Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I figured out what the problem was. Seems BA.com has a glitch where JL awards don't come up if you put in a date outside the 330 window and then try to select a date inside the 330 window.
That is very helpful to know!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I figured out what the problem was. Seems BA.com has a glitch where JL awards don't come up if you put in a date outside the 330 window and then try to select a date inside the 330 window.
Ah. That is very useful intel. Thanks for sharing! ^
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:51 am

Am I correct to conclude that JL award availability is released 10am Japan time (or 5pm Pacific time)? If I'm using AA miles to book, I would book them at 331 days in advance at 5pm Pacific time? Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Am I correct to conclude that JL award availability is released 10am Japan time (or 5pm Pacific time)? If I'm using AA miles to book, I would book them at 331 days in advance at 5pm Pacific time? Thanks.
330 not 331 days out, otherwise correct.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:53 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
330 not 331 days out, otherwise correct.
331 not 330
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
331 not 330
You are contradicting post #5 in this very thread,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24788625-post5.html

It's 330 days, if we are to trust this very same thread. I've also noticed that JAL awards are always released a day later (at 2pm or 3pm HST) than other airlines do it which are 331 days out.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by hamburglar
You are contradicting post #5 in this very thread,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24788625-post5.html

It's 330 days, if we are to trust this very same thread. I've also noticed that JAL awards are always released a day later (at 2pm or 3pm HST) than other airlines do it which are 331 days out.
The 2 don't contradict each other. It's 331 days out for him.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:40 pm

The 2 don't contradict each other. It's 331 days out for him.
Yes, and that is what I had started to say but then deleted, that it depends on your time zone perspective.

In Japan it's released at 10am JST 330 days out.
Yet for me it's released at 2 or 3pm HST 331 days out, for example.

So like so many things, it's all a matter of perspective.

Just technically it is 330 days if we go by the time zone that JAL operates in. But yes, from a PST/PDT perspective it's 331 days released in early evening. (But then by that perspective, most other airlines are 332 days late evening PST/PDT.)

The point is that JAL flights are released a day later than others. E.g. DL I can get at 9pm or 10pm HST 332 days out. JAL only at 2 or 3pm HST at 331 days out. No matter how you look at it, JAL release time is a day slower than most others.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:46 pm

Yes, and that is what I had started to say but then deleted, that it depends on your time zone perspective.

In Japan it's released at 10am JST 330 days out.
Yet for me it's released at 2 or 3pm HST 331 days out, for example.

So like so many things, it's all a matter of perspective.

Just technically it is 330 days if we go by the time zone that JAL operates in. But yes, from a PST/PDT perspective it's 331 days released in early evening. (But then by that perspective, most other airlines are 332 days late evening PST/PDT.)

The point is that JAL flights are released a day later than others. E.g. DL I can get at 9pm or 10pm HST 332 days out. JAL only at 2 or 3pm HST at 331 days out. No matter how you look at it, JAL release time is a day slower than most others.
The only point I was trying to make was OP wasn't wrong
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:57 pm

The only point I was trying to make was OP wasn't wrong
I know, and you are right in saying so.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
wow. Just as described , 2 F seats at 8PM EST.

Demand is crazy. The seats are getting snapped up in minutes, not even hours. Way harder than when I booked for May 2016 which seems like a higher season than Dec 2016. Stupid AA deval.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Jan 22, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:13 pm

Demand is crazy. The seats are getting snapped up in minutes, not even hours. Way harder than when I booked for May 2016 which seems like a higher season than Dec 2016. Stupid AA deval.
You're lucky in that at least there were some seats at the release time. Now many (in fact, the majority of flights I've checked) almost never have any J seats released at all (not even for a minute at release time). May be only once per week or two a flight may have any J seats open (often just 1), which doesn't last long. But, it's no longer released at 330 (331) days out for all flights, as used to be the case.

Hopefully after all the AA people stop grabbing the JL seats come this April it'll get better and back to the earlier normal. One can only hope that the current tightening of inventory by JL is temporary during the crazy grab time by AA FFs.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN

Which routes have you seen getting snapped up?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
The remaining routes that have seats released. Now several (many?) routes have no seats released in the first place (or if any then just a few Y seats, which also get snapped up in a few hours if not quicker).

It's normally the mid to long haul routes. Local short to mid-haul routes w/in Asia are usually fine and open.

E.g. good luck on finding anything on HNL-KIX or KIX-HNL, and not much better on HNL-NGO or NGO-HNL (both 777 flights), and even worse on HNL-HND and HND-HNL (also 777). And so on...

Anyway, just do a timely waitlist with your JL miles (330 days out) and there's a may be 25% change that it'll clear.. but without waitlist, much lower chance to see it and catch it.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
JFK/ORD/LAX-NRT, SFO-HND in F. In Minutes. They hit at 8pm EST. I checked at 9pm and 9:30 and they were gone

I have two F seats on LAX-NRT for Dec 16 that I won't be purchasing and hold will expire January 25, 2016 11:59 PM PST. if anyone wants, pm me to cancel earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.