Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
JFK/ORD/LAX-NRT, SFO-HND in F. In Minutes. They hit at 8pm EST. I checked at 9pm and 9:30 and they were gone

I have two F seats on LAX-NRT for Dec 16 that I won't be purchasing and hold will expire January 25, 2016 11:59 PM PST. if anyone wants, pm me to cancel earlier.
So why not just release them now? What are you waiting for?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Now several (many?) routes have no seats released in the first place (or if any then just a few Y seats, which also get snapped up in a few hours if not quicker).

It's normally the mid to long haul routes. Local short to mid-haul routes w/in Asia are usually fine and open.
Yes. I have been following SFO-HND and HND-HKG. There was some spotty F & J availability thru yesterday. Today almost nothing
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:33 am

JAL award availability

I also have been following the patterns as well. so it is u guys who are snapping them up. leave me a ticket in a couple of weeks
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by susiesan
So why not just release them now? What are you waiting for?
Well I was trying to extend a courtesy and let me fellow FTers have first shot ...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh

Flights load into inventory 330 days out at 10am Japan Standard Time or 6pm Pacific Daylight Time (to the second). Revenue inventory and award inventory load at the same time. I can only speak to the JL 61 (LAX-NRT), 62 (NRT-LAX) and JL 1 (SFO-HND), 2 (HND-SFO) since those are the only routes I look at, but I expect other routes to be similar. JL 61, 62 loads 2 F and 2 J seats while JL 1, 2 loads 2 F and at least 4 J seats. What's crazy is that the award seats are available to partner redemption online before they are available online to JMB members. What I mean by this is that while the award seats are available to partners online at 6pm PDT, they aren't available to JMB members online until the next day at around 10:30am PDT. I do not know for sure if you are able to book the seats as soon as they load using JL miles by calling JL, but you definitely can't do it online.
I've tried calling AA to book an award seat but the AA agents keep telling me they don't have that date available in their system yet. The availability appears on the BA site right at 8:00pm EST. For example, seats for 12/21 showed up today on BA. Shouldn't they be in the AA system as well? What am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
I've tried calling AA to book an award seat but the AA agents keep telling me they don't have that date available in their system yet. The availability appears on the BA site right at 8:00pm EST. For example, seats for 12/21 showed up today on BA. Shouldn't they be in the AA system as well? What am I going wrong?

It's been that way since Saturday. On Friday, at 5pm PST, I was able to book JL awards as soon as they were released. However, because of the winter storm, somehow AA reservation messed up and they open/release schedule one day late and AA agents can only book award travel for us one day later than usual.

Within the last 3 days or so, I've talked with no less than 10 EXP agents and 6 normal agents and got the same thing.
Thanks to the winter storm, 7 F seats disappeared
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
Quote:

Flights load into inventory 330 days out at 10am Japan Standard Time or 6pm Pacific Daylight Time (to the second). Revenue inventory and award inventory load at the same time. I can only speak to the JL 61 (LAX-NRT), 62 (NRT-LAX) and JL 1 (SFO-HND), 2 (HND-SFO) since those are the only routes I look at, but I expect other routes to be similar. JL 61, 62 loads 2 F and 2 J seats while JL 1, 2 loads 2 F and at least 4 J seats. What's crazy is that the award seats are available to partner redemption online before they are available online to JMB members. What I mean by this is that while the award seats are available to partners online at 6pm PDT, they aren't available to JMB members online until the next day at around 10:30am PDT. I do not know for sure if you are able to book the seats as soon as they load using JL miles by calling JL, but you definitely can't do it online.

Well, based on the first response, if AA is really having problems, my only suggestion would be to book using BA Avios as soon as they load and then cancel within 24 hours to time it to when it would show up for the AA agents. I'm pretty sure that the seat will go right back into award inventory. I can't really think of another way to do it.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Well, based on the first response, if AA is really having problems, my only suggestion would be to book using BA Avios as soon as they load and then cancel within 24 hours to time it to when it would show up for the AA agents. I'm pretty sure that the seat will go right back into award inventory. I can't really think of another way to do it.
It'll first go to whoever has it waitlisted. Only if no one has waitlisted for the award will it go back into the public inventory.

As during first few hours and days availability can be fluid, experienced travelers will waitlist the flights they want right at availability if not open with their JL miles, as there is a real chance that within the next few days it'll clear.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Has anybody ever seen partner availability on either SHA-HND or PVG-NRT?
I've tried searching on both QF and BA sites and I see zero seats for months at a time.

JL search is showing seats but I'd like to book with Avios.

Last edited by Jermyn; Jan 28, 2016 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:58 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Jermyn
I've tried searching on both QF and BA sites and I see zero seats for months at a time.

Please check with people on BA board instead.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn

Originally Posted by JALPak
Please check with people on BA board instead.
Does this mean that some JL seats are available with JMB miles but not with Avios?

If so, I thought that wasn't allowed by oneworld rules.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by GaryD
Does this mean that some JL seats are available with JMB miles but not with Avios?

If so, I thought that wasn't allowed by oneworld rules.
It means you are dealing with Avios system not ours. So better ask the questions there.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
An interesting development in regards to JL F award availability since yesterday. Could be temporary, but it looks like they are releasing all but one seat in F as an award 40 days out.

I don't have any proof obviously, but yesterday, dates up to March 8th were released and then after today's update, dates up to March 9th were released. Come tomorrow around 11am pst, if the seats for March 10th are released, I think it might be safe to assume that it's systematic 40 days out.

Last edited by Goosh; Jan 28, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:22 pm

I've been checking daily and I didn't expect March to open up this early either. Burned the rest of my AA miles and saved what could've been $75.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:11 pm

An interesting development in regards to JL F award availability since yesterday. Could be temporary, but it looks like they are releasing all but one seat in F as an award 40 days out.

I don't have any proof obviously, but yesterday, dates up to March 8th were released and then after today's update, dates up to March 9th were released. Come tomorrow around 11am pst, if the seats for March 10th are released, I think it might be safe to assume that it's systematic 40 days out.
We should start using codes so only JMB members understand this kind of post LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.