Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Hi all - it looks like the Japan Airlines website changed some of the wording if you want to make a flight change. The flight changes are still free, but it looks like the site says you need to pay the fare difference now (I swear it wasn't there before)? I haven't had to pay any fare differences to any of the changes I've made so far so this is new... =(

Has anyone made any recent date changes and can offer their experience - if you had to pay the fare difference? It really sucks if Japan Airlines is making people pay the fare difference now =(.

Some links https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...200423/?m=mv_2 and https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/200127_02/
That's been the condition for quite a while by now.

And to be honest, not an unreasonable criteria. There are no pre pandemic bookings left. Why should passengers be allowed to book a dirt cheap flight on dates that don't suit them, and subsequently change it to more expensive days that works better? (general statement, not trying to indicate anything about your intentions, but look what happened when QR made rebookings easy, immidiate abuse)
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:17 am

Thanks for your response. I last made a change end of March 2021 with no requirement to pay a fare difference so I guess they updated the changes within the past two or three months. I completely understand what you're saying and I agree with your statement. They would only let me change to July 2021 which is coming up. Japan's borders are still closed so it's out of my control since I won't be allowed in the country which is unfortunate. I guess it doesn't matter. It's probably safer not to go in the near future anyway and just get a refund/rebook a new trip when things are safer.

Last edited by cruisingmickey; Jun 5, 2021 at 12:23 am
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thanks for your response. I last made a change end of March 2021 with no requirement to pay a fare difference so I guess they updated the changes within the past two or three months. I completely understand what you're saying and I agree with your statement. They would only let me change to July 2021 which is coming up. Japan's borders are still closed so it's out of my control since I won't be allowed in the country which is unfortunate. I guess it doesn't matter. It's probably safer not to go in the near future anyway and just get a refund/rebook a new trip when things are safer.
I thought it was longer than that. But I may be out of sync on it. Or maybe just no actual fare difference on your rebooking, as the planes are quite empty these days.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: JMB
I'm pretty sure the "Fare difference will apply" was there in the past. But our planned trip last x-mas was cancelled by Corona and we got our money back.

We made a booking yesterday for the next year (directly via JAL homepage). The last few weeks the price for the whole booking was about 3.2k €, but JAL seems to have a discount at the moment, so we only paid 2.6k €.
If we have to pay the fare difference in case Japan is still closed and we have to change flight date... well, bad luck. As long as the modification itself is still for free.

It's really a gamble at the moment but I have hopes that Japan's vaccination campaign will go on and they allow vaccinated people to enter the land in the near future.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that free cancellations and day of departure rebooking on domestic flights has ended. As usual it seems to have happened quite in tandem with ANA.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/44...729b0c95614606

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.