Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by igor82j
I am planning to book a first class JAL award with aadvantage miles which would include two legs on JAL and one intra-european leg on a oneworld partner. Ideally it has to be ICN-NRT-FRA-MAD.
How do you search for it? Do i have to find availability for individual legs on the BA website and then to call AA?
That might be a better question for the AA or BA forum.... However generally the BA website is the best place to search for cross alliance availability. As far as a I know you can only search for availability by day, not a week view, so have a bit of time on hand for the process.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That might be a better question for the AA or BA forum.... However generally the BA website is the best place to search for cross alliance availability. As far as a I know you can only search for availability by day, not a week view, so have a bit of time on hand for the process.
try QF too. they have calendar but they also have a stupid partner called EK
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:33 pm

have you tried the oneworld website?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
have you tried the oneworld website?
Just now, and I see zero possibility to check award availability across the alliance. But if you have a link I'd be intrigued....
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Just now, and I see zero possibility to check award availability across the alliance. But if you have a link I'd be intrigued....
There is none. Oneworld website is fairly useless. It has never searched award availability. Maybe once JL gets their web site working in NA you can use it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
There is none. Oneworld website is fairly useless. It has never searched award availability. Maybe once JL gets their web site working in NA you can use it.
I use the JL site in Japan so I have zero issues. I was just responding to a suggestion. Which I honestly speaking did know to not really go anywhere, but then again it only took me 15 seconds to double check.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by susiesan
...or just use ba.com...or qantas.com...or the Japan Region jal.com.

So many choices. Takes less time to go and easily search for OW award availability than to post here about it, really.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
I use the JL site in Japan so I have zero issues
Says I am not registered there. Do I need an address in Japan?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Says I am not registered there. Do I need an address in Japan?
If you want to log in to the JAL website, and use functionalities that requires you to log in, you can only use the website of the region your account is registered to. I live in Tokyo, hence I use the Japan region site. Depending on what you want to do there are work around. Though not for everything.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
If you want to log in to the JAL website, and use functionalities that requires you to log in, you can only use the website of the region your account is registered to. I live in Tokyo, hence I use the Japan region site. Depending on what you want to do there are work around. Though not for everything.
Basically the workaround to use the JAL JP site to search for flights is to register, under a fake name (optional; or use real name, but if name, DoB and e-mail match, JAL may merge your two duplicate JMB accounts) and address (e.g. just use some hotel address) in Japan. It has to be a different JMB number registered in Japan.

That's the workaround that silly limitation (which only applies to online functionality, BTW; it doesn't matter in which region your JMB account is, you can still call and do reservations by phone from JL Japan reservations).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Basically the workaround to use the JAL JP site to search for flights is to register, under a fake name (optional; or use real name, but if name, DoB and e-mail match, JAL may merge your two duplicate JMB accounts) and address (e.g. just use some hotel address) in Japan. It has to be a different JMB number registered in Japan.

That's the workaround that silly limitation (which only applies to online functionality, BTW; it doesn't matter in which region your JMB account is, you can still call and do reservations by phone from JL Japan reservations).
Your account will get disabled once the JMB card mail got rejected. The T&C clearly states you need to register in the region you lives/works at.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Your account will get disabled once the JMB card mail got rejected. The T&C clearly states you need to register in the region you lives/works at.
Ah, good point. In that case, list a hotel address where you plan to stay at when going to Japan and tell them to expect that mail for you. That may work, if going to Japan.

Otherwise, you can still use the account for a while - and if all one wants to do is search (for which it is a bit silly to require a login, but even more so to limit account to a specific region, when the Americas region has all functionality disabled esp.), that will be enough.

Not an elegant solution by any means, but a workaround around an archaic limitation and requirement (typical of corporate Japan, logic and good sense are completely ignored). It's not that I endorse or recommend this, but, well, it is a workaround. (For me though, I just use the BA site to search. I haven't even done this myself, despite checking daily for some JL flights availability, given that waitlisting now will only stick for 8 days, so can't just waitlist it and let it be as could do before.)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:33 pm

Ah, good point. In that case, list a hotel address where you plan to stay at when going to Japan and tell them to expect that mail for you. That may work, if going to Japan.

Otherwise, you can still use the account for a while - and if all one wants to do is search (for which it is a bit silly to require a login, but even more so to limit account to a specific region, when the Americas region has all functionality disabled esp.), that will be enough.

Not an elegant solution by any means, but a workaround around an archaic limitation and requirement (typical of corporate Japan, logic and good sense are completely ignored). It's not that I endorse or recommend this, but, well, it is a workaround. (For me though, I just use the BA site to search. I haven't even done this myself, despite checking daily for some JL flights availability, given that waitlisting now will only stick for 8 days, so can't just waitlist it and let it be as could do before.)
That's totally unethical and add extra costs for JAL just because AA members want to use our search?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
That's totally unethical and add extra costs for JAL just because AA members want to use our search?
Not just AA members. JAL members also.

How else are JAL AR members supposed to do the search now, pray do tell us?
Esp. now that JMB allows waitlisting for only 8 days, so simply waitlisting a flight is no longer an option and checking every day is required now by JAL JMB members.

IMO it's far more "unethical" for a JAL member to search ba.com (tax extra resources on ba.com) for JL flight availability, when they intend to book it using their JL miles, than to simply sign-up for a JP region JMB account and search it on JAL (esp. when to call when flights become open one has to call the JP reservations anyway, as US reservations conveniently close at the very same time when flights are released and become available each day).

If JAL chooses to run its business so very inefficiently and insist on mailing out a physical card, which vast majority of people place away and will never actually use or even be able to find again, that is its own decision (of choosing to run its business inefficiently and squander money).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:56 am

Not just AA members. JAL members also.

How else are JAL AR members supposed to do the search now, pray do tell us?
Esp. now that JMB allows waitlisting for only 8 days, so simply waitlisting a flight is no longer an option and checking every day is required now by JAL JMB members.

IMO it's far more "unethical" for a JAL member to search ba.com (tax extra resources on ba.com) for JL flight availability, when they intend to book it using their JL miles, than to simply sign-up for a JP region JMB account and search it on JAL (esp. when to call when flights become open one has to call the JP reservations anyway, as US reservations conveniently close at the very same time when flights are released and become available each day).

If JAL chooses to run its business so very inefficiently and insist on mailing out a physical card, which vast majority of people place away and will never actually use or even be able to find again, that is its own decision (of choosing to run its business inefficiently and squander money).
US call center does not close at the same time as awards are released

Those who asked on this thread are using AA miles not JMB, especially the one you are replying to.

JL members can always call to find availability. They don't have to search BA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.