Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by grussell121
Just double checked my reservation confirmation email, I have both a AA & JAL PNR along with the AA codeshare flt # but it does say flight operated by Japan Airlines. I compared this to a similar email confirmation codeshare AA/BA RT flight from DCA to INV. They are almost identical, minus the specific flt details.
It is not a matter of a difference in the booking confirmation, or the structure of the JAL PNR. A codeshare booking and an award booking are two different concepts. And they have different implications for seat availability and seat assignment process.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:29 pm

Booked two F seats for this May through AA. I can book my seats through JAL and it says ticketed but when I pull up the reservation there's no e-ticket number anywhere. Should there be a ticket number through JAL or is the status: ticketed and ability to choose my seats good enough?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by formiles
Booked two F seats for this May through AA. I can book my seats through JAL and it says ticketed but when I pull up the reservation there's no e-ticket number anywhere. Should there be a ticket number through JAL or is the status: ticketed and ability to choose my seats good enough?
If issued by AA you have to go to AA to see the e-ticket number.
formiles likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:52 pm

I just looked up our reservation on AA and it says ticketed but there's no ticket numbers listed anywhere on the reservation page, confirmation email, etc.

All it says is status: ticketed. Gives me the confirmation code for AA and JAL and we were able to choose our seats on JAL's website. Should I be concerned there's no ticket number on either AA or JAL?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just looked up our reservation on AA and it says ticketed but there's no ticket numbers listed anywhere on the reservation page, confirmation email, etc.

All it says is status: ticketed. Gives me the confirmation code for AA and JAL and we were able to choose our seats on JAL's website. Should I be concerned there's no ticket number on either AA or JAL?
If it says ticketed it should normally be OK. I can't remember the details of where AA puts the e-ticket numbers on the confirmation emails. Though if you booked via phone agent you normally get a confirmation email for the booking, and a second email once it has been ticketed. I can't remember if that is how it works for online bookings as well. It has been too long since I booked something that was possible to do online. But as issueing agent, AA should definitely have sent you something with the e ticket number on.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:34 pm

If the ticket number can make you feel better, and you would like to get it without calling AA, there are a few things you can try. (CheckMyTrip by amadeus was probably the easiest, but the recent redesign eliminated useful info like that.)

One way is to enter the amadeus PNR on different airline websites hoping at least one of them shows your itinerary with the ticket number. For example, finnair 's eticket receipt is pretty comprehensive.

Another thing you can try, if you are willing to do a bit of hacking, is to examine data sent by the airline website to your web browser using the browser's debug feature (press F12 in case of Chrome) when the itinerary is obtained from the website. Both aa.com and jal.com transmit lots interesting data to the browser though it doesn't display them. I don't have any active reservation with JAL right now, but I have a BA-issued ticket with a mix of BA/AA operated/coded flights, and aa.com shows the ticket number without the IATA airline code (the first 3 digits) like this:
Attached Images  
ernestnywang and formiles like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by JALPak
You need to assign seats through AA if your flight is AA coded.
I have a booking made with AA with two JAL segments and one AA segment. Only the AA segment can be accessed in manage booking on AA site.
Tried entering the JAL info given on their website and cant find the booking. JAL asks for flight number and date as well. Tried both AA and JL equivalent, no luck.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawneve
I have a booking made with AA with two JAL segments and one AA segment. Only the AA segment can be accessed in manage booking on AA site.
Tried entering the JAL info given on their website and cant find the booking. JAL asks for flight number and date as well. Tried both AA and JL equivalent, no luck.
If your Japan Airlines flights are AA coded, you will likely have to call AA to get seats assigned.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If your Japan Airlines flights are AA coded, you will likely have to call AA to get seats assigned.
Any tips on how to get through?
Tried calling and get we are too busy and a hangup, no option to hold.
Also love the part where it tells me seats can be done online...

Edit: Called AA and asked to make a reservation, was allowed to stay on hold until agent answered.

Last edited by shawneve; Jun 12, 2023 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 20, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But the comment in the wiki thy OWE has access to all seats is generally not true. Row 5 is off limits until OLCI it seems.
I am stuck in this loop as well. On expert flyer, seats in row 5 look blocked but only one booked. AA says all are "booked." Can't call JAL to move to this row.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
I am stuck in this loop as well. On expert flyer, seats in row 5 look blocked but only one booked. AA says all are "booked." Can't call JAL to move to this row.
AA can't see the difference between a blocked seat or a booked seat. You will have to wait until online check in to pick anything that remains in row 5.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 12:46 pm

Am in the same boat here. I take it, if it's a jal ticket but booked through AA we are SOL till check in?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Am in the same boat here. I take it, if it's a jal ticket but booked through AA we are SOL till check in?
Booked through AA isn’t an issue as long as the flights are JL coded. If it’s AA coded, you will need to ask AA to assign your seats or wait till check-in opens.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Booked through AA isn’t an issue as long as the flights are JL coded. If it’s AA coded, you will need to ask AA to assign your seats or wait till check-in opens.

Got it. My trip info shows JAL. How would I go about assigning seats? Best seat on the 787 in business?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 3:32 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Got it. My trip info shows JAL. How would I go about assigning seats? Best seat on the 787 in business?
Get the JAL PNR from AA, then login to JAL MMB site to pick seats available to you.
The _Banking_Scot and ZBigFam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.