Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
Thank you very much JALPak

For some reason I thought Obon was in July this year

Any idea what the expressway traffic will be expected to be between Osaka and Tokyo as I have to return a hire car on the Sunday or Monday?

AQ
Northbound or south? North was ratger bad i saw last year... Inwas going south (towards osaka)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
What are my chances of award space opening up for two in Econ, Seoul -> Tokyo, during Obon weekend?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by imslippy
What are my chances of award space opening up for two in Econ, Seoul -> Tokyo, during Obon weekend?
Avg L/F for Korean routes during obon is 84.2% as of today.

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/bw_uploads...6Rl78ucGRm.pdf
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:15 am

Thanks for the info!
I just need a one-way so I'll keep checking and hope for the best =\
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:07 am

Out of the blue a business class seat opened up the first week to get me back to the USA. Guess checking daily worked out for me!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:58 am

Nice job!
Hopefully something opens for me.
T-11 days =\
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Any chance someone could check current F loads on ORD/JFK-NRT from 8/14-8/16? BA.com not showing any space on these days. Seat map searches on Expedia show a few empty seats here and there, but just trying to gauge if any saver award space is likely to appear soon. Thx.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by CalNaughtonJr
Any chance someone could check current F loads on ORD/JFK-NRT from 8/14-8/16? BA.com not showing any space on these days. Seat map searches on Expedia show a few empty seats here and there, but just trying to gauge if any saver award space is likely to appear soon. Thx.
Just go to ar.jal.com to search for F ticket.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:05 pm

Seems like there are no available from 12/25 - 12/29 HND-TSA/NRT-TPE. Am I to understand this *might* only open up 10-14 days prior to departure?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Seems like there are no available from 12/25 - 12/29 HND-TSA/NRT-TPE. Am I to understand this *might* only open up 10-14 days prior to departure?
Good luck with that. That's peak year-end travel period for Japanese.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:48 am

As a reminder, this thread is about JMB bookings. For AA and BAEC bookings, there are experts on AA and BA boards that can help you much better. Thank you!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by JALPak
As a reminder, this thread is about JMB bookings. For AA and BAEC bookings, there are experts on AA and BA boards that can help you much better. Thank you!
Thank you.
I know that but I see other posts here about booking JL awards with AA miles and that is why I asked here.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:44 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm glad it was brought to the attention that this is for JMB. I'm always curious myself about how JMB rewards work and all I see on here is about AA points for JL redemption.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Booking awards for any airline whilst using AAdvantage miles must be done via American Airlines.

The rules for booking AAdvantage partners are explained in the extensive wiki post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2014-a.html in the American Airlines | AAdvantage (Combined airline and program) forum.

and that is where several posts inquiring about booking awards on JL with AA miles have gone.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Until not long ago, I've seen a clear pattern to JL award availability: at 330 days out, 2 (only rarely more) seats in J are released at the daily time when the inventory loads, and are usually snapped up somewhere between 30 minutes and a few days after becoming available (rarely last more than 2, 3, max 4 days; most often within some 2-36 hours they're gone - and it's not really any better for Y).

However, for the last month+ I haven't seen practically any award seats (J or Y) released by JL on any of the numerous flights to/from HNL that I checked (the 3x daily HNL-NRT, 1x daily HNL-HND, HNL-KIX and HNL-NGO), and not so for most other random long-haul routes I've checked either (NRT-DME seems to be the only exception to this rule that I've seen, but that's surely because who in their right mind would ever choose to fly to or via DME). I mean, as far as I can see, none are ever even released now - it's not like before when there will be at least few minutes (usually several hours at least) and up to possibly even a few days from 330 days out that some seats are available for booking.

In my particular case, as SPG points transfer to JMB miles takes a good two weeks and JL miles expire, that puts me in a difficult spot, as even at best of times, a JL award not grabbed within an hour or few of becoming available at 330 days out will be gone forever, and clearing a waitlist is a distant hope and not very likely (and if so then normally only at around a week out, by when it's far too late to plan and book/confirm the trip). Given the pattern until not long ago, I could be reasonably certain that, as long as I move on it promptly and at the right time, I can secure the award needed (obviously having to do it as two one-ways - which necessitates a phone booking, as by the time the return flight is within the booking time frame, the outbound will be no longer available). Now, however, I'm not sure.

Anyone have any further information, data points or thoughts on this? Is it just because now 330 days out is August, which is peak Japan holidays/travel time and JL is not releasing awards during August at all perhaps? Or is it that JL is practically not releasing awards in general until the Nov 1 rate hike (so I should try to put it on a waitlist for now and see if it clears on or after Nov 1? but then again, miles moved to JL will expire there if not used, so if it doesn't clear and award availability is like it is now - practically non-existent - going forward.. and it's not only J long-haul that is seemingly N/A now, it's the same story for Y long-haul also)? Or..?

Any thoughts, observations, advice, experience, etc. on this from others who've booked JL awards more often would be much appreciated here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.