Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As expected, absolutely no impact to service onboard JAL 006 in F today. Crew was wearing masks and gloves, but that was the only difference.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: JGC premier
Slightly OT.. but given the amount of biz trip restrictions and cancellations by various companies due to the virus, what’s the chance that they’ll do FOP promo or relax requalification requirement? With business trip out of Japan barred company wide and reduced domestic FOP campaign from 2x to 1.5x on the chosen month, at this rate I won’t requalify for JGP..
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:02 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Slightly OT.. but given the amount of biz trip restrictions and cancellations by various companies due to the virus, what’s the chance that they’ll do FOP promo or relax requalification requirement? With business trip out of Japan barred company wide and reduced domestic FOP campaign from 2x to 1.5x on the chosen month, at this rate I won’t requalify for JGP..
there will not be published campaigns but JAL will evaluate this on a case by case basis, but only if JAL believes there’s a need to relax the requirements in the first place.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:23 am

https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/202002/005492.html

more cuts announced. Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong are also affected this time. Surprised they didn’t just cut JL735/736 and kept daily JL029/026 like they did during SARS.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:27 pm

Any perceived cancelation threats for NRT-BKK? Have a JAL flight later this month.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
Any perceived cancelation threats for NRT-BKK? Have a JAL flight later this month.
At the moment no, but does depend on how the situation develops, and how much it affects travel in the region.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:36 am

Lounge service in japan has changed. Guess no more buffet style catering

Lounge Service about Meal and Drink

Due to Coronavirus spread, the food and drink service provided at our lounge in Japan will be changed to individual meal /packaging service or service provided by staff in order to ensure that customers can receive the service with peace of mind.

Please note that this change may limit the products offered at our lounge in Japan.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Lounge service in japan has changed. Guess no more buffet style catering
Grand Hyatt Roppongi abolished all buffets as well.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Grand Hyatt Roppongi abolished all buffets as well.
I wonder how the lounge service is like now. It's easy for JAL's Table at NRT JAL First Class Lounge. But for Sakura Lounges and the Satellite JAL First Class Lounge, are they going to put out beef curry bento boxes!?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how the lounge service is like now. It's easy for JAL's Table at NRT JAL First Class Lounge. But for Sakura Lounges and the Satellite JAL First Class Lounge, are they going to put out beef curry bento boxes!?
The Sakura lounges will probably go for convenience store style sandwiches, packaged snacks, and sweets. The satellite JAL First Class Lounge sort of same, just higher quality. Drinks in portion sized bottles and cans only.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Sakura lounges will probably go for convenience store style sandwiches, packaged snacks, and sweets. The satellite JAL First Class Lounge sort of same, just higher quality. Drinks in portion sized bottles and cans only.
Wait for grAAbbers and grASpers to complain if that's what the lounge service is like
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
unfortunately JAL isn't focusing on increasing the number of elites. JAL wants to reduce the number.
Hence the reduced FOP campaigns (2x -> 1.5x, No new destination double FOP =Bengaluru, Vladivostok etc. and reduced earnings on domestic legs of international tickets from 2021).
So, you better scramble for alternative ways to make/keep JGP/Diamond this year. Many are in your situation, and many have anticipated that the Olympics would make summer/autumn travel too expensive, so many have planned around those events. Expect autumn/winter to get really expensive going on....
I have already focused on KUL/SIN/ISG touch tickets, and booked myself to requalify for the year. But now, I have NRT-PUS this weekend...and are monitoring the virus situation closely...
If I were you, and were based in Asia, the easiest way is to invest in KUL-SIN-HND-ISG returns in one month, coupled with the 1.5x FOP month, and you will easily make JGP with only 4 weekend trips.
(18,970 FOP/trip at 3,900 MYR/880 USD/97,000JPY per trip for a FOP rate of less than 5usCPM /5yenPM).
But this is not the topic of the thread. Back to coronavirus...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Ill report about both F lounges when I pass by this Saturday.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
unfortunately JAL isn't focusing on increasing the number of elites. JAL wants to reduce the number.
Hence the reduced FOP campaigns (2x -> 1.5x, No new destination double FOP =Bengaluru, Vladivostok etc. and reduced earnings on domestic legs of international tickets from 2021).
So, you better scramble for alternative ways to make/keep JGP/Diamond this year. Many are in your situation, and many have anticipated that the Olympics would make summer/autumn travel too expensive, so many have planned around those events. Expect autumn/winter to get really expensive going on....
I have already focused on KUL/SIN/ISG touch tickets, and booked myself to requalify for the year. But now, I have NRT-PUS this weekend...and are monitoring the virus situation closely...
If I were you, and were based in Asia, the easiest way is to invest in KUL-SIN-HND-ISG returns in one month, coupled with the 1.5x FOP month, and you will easily make JGP with only 4 weekend trips.
(18,970 FOP/trip at 3,900 MYR/880 USD/97,000JPY per trip for a FOP rate of less than 5usCPM /5yenPM).
But this is not the topic of the thread. Back to coronavirus...
The situation may very well cut the number of elites far more than JAL would want. Depending on how everything develops.

Though I'd say they have no urgency at the moment. October or November is when they can start looking at the numbers and decide whether they need som waivers for select members or more general. Or not at all.

I am certainly behind last year at the same time. But I am not worried yet, though I will keep my eye on the accrual rate to see where things are heading. It is way too early to start thinking about a mileage run.
​​​​
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage
No Curry :-(

I was dreaming of the curry all day - had it last Friday. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at HND and found bread and wraps. Shouldn't complain since I am a lowly non status AAward traveller, but I must admit it hurt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.