Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Coronavirus travel waiver / service changes

Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by TTmex
I have just had time change on my itinerary for MEX-DFW-NRT-HAN. It's asking me to confirm or decline. If I decline, does it let me get a full refund or just get booked on to alternate flights?

Having paid in USD with a MXN card, this might be an opportunity to cancel and avoid any covid problems, but also bag nearly 20pc in value as I bought when dollar was at 18 and is now 21.5.

Thanks in advance
You can definitely cancel for a full refund, I canceled two US-NRT-BKK tickets a week ago after the transit Japan was added, it took a few days for them to calculate the refund as one of the tickets was mid-trip (exactly halfway.) That one was booked via AmEx Travel, the other was booked via AA and both were refunded in full.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: JGC premier
JL announced that they’re planning to do some FOP campaigns going forward. Let’s see what they have in store going forward.. My wish list is maybe double FOP? Not only on domestic but overseas routes

現在、新型コロナウイルス肺炎の感染拡大がニュース等でも取り上げられております。
 一部路線での運休、減便により、ご利用のお客さまにはご不便をおかけし、
 誠に申し訳ございません。

また、ご予定いただいておりましたご旅程のキャンセルや、
 変更のご検討をされていらっしゃるかと存じます。

昨今の状況を鑑み、今後の2020年のJALグループ便のご搭乗で、
 ボーナスFLY ON ポイントを進呈するキャンペーンを実施する予定でございます。
 詳細につきましては、決まり次第JAL Webサイトやメールニュースでお知らせいたしますので、
 今しばらくお待ちいただきますようお願いいたします。
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
JL announced that they’re planning to do some FOP campaigns going forward. Let’s see what they have in store going forward.. My wish list is maybe double FOP? Not only on domestic but overseas routes

現在、新型コロナウイルス肺炎の感染拡大がニュース等でも取り上げられております。
 一部路線での運休、減便により、ご利用のお客さまにはご不便をおかけし、
 誠に申し訳ございません。

また、ご予定いただいておりましたご旅程のキャンセルや、
 変更のご検討をされていらっしゃるかと存じます。

昨今の状況を鑑み、今後の2020年のJALグループ便のご搭乗で、
 ボーナスFLY ON ポイントを進呈するキャンペーンを実施する予定でございます。
 詳細につきましては、決まり次第JAL Webサイトやメールニュースでお知らせいたしますので、
 今しばらくお待ちいただきますようお願いいたします。
I got the mail as well. I guess we will just have to wait until an end is in sight, and see what they come up with.

400 boarding points on all booking classes?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I got the mail as well. I guess we will just have to wait until an end is in sight, and see what they come up with.

400 boarding points on all booking classes?
FOP bonus isn't enough. They need to extend mileage expirations for non JCP/Diamond members too. But keep charging for the freeloaders obviously!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:23 am

Ask for refund of award ticket

I booked a few of JAL domestic flights. Some of them are using avios to redeem.

Since the departure date falls into the waiver period, I called BA hotline for refund and they said all domestic flight tickets issued outside of Japan cannot be refunded.

Is there anything I can do?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by spitz8823
I booked a few of JAL domestic flights. Some of them are using avios to redeem.

Since the departure date falls into the waiver period, I called BA hotline for refund and they said all domestic flight tickets issued outside of Japan cannot be refunded.

Is there anything I can do?
the waiver clearly excludes domestic tickets not issued in Japan, as well as non 131 stock tickets. You will have to follow BA fare rules for refund and cancellation.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Seems JL is trying very hard not to admit that they should issue waivers into April, as their current policies only cover to March 28 (not even 31!), and yet other airlines are giving guidance / waivers clear to the end of April...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Seems JL is trying very hard not to admit that they should issue waivers into April, as their current policies only cover to March 28 (not even 31!), and yet other airlines are giving guidance / waivers clear to the end of April...
March 28 is timetable change to summer schedule, not that illogical cut of date. The April waivers will come, in due time.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
March 28 is timetable change to summer schedule, not that illogical cut of date. The April waivers will come, in due time.
The current policy already cover travels till at least early April.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
How long does a refund generally take to a credit card? I'm looking at cancelling my trip because I had a schedule change. Just curious how long the wait times are right now

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have a ticket that is half flown too (I still have the return flight). I was wondering how JAL calculates how much you are owed in return? An one way ticket costs more than a roundtrip so I’m afraid if I cancel the return, I’ll get nothing. Appreciate your insight. Thank you.

Originally Posted by jmail1
You can definitely cancel for a full refund, I canceled two US-NRT-BKK tickets a week ago after the transit Japan was added, it took a few days for them to calculate the refund as one of the tickets was mid-trip (exactly halfway.) That one was booked via AmEx Travel, the other was booked via AA and both were refunded in full.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:08 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by JALPak
The current policy already cover travels till at least early April.
I repeat that I believe JAL is trying to avoid cancellations and delay acting. The only international route they have issued a waiver for beyond April 1 is Bangalore -- which is implausible in the face of so many other airlines significantly modifying / cancelling / issuing waivers to customers.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...28/?inbound=ar
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...313/index.html

I suspect they are under some either financial pressure or political pressure not to show serious disruptions to their operations, maybe in support of the Olympics issue.
dvs7310 and h0ney13 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I repeat that I believe JAL is trying to avoid cancellations and delay acting. The only international route they have issued a waiver for beyond April 1 is Bangalore -- which is implausible in the face of so many other airlines significantly modifying / cancelling / issuing waivers to customers.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...28/?inbound=ar
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...313/index.html

I suspect they are under some either financial pressure or political pressure not to show serious disruptions to their operations, maybe in support of the Olympics issue.
this is simply incorrect as I have stated previously. Is it really that hard to read the waivers correctly?

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202..._02/index.html
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Because of the decree out of Malacañang, we just swapped our 3/31 MNL-DOH-LAX to 3/19 MNL-NRT-LAX. As of yesterday, JL746 was fairly light in Y and C, and now it is full in both cabins.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:02 am

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202003/005549.html

finally start seeing long haul cuts. This time mainly targeting North America. EU is next?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.