Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 12:28 am
THR

Right. These are AA awards. No status with JAL.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Thanks to a late rerouting, I just tried to change Biz seats on a JL flight tomorrow afternoon. (AA SAAver award, so I was lucky to get that, I guess.) I'm checked in and auto-assigned 7G. Only 3 other choices, including 1K and 3D; picking either of them as Plat got me "seat cannot be reserved". Really? Even a middle?
Old May 29, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Thanks to a late rerouting, I just tried to change Biz seats on a JL flight tomorrow afternoon. (AA SAAver award, so I was lucky to get that, I guess.) I'm checked in and auto-assigned 7G. Only 3 other choices, including 1K and 3D; picking either of them as Plat got me "seat cannot be reserved". Really? Even a middle?
Plat is "only" Sapphire, so that combined with an award booking may place some restrictions on seat availability.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:55 am

Delete.

Last edited by AppleTwapple; Jun 13, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I booked on orbitz a flight from PHL-BOS-NRT. I think it’s an AA ticket but the flight from BOS-NRT shows JL 11. It’s booking code N. Even as a One World Sapphire is it true I can’t preselect seats for this? The flight is next April.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by puchalskir
I booked on orbitz a flight from PHL-BOS-NRT. I think it’s an AA ticket but the flight from BOS-NRT shows JL 11. It’s booking code N. Even as a One World Sapphire is it true I can’t preselect seats for this? The flight is next April.
N class can’t pre-select seats in advance no matter what status you have, even when you aren’t traveling on AA codeshare
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
I booked a flight on AA from LAX to SIN with the return leg being AA codeshare JL operated SIN-NRT-LAX. I got the JL record locator from AA CS and put in all the possible combination of flight details (JL flight # or AA flight #, etc.), but the error message kept showing up. I had to call AA CS for the seat selection in the end.

Not sure why it is so hard to do it online even though I have all the information needed. JL IT
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sunyafei
I booked a flight on AA from LAX to SIN with the return leg being AA codeshare JL operated SIN-NRT-LAX. I got the JL record locator from AA CS and put in all the possible combination of flight details (JL flight # or AA flight #, etc.), but the error message kept showing up. I had to call AA CS for the seat selection in the end.

Not sure why it is so hard to do it online even though I have all the information needed. JL IT
We also can't access our codeshare reservation on JL's website. It's amazing in 2019 they have such a bad system. We have to call American for seats and if we want to pre-select a meal.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by puchalskir

JL11 is DFW-NRT
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Data point

Booked AA codeshare / JAL 005/033 (JFK-HND-BKK) in Y & called up AA's customer service no. in Asia
Was quite surprised that the call center is based in Malaysia so it was absolutely easy to talk to the agent & he did everything he could to help me select my seats
Since the flight is operated by another airline, the only extra legroom seats I could get (as OWE - higher status opens up more seat availability) were the bulkhead rows
The EmEx seats are blocked.
I used SeatGuru for seat map advice but found that the 772 aircraft maps (for HND-BKK) are not updated/correct so I referred to the JAL website instead
For JFK HND, SeatGuru 773 maps are correct.

I also have the JAL PNR but it doesn't work (it won't work) on the JAL website, I've confirmed that with the JAL customer service agent (they are based in HKG)

This thread was very helpful so thanks to all who contributed ^
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Gold
do you have a middle name? You'll need to add the initial under the first name for it to come up. Like : Lastname, FirstnameM
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:04 pm

This worked seamlessly for me yesterday:

1. Go to Qatar website. Click on Manage Booking. Enter your AA confirmation number.

2. Qatar website may error out. But despite that, on top of page, another confirmation number will show up. Let’s call this the OneWorld confirmation number.

3. Go to JAL website. Enter the OneWorld confirmation number. You should then be able to select your seats and meals.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just a data point / tip: If you have seat assignments on an AA codeshare of a JL flight and call AA to change them, there seems to be a bug. It will tell the agent the new seat is assigned but when they reload the reservation ... it actually didn't change. Fun!

A crafty agent today wouldn't take no for an answer and decided to un-assign the seat and then assign it and that worked. So do ask the agent to confirm the seat change actually worked and, if not, to try the un-assign/re-assign route. Lesson learned: Know exactly what exactly seats you want (with backups) before you call so you don't have to call again like I did

Final fun fact: I am able to use the Amadeus CheckMyTrip app to view the trip with the JL record locator (which I cannot do on the JL website, like many others). And it shows me new seats!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Selecting JAL seats when ticked booked with AA miles

Hello. Sorry if this was asked before. I bought an Award ticket using AA miles in business (SEA-NRT). It appears that even though the window seats are available if I were to purchase the full-fare J seat, these seats are actually blocked if I try to pre-select them. Does JAL block these for AAdvantage Awards? Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Hello. Sorry if this was asked before. I bought an Award ticket using AA miles in business (SEA-NRT). It appears that even though the window seats are available if I were to purchase the full-fare J seat, these seats are actually blocked if I try to pre-select them. Does JAL block these for AAdvantage Awards? Thanks.
They are blocked for awards in general (also JL), unless you have OWS or OWE status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.