Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have an upcoming flight in JL F issued by AA. I called AA to get my JL PNR... on the MMB screen here (https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings) it's asking for my Reservation Number. Adding my PNR to that box results in an error. What do I enter for my Reservation Number?
I've done more than my share of the "get the JL PNR from AAgent then pick seats w/ JL" routine over the years, but it hasn't worked for me for the upcoming trip. First, unlike what we used to do previously, you are now expected to enter the flight # w/ AA prefix (i.e., instead of JL7, you are to enter AA8475) on JL's site. Hopefully, this will help.

If it doesn't, then, I'd recommend that you call JL, hoping that they can help. I had a rather lengthy conversation with a JL agent this morning, and she pretty much told me that, since their system migration last November, the "seat assignment behavior" of the system has become less than transparent/predictable in some cases, and the system may have some kinks they needs to work out.

If I understood her correctly, under the new system, AAgents are able to assign seats on JL codeshares on AA's system (I wonder how many AAgents are actually familiar w/ this new development, BTW!). But AA only has an "x" number of seats allocated for pre-assignment, and once that number is reached, neither JL nor AA can assign seats until you check in at the airport (not even online checkin, from the sound of it...b/c she emphasized "airport ctrl"--but I hope she is wrong & I can pick my seat upon online checkin @ T24). She admitted that there was a block of seats reserved for airport control, but she says neither she nor her supervisor has the authority to override this.

This sounds bizarre to me, especially for paid J pax, but that what JL says...and I guess I will find out if I end up in that hard-to-access middle seat that presumably makes some people feel like they are in a prison cell... I am venting now, but I really hate the "pick seats at the airport" system...because many pax are connecting from domestic flights and they have the advantage of checking in very early--when "direct flyers" like me can't check in until the JL counter opens 2? 3? hours before the flight!!!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The simple solution is of course book the flights JAL. coded. Which may give other restrictions, probably mainly EQD.

I tend to avoid code share bookings on long haul stretches, always seems to give seat selection and check in issues. Not just between AA and JL, but on many carrier combos. Though sometimes I do go for the code share for point reasons, but then I have to accept the quirky things in contrast Most frequently getting Emirates to Dubai JL coded
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by nyc10036
....But AA only has an "x" number of seats allocated for pre-assignment, and once that number is reached, neither JL nor AA can assign seats until you check in at the airport (not even online checkin, from the sound of it...b/c she emphasized "airport ctrl"--but I hope she is wrong & I can pick my seat upon online checkin @ T24). ...
I just wanted to post an update on the issue above, in case if anybody is interested. I called EXP AAgent today and explained the situation (because it really bothered me that I paid for J--not even an upgrade--yet there seems to be a policy preventing me from getting a seat assigned 'til I get to the airport), and she initially seemed to confirm this new policy. But she put me on hold for a few minutes to speke to somebody to see if there's anything they could do, and they were somehow able to unblock one of the seats previously designated to be under airport ctrl by JL.

So, while their policy might say otherwise, it is apparently technically possible to accomplish this on AA's system.

tomj888 said on Jan 5, 18 2:24 pm:
Why is it such a pain in the a-- to deal with jal
Sadly, while their onboard products are usually quite superb, JL's CS reps don't seem very effective at solving problems. Don't get me wrong, they are EVER so nice, professional and caring, but I'd rather get "unprofessional but competent" than "professional but incompetent."

Incidentally, one of my Japanese colleagues has told me that the quality of JL's CS in the Japanese language (which apparently used to be outstanding), too, has been declining greatly in the recent years since JL began relying on PT employees and temps, letting FT employees go, to save $.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I just wanted to post an update on the issue above, in case if anybody is interested. I called EXP AAgent today and explained the situation (because it really bothered me that I paid for J--not even an upgrade--yet there seems to be a policy preventing me from getting a seat assigned 'til I get to the airport), and she initially seemed to confirm this new policy. But she put me on hold for a few minutes to speke to somebody to see if there's anything they could do, and they were somehow able to unblock one of the seats previously designated to be under airport ctrl by JL.

So, while their policy might say otherwise, it is apparently technically possible to accomplish this on AA's system.

tomj888 said on Jan 5, 18 2:24 pm:

Sadly, while their onboard products are usually quite superb, JL's CS reps don't seem very effective at solving problems. Don't get me wrong, they are EVER so nice, professional and caring, but I'd rather get "unprofessional but competent" than "professional but incompetent."

Incidentally, one of my Japanese colleagues has told me that the quality of JL's CS in the Japanese language (which apparently used to be outstanding), too, has been declining greatly in the recent years since JL began relying on PT employees and temps, letting FT employees go, to save $.
you bought an AA coded flight and you need to deal with AA not JL until check in. I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand it’s the marketing carrier’s job to provide service such as seat assignment to you. I am glad that it works out for you at the end but the JL agents are not incompetent in this case. They are simply following the rules.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JALPak
I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand it’s the marketing carrier’s job to provide service such as seat assignment to you.
Except that it's not universally true at all. Many codeshares, including AA codeshares of JAL flights until just recently, require seat assignments to be made directly with the operating carrier.
nyc10036 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Except that it's not universally true at all. Many codeshares, including AA codeshares of JAL flights until just recently, require seat assignments to be made directly with the operating carrier.
AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA. JL agent will not entertain any seat assignment request.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:21 am

AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA ...

you bought an AA coded flight and you need to deal with AA not JL until check in. I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand...
the JL agents are not incompetent in this case. ...
Thanks for your assertive comment and I certainly hope that the "intuitive simplicity" you describe, JALPak, is going to continue. But, as a point of information, I'd like to note here publicly that your assertion about "JL having always required seat assgn by AA" has never been my experience in the last decade, online or over the phone--until this time. We always had to call AA to get JL PNR first (and when we did, we always made sure to first ask AAgent to assign seats because people have periodically shared anecdotes on Flyertalk that AAgents were able to help), then we had to deal separately w/ JL to get seats assigned. AAgents have never been able to help us w/ JL seat assignments, presumably until the system migration which took place in November of 2017. My company and I have purchased dozens of AA J tix on JL-operated flights, so I think my N is large enough here.

I know this is going to upset JALPak, but I do believe this inconvenience was due to JL's policy because AAgent has long been able to assign seats on AY-operated AA tix on our behalf.

I am glad to hear that your experience has always been dreadfully simple, painfully intuitive and velvet smooth with JL-operated-AA tix, JALPak--but, being an expert that you are, you should perhaps be aware that your experience is quite atypical!

Also, it is often profoundly difficult to understand anything, from the consumers' standpoint, when airlines change their long-standing policy and, in this case, even the JL agent didn't quite know how to handle it--noting that they may or may not have ctrl over seat assignments these days and they must try putting thru the request anyhow to find out how it pans out. In fact, she characterized the system behavior unpredictable (see my initial post on this matter from Mar 23, 18 9:44 pm) and she was only able to give me her best guess as to what was happening. So, perhaps JL agents are competent as JALPak posits, but the entire protocol didn't seem all that transparent, even to the JL agent I spoke to--and certainly to me (and my company) as consumers.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:26 pm

Thanks for your assertive comment and I certainly hope that the "intuitive simplicity" you describe, JALPak, is going to continue. But, as a point of information, I'd like to note here publicly that your assertion about "JL having always required seat assgn by AA" has never been my experience in the last decade, online or over the phone--until this time. We always had to call AA to get JL PNR first (and when we did, we always made sure to first ask AAgent to assign seats because people have periodically shared anecdotes on Flyertalk that AAgents were able to help), then we had to deal separately w/ JL to get seats assigned. AAgents have never been able to help us w/ JL seat assignments, presumably until the system migration which took place in November of 2017. My company and I have purchased dozens of AA J tix on JL-operated flights, so I think my N is large enough here.

I know this is going to upset JALPak, but I do believe this inconvenience was due to JL's policy because AAgent has long been able to assign seats on AY-operated AA tix on our behalf.

I am glad to hear that your experience has always been dreadfully simple, painfully intuitive and velvet smooth with JL-operated-AA tix, JALPak--but, being an expert that you are, you should perhaps be aware that your experience is quite atypical!

Also, it is often profoundly difficult to understand anything, from the consumers' standpoint, when airlines change their long-standing policy and, in this case, even the JL agent didn't quite know how to handle it--noting that they may or may not have ctrl over seat assignments these days and they must try putting thru the request anyhow to find out how it pans out. In fact, she characterized the system behavior unpredictable (see my initial post on this matter from Mar 23, 18 9:44 pm) and she was only able to give me her best guess as to what was happening. So, perhaps JL agents are competent as JALPak posits, but the entire protocol didn't seem all that transparent, even to the JL agent I spoke to--and certainly to me (and my company) as consumers.
Sorry to hear that you have consistently getting incompetent AAgents in the past decade. Now that you know AA should be the one who handles your seat assignment and is capable of doing so, hope you won’t need to waste your valuable time calling JL for your next codeshare flight.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi all - I wanted to post another data point, having booked an itinerary all on JL metal through AA, JFK-NRT-TPE, TPE-NRT-JFK, the long haul flights having AA flight numbers and fare classes, D, D, X, and I. After getting my JL PNR from AA, I was finally able to retrieve my reservation on the JAL US site using the combo suggested above of AA flight number, JL record locator, last name, and first name (NO middle name needed). I was then able to select seats, which are NOT shown in my reservation on AA's website, but still showing when I retrieve the reservation again on the JAL website. (When I called AA for seat selection, the system robot confirmed that the seats had been selected, however.)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just a data point - I had booked a flight for November 2018 a month or two ago and nothing was possible. I called AA today to make a change on an AA segment and, at the same time, the agent said, "Hey, you don't have a seat assignment on your SIN-HND leg. I'll get you these two seats." It's O-fare, AA codeshare. Let's hope the assignments stick. When I received the email confirmation, it has my seats assigned!
Old May 8, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, BA Silver, paltry DL, expiring points everywhere else
I just bought BOS–NRT–SIN–NRT–BOS in business through AA as it was $600 cheaper. I called AA and they quickly assigned the window seats I wants, and they show up on the AA trip management.
So how can I pre-order a Japanese meal? Impossible?
Old May 8, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cuyp
I just bought BOS–NRT–SIN–NRT–BOS in business through AA as it was $600 cheaper. I called AA and they quickly assigned the window seats I wants, and they show up on the AA trip management.
So how can I pre-order a Japanese meal? Impossible?
There are some restrictions.

The flights need to be booked directly with JAL. And codeshares operated by JAL but marketed by another carrier are excluded

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/business/meal/meal_yoyaku/
Old May 9, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, BA Silver, paltry DL, expiring points everywhere else
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are some restrictions.

The flights need to be booked directly with JAL. And codeshares operated by JAL but marketed by another carrier are excluded

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...l/meal_yoyaku/
Well that's no fun! SQ lets you Book the Cook on partner-marketed flights (by phone).
Old May 9, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cuyp
Well that's no fun! SQ lets you Book the Cook on partner-marketed flights (by phone).
There is a slight difference, SQ book the cook is for options not available otherwise on the flight JAL is just securing your selection. Unless you are in the very last rows, unlikely to be an issue. But it can happen.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: LH HON

AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA. JL agent will not entertain any seat assignment request.
Umm. AA didn't even have proper access to JL system up until recently. But yeah, incompetent AAgents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.