Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
Hi all - I wanted to post another data point, having booked an itinerary all on JL metal through AA, JFK-NRT-TPE, TPE-NRT-JFK, the long haul flights having AA flight numbers and fare classes, D, D, X, and I. After getting my JL PNR from AA, I was finally able to retrieve my reservation on the JAL US site using the combo suggested above of AA flight number, JL record locator, last name, and first name (NO middle name needed). I was then able to select seats, which are NOT shown in my reservation on AA's website, but still showing when I retrieve the reservation again on the JAL website. (When I called AA for seat selection, the system robot confirmed that the seats had been selected, however.)
I have a couple of reservations booked through AA that are operated by JL with AA codeshare flight numbers. Following the advice in this thread I have tried every combination of flight numbers, reservation numbers etc and always get an error . Anyone have any other ideas why I can't pull up the bookings? I gave up waiting for JL to answer the phone after an hour. I suppose I could try calling AA too.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm stuck in the same boat. I have an intinerary LAX-PEK / SIN-HND / NRT-LAX with the first leg on AA and the rest on JL but with an AA codeshare flight number.

Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR.

However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm stuck in the same boat. I have an intinerary LAX-PEK / SIN-HND / NRT-LAX with the first leg on AA and the rest on JL but with an AA codeshare flight number.

Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR.

However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.
Hello OskiBear, I ended up calling AA reservations who fixed my JAL seat reservations without any fuss. The JAL website functionality leaves much to be desired.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Hello OskiBear, I ended up calling AA reservations who fixed my JAL seat reservations without any fuss. The JAL website functionality leaves much to be desired.
you bought a ticket with AA not JL. It is the marketing carrier’s responsibility to provide this type of function. JL is not obligated to let you login to view your AA coded flights.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Why don't the seat assignments stick? They get put in by AA and when I check back a few weeks later, they're either gone or moved to another seat.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Round-trip flight purchased on AA.com, code fare N. AA metal from home airport to DFW, then DFW-NRT-MNL-NRT-ORD on JAL metal, and then AA metal for ORD to home airport. DFW-NRT leg is currently ~22 hours from departure. Seat assignments for the two AA legs are all set.

For JAL seats:
AA website won't allow check-in or seat selection, and AA phone rep says JAL won't show her the DFW-NRT or any seat map to even begin to try and assign seats. Says there's no way anyone at AA can help until I go to the airport counter tomorrow.
JAL website won't allow check-in or seat selection, and JAL phone rep says only AA can assign seats since they're the ones who ticketed the flight. Says there's no way anyone at JAL can help.

Experience for other party on my trip (with own separate reservation) is identical. Pre-November 2017, same ticket source and fare code, and the process was seamless. Are we unlucky or is this now "a thing" and the wiki has become out of date?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The wiki does indicate that N is airport check in only, no advance seat selection. So your experience seems to follow the wiki.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by KurFTBiz
Round-trip flight purchased on AA.com, code fare N.
see wiki above for seat selection restrictions for N fares.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by JALPak

you bought a ticket with AA not JL. It is the marketing carrier’s responsibility to provide this type of function. JL is not obligated to let you login to view your AA coded flights.
Then why does AA's booking page tell me to contact JAL directy to assign seats for my N class?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Then why does AA's booking page tell me to contact JAL directy to assign seats for my N class?
File the complaint against AA. JL doesn't control what AA posts on its website. But FWIW, no matter which page you go to, you won't be able to assign seats in advance for N class booking.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR. However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.
Sadly, me too. Three long segments on JL and can no longer get in to the JL manage booking page when using AA or JL flight numbers, first JL or first AA segment, first name or first+middle - I've probably tried every combination. I'm wondering if they just disabled access if you didn't ticket on JL, but I see above some folks were able to get it working. Who knows.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by aschuett
Sadly, me too. Three long segments on JL and can no longer get in to the JL manage booking page when using AA or JL flight numbers, first JL or first AA segment, first name or first+middle - I've probably tried every combination. I'm wondering if they just disabled access if you didn't ticket on JL, but I see above some folks were able to get it working. Who knows.
That's been the case for me as well for the past couple of months - I can't get to JL's manage booking page, and my JL seat assignments aren't shown on AA's website. However, I opened the AA app today and, to my surprise, my JL seat assignments were shown. I didn't attempt to change them, tho.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I have a K class fare but AA does not see any JL PNR when I call AA. It's been a day and they still don't see anything (initially I thought it may take a few hours for it to show up in AA's systems) What can I do? Is it a waste of time to call up JL?

[UPDATE:] I called JL's US phone center and they gave me the code for the Cathay pacific flight on my itinerary (which of course doesn't work on JL.com) and said they cannot change my seats and that AA needs to do it since AA booked it. I told her a few times that AA said I need to call JL to do it but she said she is unable to do so......
kaka likes this.

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; Oct 2, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Another update to the above: when I do call AA, they are actually able to select the seats while JL cannot. Odd, but at least I have selected my seats. I, however, have no idea how I would check in online if I don't have a PNR with JL.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hey all, I haven't done this in over a year and forgot how to input this into JAL's website and I've tried all the suggestions. Bear with me!

Booked a international flight on AA.com, with the TPAC leg on JAL metal, AA codeshare (AA8478). However, I can't even get the JAL website to acknowledge the itinerary, as in, I keep playing with the AA codeshare flight #, actual JL flight #, AA Confirmation #, JL confirmation #... no dice. Any suggestions? I have the JL confirmation # and I know about putting middle names together with the first name on the website.. I know I've gotten this to work before but I'm not sure if something changed, or I'm missing a detail. Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.