Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by himurakent
I booked a trip on AA with 3 legs where 2 legs are operated by JAL (fare class are R,I,I), The last leg is now missing in both JL and AA website. Should I call JL or AA here?
Ditto. My third leg also disappeared. JAL updated their route information on 1/12/22.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220101/

Yep, you should call AA.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by imbisibol
Ditto. My third leg also disappeared. JAL updated their route information on 1/12/22.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220101/

Yep, you should call AA.
Not sure if this is the cause, but there was another update today on 01/13/22 which includes cancellation of JL65/66 for Jan 19-31.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I looked back in this thread a bit and didn't see anyone else mentioning it so excuse me if it's repeated information but I booked some award travel on JAL for late this year. In my aadvantage account the trip details explictly list the associated JAL confirmation # so no need to call either AA or JAL. I could go direct to the JAL site to mange my booking and select the seat myself. I don't recall this information showing up the last time I booked award travel on JAL so maybe it's something AA has only started displaying semi recently.

Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ts.pub
I looked back in this thread a bit and didn't see anyone else mentioning it so excuse me if it's repeated information but I booked some award travel on JAL for late this year. In my aadvantage account the trip details explictly list the associated JAL confirmation # so no need to call either AA or JAL. I could go direct to the JAL site to mange my booking and select the seat myself. I don't recall this information showing up the last time I booked award travel on JAL so maybe it's something AA has only started displaying semi recently.

The thread deals with AA codeshare bookings, not award bookings. Awards are always on the native flight number, JL16 in your case. So your booking is of a different nature, but it would indeed be practical if AA also showed that for codeshare flights. But the jury is still out....

​​​​​​
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
A quick investigation has revealed that it is also available for codeshare bookings. So a valuable addition to the AA app. Thank you for highlighting this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:38 pm

I think this was implemented sometime last year. However, it was useless for me when I booked an AA code share flight operated by JL last time (booking class R, OWE). AA.com did show show the JL booking reference. but JL website didn't accept it and I couldn't do anything with it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
As a recent datapoint: I managed to get my seat selection done by calling AA and the support desk was able to assist the AAgent to have the OWE preferential seats available. The JL booking reference won't work for the JL website to retrieve the AA ticketed booking, so indeed, a phone call is still the sole option.

P.S. Somebody should seriously tidy up this thread. There's way too many AAdvantage award redemption posts here, which have zero to do with flying AA by JL, which is the actual subject at hand. The off-topic makes the thread cluttered.
ernestnywang and pWei like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:19 pm

When I chatted with AA, they claimed they had no way to do it. I can HUCA but what are the magic words?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:19 pm

I called again, they put me on hold for 20 minutes, said they tried to do it but JAL's system would not accept the seat reservation. Has anyone seen that before?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:33 am

In case anyone is wondering how to get past the error page on the JAL seat assignment website...JAL's English language site has been broken for a while. I guess they can't be bothered to fix it? Seat reservations only work on the Japanese version of their website.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by matthewr
I am flying ORD-HND in june on the 77w and am not an elite. I booked a 60k milesaver on AA. Will I be able to choose window seats in row 5?
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
An award is not code share, it is always on the native flight number.

The answer, however, is that you will not be able to preselect a window seat in row 5. If they are still available when on line check in opens, you can get them.
Is the answer above (from Feb 28, 2020) still valid for row 5?

I'm on a revenue ticket: AA flight # and JL metal, SFO-HND B777-300 with 2-3-2 configuration in J, non-elite

Row 5 is reserved for elites but opens up at OLCI for everyone? Is it really a lot better than the main J cabin (more privacy and less noise)?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Is the answer above (from Feb 28, 2020) still valid for row 5?

I'm on a revenue ticket: AA flight # and JL metal, SFO-HND B777-300 with 2-3-2 configuration in J, non-elite

Row 5 is reserved for elites but opens up at OLCI for everyone? Is it really a lot better than the main J cabin (more privacy and less noise)?
That is still valid, but with the lowest booking classes on codeshare even elites don't always have access to row 5 until OLCI.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:39 pm

That is still valid, but with the lowest booking classes on codeshare even elites don't always have access to row 5 until OLCI.
Even with a paid JAL-marketed business class ticket in "J" booking class I couldn't select row 1 window sides on 788 as an AA OWS until a few days before the departure (as OWE, I can reserve any seat). So I would guess OWE is pretty much needed to reserve 5A/5K on 77W in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kentauta
Even with a paid JAL-marketed business class ticket in "J" booking class I couldn't select row 1 window sides on 788 as an AA OWS until a few days before the departure (as OWE, I can reserve any seat). So I would guess OWE is pretty much needed to reserve 5A/5K on 77W in advance.
Even as an explat 5A/K on an AA codeshare is still a no go in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:45 pm

Even as an explat 5A/K on an AA codeshare is still a no go in advance.
Yes, Thanks. Looks like I forgot that this is a thread about seat selection on AA code share flight while typing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.