more definitive answer. Based on one flight albeit.

If a cabin crew member should feel more at ease wearing a mask, I don't see why that should detract from the F experience. That being said, the necessity of wearing the mask would be basically zero.
Thanks! Thinking more about it, by the time I fly on JAL, I'll have been in region around people wearing masks for a week or so. So, by that time, it really won't feel abnormal to me.
PresRDC is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:20 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by JALPak
Current waiver does not cover Taiwan so your refund/ticket change penalty will be based on the fare rules. And if you are ticketed via a third party, their penalty and policy would be applied on top of JAL's.

Why don't you just cancel your separate ticket to SHA and just enjoy your time in TPE. Unless you only booked your TPE-SHA ticket recently, there's most likely a waiver that would allow you to cancel your TPE-SHA ticket free of charge.
I booked through JAL, and much as I'd love to simply hang out and "enjoy" Taipei, unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth for what would be an unscheduled 10-day holiday! My separate Shanghai ticket was cheap, so I'm not particularly concerned about it.
kirker is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:21 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Posts: 244
HI All, Anyone know how long does it take JAL to issue the refunds? thx
350zrx330 is online now  
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:59 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by 350zrx330
HI All, Anyone know how long does it take JAL to issue the refunds? thx
I went ahead and requested a refund minus a $500 fee – since I was initially flying to Taipei, not mainland China, my flight didn't qualify for the full refund – and was told it would take "one to two months," depending on whether you booked it directly through JAL (I did) and how quickly your bank or CC issuer processes refunds.

Yes, I asked if they could be more specific than 1-2 months. They said no, and that all refunds (including full ones for those traveling to Beijing, Shanghai, etc.) take the same infuriatingly imprecise amount of time to process.
kirker is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:01 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by kirker
I went ahead and requested a refund minus a $500 fee – since I was initially flying to Taipei, not mainland China, my flight didn't qualify for the full refund – and was told it would take "one to two months," depending on whether you booked it directly through JAL (I did) and how quickly your bank or CC issuer processes refunds.

Yes, I asked if they could be more specific than 1-2 months. They said no, and that all refunds (including full ones for those traveling to Beijing, Shanghai, etc.) take the same infuriatingly imprecise amount of time to process.
Thank you Kirker. I will wait for few weeks and see if anything happens. I had two refund experiences with JAL 5 years ago, it took about 2 weeks after I was told 1 to 2 billing cycles. This time nothing so far since my refund request 2 weeks ago.
350zrx330 is online now  
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:07 am
  #30  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,421
Waiver has been extended till end of March and it covers tickets issued before Feb 13
JALPak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.