Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Perhaps they release 4 only in certain instances? Recently, 4 J were released for September 12, 2016 SFO-HND and September 14, 2016 HND-SFO. (At least, those are the specific instances I'm aware of; I imagine I've missed some.)

The first of those only has 3 remaining now; the second still has all 4.
Thank you for the data point. Very possibly too that when I was checking, the schedule was still in the busy Summertime (August).

I want to plan a strategy for a trip next November. So hopefully, there is more availability then.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have a quick question re: booking codes and availability -

If I'm hoping for 1st/business seats to open up, what codes should I be looking at? Just F & J, or also A C D X I?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by K's Logic
I have a quick question re: booking codes and availability -

If I'm hoping for 1st/business seats to open up, what codes should I be looking at? Just F & J, or also A C D X I?

Many thanks for your help.
Easiest is if you just go to www.ar.jal.com, log into your JMB account and search for JAL int'l flights. What it shows is available is available. (Even on receipts JL doesn't show the booking class, so I am not sure what it is for JL internal use/ticketing.)

Often you may need to waitlist, and then there is a chance that exactly 1 month before - or possibly earlier or closer in - the flight will clear.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Easiest is if you just go to www.ar.jal.com, log into your JMB account and search for JAL int'l flights. What it shows is available is available. (Even on receipts JL doesn't show the booking class, so I am not sure what it is for JL internal use/ticketing.)

Often you may need to waitlist, and then there is a chance that exactly 1 month before - or possibly earlier or closer in - the flight will clear.
Thanks, that makes sense. Appreciate the response.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by K's Logic
Thanks, that makes sense. Appreciate the response.
Oh and remember not to trust the calendar. That is cached and not real time. You need to go day by day to see the specific dates current availability; the day-by-day display is real time.

Alternatively you can also use www.ba.com for JL flight availability; that is also accurate and real time.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:46 pm

Is there typically a time award flights are loaded into the system?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
GMT 0100 I think?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
10:00 am (to the second) Japan time. It says so on the JAL website whenever you search for/display award flight availability.

That is exactly the same time when the JAL US call center closes. And by the next day often the scarce availability is gone..
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
can you refuse to hang up and keep asking questions?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:13 pm

Does anyone know if JAL releases more awards using their own mileage program vs. one world partners? Similar to how LH releases more through their own program than through their partners?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bruinfever
Does anyone know if JAL releases more awards using their own mileage program vs. one world partners? Similar to how LH releases more through their own program than through their partners?
Yes I think they do do as I have waitlisted quite a few times in the past and got award seats last minute. Aside from the full award seats, they also allocate a number of seats for upgrades using JMB miles. I do this quite very often especially if there are no more award seats available. I would usually purchase higher fare economy class (H,K,M,B,Y,W) tickets and use my miles to either upgrade to PY/J. This year alone, all of my personal trips (ORD, JFK, LAX) got upgraded using miles with one (HEL) done last minute during check-in at the airport.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bruinfever
No, as there is just one class of inventory of award seats. But, you can only waitlist using the JMB program, and with JL there is usually very poor availability (what little is available is gone within a few minutes of 10am Japan time 330 days out - so you have to check at that exact hour and call immediately to book) and much of the time waitlisting is your only option. At 3 months and other times out JL will run a sweep and clear some of the waitlists. So, when add'l inventory is released, it'll go to the JMB member(s) who have waitlisted and will never appear to other OW airlines. Will only appear to other OW airlines if no one has waitlisted.

Plus, with the JMB program the cost in miles is considerably less than with AA and others, you get RTW awards with 7 stopovers, etc., so JL miles are considerably more valuable than most other airline miles -- if you can find availability, that is (best value is usually JL miles for OW flights).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:29 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by RealHJ
No, as there is just one class of inventory of award seats.
FYI, in addition to the waitlist (which gives priority to JMB elites), there are also Diamond Member redemptions that allow last-seat availability at twice the normal cost. These are only available to JMB Diamond members.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
FYI, in addition to the waitlist (which gives priority to JMB elites), there are also Diamond Member redemptions that allow last-seat availability at twice the normal cost. These are only available to JMB Diamond members.
But unfortunately not in F :-(
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
I am planning to book a first class JAL award with aadvantage miles which would include two legs on JAL and one intra-european leg on a oneworld partner. Ideally it has to be ICN-NRT-FRA-MAD.
How do you search for it? Do i have to find availability for individual legs on the BA website and then to call AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.